Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-01-2007, 13:05   #31
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Quote:
Ever consider the fact that if singlehanders were not out there to begin with, even more flares and emergency signals would be missed?
No.

If they carried crews and set watches, odds are they would not miss any emergency signals.

I can see different angles to the argument, just don't agree to ignoring safety rules.
What is the justification?

Another question I did not see an answer to: What drives these guys so set out on their solo-circumnavigation? Something to prove? Set a new record?

Still don't get ! Does anybody know...?

CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2007, 13:16   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"
CSY Man has the right idea.

"Don't know about other sailors, but when I am navigating I never drink, hell or high water."

That's my rule too if I'm going out of the Bay for more than an hour.

Lookouts are necessary!! Not just nice to have.

C'mon folks read COLREGS and follow the rules. Everyone wins.

Regards,
JohnL

Old 20-01-2007, 13:22   #33
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Another question I did not see an answer to: What drives these guys so set out on their solo-circumnavigation?
Because it's there.

One of my favourite sayings is "You ask me Why?..........I asked Why Not"
Old 20-01-2007, 13:30   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
When Slocum did it, there were no rules of the road, and as Kai stated, there were fewer and slower vessels - and Slocum disappeared at sea! Presumably, he was run down by a steamship.
While a sailboat doing 6-7 knots won't travel a great distance during a 20-minute catnap, what about the approaching container ship doing 24 knots. That's a closing speed of 30+ knots, enough to cover ten miles in 20 mins. Throw in haze or fog and your trust that the big guy is going to see you is a little misplaced. Even if the vis is good, there's no saying that the 3rd mate hasn't got his nose in a book with an ear to the radar alarm - unfortunately little plastic boats usually don't paint until it's too late.
I have no problem with single-handed daysailing, but I have to agree fully with CSYMan on the solo passage-making. btw, I believe the Irish government is now looking at prosecuting single-handers for the Rule 5 violation.
Old 20-01-2007, 15:57   #35

Boat: C&C 27
Why they do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSY Man
No.
Another question I did not see an answer to: What drives these guys so set out on their solo-circumnavigation? Something to prove? Set a new record?

Still don't get ! Does anybody know...?
A great read is A Voyage For Madmen written about the first Golden Globe race. Robin Knox Johnson had just sailed his sloop back from India and thought it would be fun. Donald Crowhurst thought it would revive his dying business. Bernard Moitessier undertook it for as much a spiritual journey as anything and liked it so much he abandoned the race to go around again. Chay Blyth had just rowed across the Atlantic (and we think siingle handers are nuts!) Nigel Tetly wanted the money.

I'm sure that profession sailors race these long races to fill the resumes. Some people just want to be left alone. The reasons are going to be as varied as the sailors themselves.
Old 20-01-2007, 17:32   #36

Passage making single handed is not easy. It is comforting NOT to be in shipping lanes. I assume that no one is on watch on other vessels... that they are auto pilot and the watch crew is sleeping. This means that these vessels are postential hazards.

Having sailed back and for the carib from NE it is amazing how many vessels you can see... or how few you do see.

I usually only sleep for 20 minutes at a stretch and use the radar with a guard zone. I run the engine when I am above in the cockpit when I can scan the horizon... down below I want to be able to rest and even hear any changes in the wind and wave and the engine masks these audible cues.

I prefer having a small crew for long passages.. 1 or two good sailors. This allows decent rest and some comraderie as well. And if you need some serious help for heavy weather all hands on deck.

I love my auto pilot... it is a reliable crew and doesn't eat, use water, fart or complain... And she looks good too.. Alison the Alpha autopilot.... Love the gal.

I would never make landfall at night after a long passage.. even when I am pretty familiar with the "terrain".. too easy to mess up. I will slow down to arrive when the sun is up... What's a few hours in the scheme of things?

Day trips singlehanded are no where near the challenge except for watch keeping because there are too many boats when you cruise coastal... and many are power boats and they move fast... so you can't be lollygogging down below even in the most familiar waters.

Coastally you find all the power boats who program waypoints and routes, link the GPS to the autopilot, opewn the throttle and then ignore everything to set up their fishing tackle or watch TV.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Old 20-01-2007, 19:02   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef
Coastally you find all the power boats who program waypoints and routes, link the GPS to the autopilot, opewn the throttle and then ignore everything to set up their fishing tackle or watch TV.

Jef
sv Shiva
Contest 36s
Where do you sail, DefJef?? Long Island Sound or something??

