Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2016, 03:04   #31
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single-handed ocean crossing

As Sulaire says.. the first 3-5 days are the worst as you re-learn the boats sounds underway.. or as in my case on occasion start from scratch.. the 'Get Up' sounds and the roll over ones..
I never do a sea trial before a delivery as I don't see the point much.. if anythings going to happen it'll happen in the first 3-5 days so a look over the boat is enough prep.. anything happens after that you deal with or improvise best you can.. rig temp stays if one pops etc...
Another thing is.. don't press the boat.. you'll wear yourself out..
You'll still get there.. just less wear and tear on you and the boat.

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 03:50   #32

Boat: Farr Phase 4, 12.8m
Re: Single-handed ocean crossing

Here is my 2c worth. I've done a bit of single handing , including crossing oceans, racing and cruising. Sleep is one of the most important risks you must manage. It is a little different for everyone, you'll find what suits you.
First a couple of points. A stopped yacht takes up the same sea space as a moving one. Stopping may reduce your possibility of hitting a floating object, but does nothing to prevent you from being run down. A ship can go from horizon to impact in 20 mins or less. Even sleeping 1/2 an hour can be too long. So, to minimise the danger and what works for me, here are my thoughts - for offshore, not coastal!
Good Nav lights are essential, be seen.
Good radar reflector, be seen
AIS transponder - see and be seen. Set realistic guard zones that give you time to wake up, asses the threat, and avoid if required
Radar, with guard zone. See in poor weather, dark and when not on deck.
LOUD alarms for radar and AIS, capable of waking you when really tired, and conditions are noisy.
Great autopilot, best you can get.
Solar, wind, and other charging systems to allow you to run all this, all the time.
In good conditions, sleep as much as you can. Be as ready as possible for long periods of no sleep. I often sleep 4 hours at a time. I've done 36 hours on deck as well.
There is still risk, of course, nothing about ocean sailing is risk free.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-07-2016, 17:08   #33
cruiser

Boat: Ebbtide 33' steel cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post

Plenty of things that go bump in the night that aren't running AIS and that can slip through a yacht radar's guard zones. .
Hmmm, not seen many. Still maybe I was snoozing . If it's showing a light then with a full crew you've a chance of seeing it, no lights - forget it, imho.

Big ocean, mostly empty.

Mid ocean I'm usually very well rested, it's the bit closer to land the wears you out.
conachair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 17:25   #34
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

On pilot charts are the trans ocean shipping routes. It would be good to be a little more aware near these routes.
rdw
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 17:47   #35
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDW View Post
On pilot charts are the trans ocean shipping routes. It would be good to be a little more aware near these routes.
rdw
Helpful, but I find marine traffic density maps more useful..

AIS Vessel Tracking - AIS Positions Maps | AIS Marine Traffic
Old 31-07-2016, 19:58   #36
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Here is a link to a later edition of my free Singlehanded Tips book, that was mentioned earlier in this discussion:
http://sfbaysss.org/resource/doc/Sin...rdEdition2.pdf

In the published version of the book I discuss Jessica Watson's collision with a ship in detail.

If you speak with my good friend Jeanne Socrates, (who has completed 3 1/2 solo circumnavigations and is about to leave on her 4th), she will tell you how much AIS with alarms has improved the situation. She relies on it constantly. She takes no chances with ships, warning them off by radio if they come anywhere near her course.
Old 31-07-2016, 20:15   #37

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Jeanne is off again? Best wishes to her, I followed her non-stop circumnavigation on the HF radio last time round. Helped me to while away many a night on the mooring in Sydney.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:42   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Olson 30

Quote:
Jeanne is off again? Best wishes to her
Yes, she's in Victoria now prepping for an October departure. She is already the oldest woman, next she'll be the oldest person, man or woman, to complete the voyage. She's doing lots of interviews on TV and radio right now. Here are a couple:
British sailor to attempt record-setting circumnavigation from Victoria - British Columbia - CBC News
Jeanne Socrates gears up for another circumnavigation - Practical Boat Owner
Old 03-08-2016, 20:32   #39

Boat: Westsail 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
If someone was going to cross an ocean single-handed, how do they handle sleeping?
You carry a chart of steamship routes. Steamships go on surprisingly narrow tracks, one behind the other.

I bunk down at about 11 pm till sunrise. When I sleep, I wake up every hour or so to roll over, and then I'm motivated to jump up and look around. There's nothing out there, except on the steamship tracks.

When I cross a steamship track, I'm up for 24 hours keeping watch. Then I'll see, maybe, 3 ships. When you see a ship, you know you're on a steamship track.

I set the sails for the weather, and reef at night. There's a wind vane on the boat, working all the time. On an ocean passage I almost set it and forget it. I adjust it every day for the coming weather, but I don't sweat the small stuff. I don't adjust it finely twice a night--that's a racing sailor. If the boat is going to be pointed in the general direction of the port I'm going for, albeit all over the ocean, that's fine, that's as good as wind vanes do.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 20:55   #40

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
You carry a chart of steamship routes. Steamships go on surprisingly narrow tracks, one behind the other.
Oh no they don't.....

There are simply areas of greater or lesser traffic density .... nada mas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ais.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	115.1 KB
ID:	128969  
Old 04-08-2016, 02:39   #41
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seymore View Post
Not all of them.....

Old 24-08-2016, 07:39   #42

Boat: a sailing boat

I think a cross jump to here is a good read.

He spent 48hrs making a solo landfall in Durban !!!!!

Moore 24 Circumnavigation - Page 2 - Cruisers & Sailing Forums

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2016, 08:30   #43

Boat: Catalina 30

[QUOTE=Jaden44;2178654]
Quote:
If someone was going to cross an ocean single-handed, how do they handle sleeping?

I'd like the original poster to detail her/his motivation for this post.

I note that the OP started an earlier thread on Jan-25-2016 whereby she (or he) identified the intention to purchase a $800 "junker" of Craigslist. Hardly a suitable vessel to cross oceans single handed. So why post a question about the sleeping routine of solo sailors?? Other CF members have posted responses, no doubt in the belief that their input will be of value to the original poster. However there appears to be no correlation between this thread and the OP's earlier thread on Jan-26-2016.

I'm sure other CF members will be interested in the reply.

lindabarzini 25-02-2016 13:30
Long-term parking in Florida Marinas

If I purchase a boat in Florida (or anywhere on the East Coast), I am thinking it will require 1-2 months in repairs or more. I am thinking about buying a $500-$800 junker off craigslist that works. It would be far cheaper than renting ......

Who cares and what does it matter what her intentions were???? I had to sell my boat last year but am still active here. After day care costs go away and student loans are paid down we are going to be purchasing a new or new to us boat to sail on with our children. So I still ask questions about ocean sailing even though I only own a speed boat right now. Is that ok or should I refrain from asking until I purchase our next sail boat?

Sometimes people just have a question and CF has a lot of people willing to answer it even if it's just a dream to the OP. The funniest part about all this is she does have a boat.

Quote:
Jaden44 - you're an idiot. If you're going to creep on my past messages, at least try to read them. I was talking about buying an $800 CAR off Craigslist, instead of renting a CAR if I was going to spend a month or two on the hard "re-fitting" a boat.

As of now, I am leaning toward an Amel (if I really want to circumnavigate) or possibly a Catamaran if I just want to stay in the Caribbean. Currently, I have a 2005 40' Jeanneau Sun-Odyssey.

Tags
ocean crossing, single