Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-07-2016, 02:52   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Single-handed ocean crossing

I reduce the mainsail sail at sunset and use the furling jib for control.. its your main power anyway..
Set the auto pilot and get my head down on lee side of the cockpit weather permitting.. or if its lumpy I'll heave to and sleep below till refreshed.
Folk fret overmuch about being run down by ships.. like containers its a one in a million event.
Only time I've ever been hit was by another sailboat with 4 crew...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 03:32   #17

Boat: Westerly Sealord
Re: Single-handed ocean crossing

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
I reduce the mainsail sail at sunset and use the furling jib for control.. its your main power anyway..
Set the auto pilot and get my head down on lee side of the cockpit weather permitting.. or if its lumpy I'll heave to and sleep below till refreshed.
Folk fret overmuch about being run down by ships.. like containers its a one in a million event.
Only time I've ever been hit was by another sailboat with 4 crew...

I'm guessing you are paid by the day

On a more serious note two of my friends have disappeared in the last 10 years while singlehanded ... one in the SE Pacific ( Orbit), one in the Indian Ocean(Stella)... just saying......
Old 30-07-2016, 03:32   #18

See excellent writeup by Andrew Evans in his book Singlehanded Tips:

http://sfbaysss.net/resource/doc/Sin...irdEdition.pdf

Cheers
willpep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 03:35   #19

Quote:
Same same here... crewed or not... no future in doing the 'dance of death' up by the mast at 02dark.......
Old 30-07-2016, 04:27   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
I'm guessing you are paid by the day

On a more serious note two of my friends have disappeared in the last 10 years while singlehanded ... one in the SE Pacific ( Orbit), one in the Indian Ocean(Stella)... just saying......
Nope... by the mile just enough incentive to keep moving while staying safe..
An early death aint worth a few dollars more.
Old 30-07-2016, 15:34   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Want a good night's sleep? Stay in port.....
This is an arrogant and useless comment. I'm not trying to be Webb Chiles. I want to cruise safely and comfortably.

If you can't reliably sleep at night single-handing an ocean passage, then I'll make sure to have additional crew, but endurance for the sake of endurance or trying to be a tough guy doesn't equate to being a good sailor to me.
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 16:01   #22
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindabarzini View Post
This is an arrogant and useless comment. I'm not trying to be Webb Chiles. I want to cruise safely and comfortably.

If you can't reliably sleep at night single-handing an ocean passage, then I'll make sure to have additional crew, but endurance for the sake of endurance or trying to be a tough guy doesn't equate to being a good sailor to me.
I think he was being humourous.. at sea one sleeps with one eye and one ear open..
I get to a port after a crossing.. 1st night is eat drink and be merry.. then sleep for 36hrs.. nothing short of a Tusnami is a threat..
Shut up.. Go to sleep Phil..!!
And Yes
One does start talking to ones self at times..😄
Old 30-07-2016, 16:09   #23
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

On a more serious note two of my friends have disappeared in the last 10 years while singlehanded ... one in the SE Pacific ( Orbit), one in the Indian Ocean(Stella)... just saying......[/QUOTE]

Thats the risk one takes living this life..
Its not just solo's who've gone missing.. delivery crews do as well.. and crewed ocean crossers..
Sad to hear of your friends but I'm sure they knew the odds.. and went anyway like the rest of us.
Old 30-07-2016, 17:39   #24

Quote:
I think he was being humourous.. at sea one sleeps with one eye and one ear open..
I get to a port after a crossing.. 1st night is eat drink and be merry.. then sleep for 36hrs.. nothing short of a Tusnami is a threat..
Shut up.. Go to sleep Phil..!!
And Yes
One does start talking to ones self at times..😄
Thankee Boatie .

As you say - singlehanded you are never going to get a good night's sleep.

With a crew of two..... not much chance if you want to keep watches ... 3 ( if in cold nasty weather) or 4 hours ( in the trades ) maybe twice a day.

With a *good* crew of three .. yes .. you can stay well rested.

'endurance for the sake of endurance or trying to be a tough guy ' is not why I kept/ keep the hours I kept/keep..... it was/ is more the desire to stay alive.

Plenty of things that go bump in the night that aren't running AIS and that can slip through a yacht radar's guard zones. .

I'm sure many two handed or single handed peoples keep no night watch and stay well rested and most will tell you its OK cos they never see any ships anyway... funny that.

Back on track... you may as well keep sailing while you sleep ( as opposed to lying ahull )... I think the odds on hitting something would be exactly the same.... unless you sail into the side of an island.

Maybe its age related but I find I only need about 5 hours sleep even when ashore.... ( that doesn't include my afternoon nap).
Old 30-07-2016, 17:58   #25

Boat: 1979 Bristol 35.5 CB

Robert Manry crossed the Atlantic 1965 in Tinkerbelle, 13-1/2 footer, dropped sail and put out sea anchor every night. 84 day crossing.
sanibel sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 18:50   #26
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
If someone was going to cross an ocean single-handed, how do they handle sleeping?

Does anyone put the sails down and go to sleep in their cabin with maybe their radar on? If they kept the sails up with autopilot, eventually the autopilot will likely go off course at some point.

When passages are a couple weeks or longer, how is this usually handled single-handed?
Golly I hate replying to thse questions as the asker is normally crazy and then I get all these crazy dudes pontificating on how crazy I am.

But I have had a few beers so I will.

BTW, as far as I know theres only a very few people on this forum who have single handed deep ocean over 1,000 nms often, ummm, me included.

OK so, now onto subject.

I wonder if theres a beer in the fridge?

I knew I shouldn't have come back from the bar early. Saturday night. *Yawn*

Now, like I was saying *Yawwwwn*. I do like my new soft fluffy pillows warmn night tonight, fluffy pillow. Snuggle a bit then write this stupid reply.

*yawn*

*Snuggle*

Zzzzzzzzzzz

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2016, 21:09   #27

Boat: Aluminium 44' cutter-ketch

[QUOTE=lindabarzini;2178018]
If someone was going to cross an ocean single-handed, how do they handle sleeping?

I'd like the original poster to detail her/his motivation for this post.

I note that the OP started an earlier thread on Jan-25-2016 whereby she (or he) identified the intention to purchase a $800 "junker" of Craigslist. Hardly a suitable vessel to cross oceans single handed. So why post a question about the sleeping routine of solo sailors?? Other CF members have posted responses, no doubt in the belief that their input will be of value to the original poster. However there appears to be no correlation between this thread and the OP's earlier thread on Jan-26-2016.

I'm sure other CF members will be interested in the reply.

lindabarzini 25-02-2016 13:30
Long-term parking in Florida Marinas

If I purchase a boat in Florida (or anywhere on the East Coast), I am thinking it will require 1-2 months in repairs or more. I am thinking about buying a $500-$800 junker off craigslist that works. It would be far cheaper than renting ......
Jaden44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 00:10   #28

[QUOTE=Jaden44;2178654]
Quote:

I'd like the original poster to detail her/his motivation for this post.

I note that the OP started an earlier thread on Jan-25-2016 whereby she (or he) identified the intention to purchase a $800 "junker" of Craigslist. Hardly a suitable vessel to cross oceans single handed. So why post a question about the sleeping routine of solo sailors?? Other CF members have posted responses, no doubt in the belief that their input will be of value to the original poster. However there appears to be no correlation between this thread and the OP's earlier thread on Jan-26-2016.

I'm sure other CF members will be interested in the reply.

lindabarzini 25-02-2016 13:30
Long-term parking in Florida Marinas

If I purchase a boat in Florida (or anywhere on the East Coast), I am thinking it will require 1-2 months in repairs or more. I am thinking about buying a $500-$800 junker off craigslist that works. It would be far cheaper than renting ......
I think you have taken that post totally out of context....

Ping the Arrogant Useless bloke......
Old 31-07-2016, 00:15   #29

Jaden44 - you're an idiot. If you're going to creep on my past messages, at least try to read them. I was talking about buying an $800 CAR off Craigslist, instead of renting a CAR if I was going to spend a month or two on the hard "re-fitting" a boat.

As of now, I am leaning toward an Amel (if I really want to circumnavigate) or possibly a Catamaran if I just want to stay in the Caribbean. Currently, I have a 2005 40' Jeanneau Sun-Odyssey.
lindabarzini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2016, 01:27   #30

Boat: Hans Christian 41

Linda,

Listen to boaty, el pinguino and mark j, they know their stuff. You are really fortunate to have them on this thread, there must be hundreds, ( maybe thousands!&#128512, of years experience there!

I have done single handed ocean crossings, and loved the experience. Treat it as one long watch, i slept during the day hours for short periods at a time, and if i could at night, but the squalls come at night so best be prepared! I also take in a reef at sunset, can seem unnecessary at times, but you will be glad you did sometimes. The calm days are a great chance to catch up on sleep too.

I grew up single handing, so i am used to it, if you are not, try it out first, if you have not already. A few nights will give you an idea. The first 3 days are the worst as you get into the groove of the crossing.

See you out there!
C.
Sulaire is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ocean crossing, single