"Hey Antony! Hurry up and set that autohelm already and let's catch the Knicks game!"
Old 20-01-2007, 20:01   #38
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
CSY, if some people like sailing single handed, and they pose no threat to anyone else, then why not let them?
Old 20-01-2007, 20:56   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I think this thread has just about run its limits but I'm not ready to let it go just yet.

When teaching my daughter to drive I always told her to stay within the speed limit, use her turn signals, keep both hands on the wheel and to concentrate full time on the road ahead and what other drivers were doing. I also told her not to drink and drive and wear her seatbelt always.

Did I follow all these rules when I was growing up? Did I go down the highway with many beers under my belt at 110 in my folk's 53 Buick? You can guess.

The point is. We know the rules. We choose when to apply them. We know we will be prosecuted if things don't go just right.

We know we will pay the consequences. Is it worth it?

Do we keep a proper lookout? A proper lookout is only a legal call after we've been rammed or we ram someone else. Are we willing to pay the consequences?

Kind Regards,

JohnL
Old 20-01-2007, 23:09   #40
Now on the Dark Side: Stink Potter.

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 2001 Albin 28TE.
Quote:
CSY, if some people like sailing single handed, and they pose no threat to anyone else, then why not let them?
I certainly agree: You are right on.

Let them sail and do their own thing if they pose no threat to anybody else.

In case you missed a few postings on this thread: How do you justify ignoring the International Safety rules, then saying it poses no threat to other Mariners?

Still confused....
CSY Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2007, 00:41   #41
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 ft John Spencer Schooner
For me to pose a threat to someone it would have to be a boat that I could damage by hitting it, in the ocean that would be another recreational sailboat, it would have to be not keeping a lookout as well for a collision to occur. Seems like an acceptable rist to anyone prepared to drive on an LA freeway.
Old 21-01-2007, 14:18   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure
Quote:
Originally Posted by dana-tenacity
another recreational sailboat, it would have to be not keeping a lookout as well for a collision to occur.
The other boat might be a single-hander too.
Old 21-01-2007, 17:16   #43

Boat: C&C 27
SkiprJohn,
Roadmaster or Skylark? Remember those oil bath airfilters.... now that was technology! My first set of wheels (long before I was legal to drive) was a '58 Roadmaster.

back to the topic
I'm curious how professional fishermen get away with not keeping a lookout. Around here when a shrimper is not in a heavily navigated channel he is likely at the back of his boat fussing with his equipment. He knows when he will run out of room and heads back forward before he gets there. Every morning before traqffic stsarts on the bay the crabbers are out checking their pots by themselves. I see it frequently.

While there is no argument that sailing single handed over such a distance that you must give up watchkeeping is illegal, one could argue that the rule is insufficient to practically apply outside of a courtroom.

Back to Kai's original point. For the single handed recreational sailor there is a higher level of vigilance necesary. Everthing gets stowed immediately after it is used, lines don't remain loose in the cockpit, no drinking at the helm, the boat is set up prior to leaving the berth or anchor. there is just a higher level of prep.
pv
Old 21-01-2007, 18:19   #44
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hey Pura,

The year was 1961, the Buick was '53. It was a two door hardtop (no post). I believe it was a three-holer but I definitely know it was a V-8 (first year they made them in the Buick). It was a big step up from our 1950 straight eight four door as far as I was concerned. Great car and I was sorry that I took it without permission and drove it 200 miles in one night, had too much beer and smoked in the car. But, you know, I was 16, and very dumb. I only repeated that scenario a couple dozen more times but in my own cars at least. (Slow learner).

My point in that story was that I knew it was wrong and I would never instruct someone to do it that way. I also have done many things wrong in sailing and will never tell anyone to disobey COLREGs even though I have myself. Lots of folks used to turn off their running lights at night to conserve energy because bulbs ate up amps and there weren't solar panels. How dumb is that?

I remember hearing the "bunk, bunk, bunk" of fishing boats coming into Asian harbors at night on Destroyers and not knowing where they were. We really had no idea if we ran them down or not. Old wood boats don't show up well on radar. We were all good lookouts and had them on the forecastle, fantail and port and starboard bridgewings. Couldn't see most of those boats. Just hoped we didn't hit them.

I've two friends who have lost their boats when asleep single handing. Luckily they didn't take anyone else out with them and their injuries were minor. Neither had insurance. I really don't think there is anyone here that wants to do that.

Regards,

JohnL
Old 21-01-2007, 23:22   #45

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Steel Roberts Offshore 44
Proper Lookout...

So who's definition of proper lookout are we taking here?
Can anyone quote cases where prosecution (of singlehanders) have taken place?

Tags
singlehanding

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: