Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 17:56   #16

Re: Single handed docking help

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Make a big loop bowline so it's easy to loop over the dock cleat. So in your drawing the line wouldn't go to the bow, it would go through the midship cleat.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>

A friend made a neat way to open the eye of any dock line with a loop: stuff the loop of line into a clear hose!

Try this for a better explanation:

*** Nautiduck, Randy Kolb's, "Dock A Matic" is described in the Catalina 25 Forum here: http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/fo...TOPIC_ID=15645 I've thought about it, but am still using our 40 foot long 1/2 inch dockline for that purpose without the nifty "loop in hose" idea. Whatever works for you.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 18:31   #17

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
A friend made a neat way to open the eye of any dock line with a loop: stuff the loop of line into a clear hose!

Try this for a better explanation:

*** Nautiduck, Randy Kolb's, "Dock A Matic" is described in the Catalina 25 Forum here: http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/fo...TOPIC_ID=15645 I've thought about it, but am still using our 40 foot long 1/2 inch dockline for that purpose without the nifty "loop in hose" idea. Whatever works for you.
I was going to suggest that, but I thought my post was long enough. [emoji3]

It definitely works! It also gives the loop some heft so it can be tossed or swung a little easier.
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 21:10   #18

Boat: Other people's boats

Quote:
No, not a "stern bridle method", which I'm not sure what that is. It's a aft leading spring line led from a fairlead near midship. The ideal place for this fairlead (which the OP has a cleat instead, but can be used as fairlead) is aft of midship, around a 3rd fwd from stern. This makes a pivot point using engine and rudder to also bring you alongside.
Ah, there's a good video of it here (skip to 3 minutes in for the setup). Essentially a line run outside the lifelines from a midship cleat to a stern cleat or cockpit winch, and with sufficient slack to toss the midpoint over a cleat on the dock.

For a diagram, it would look like this:

It's very similar to using a midship spring, but perhaps easier to get on.
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:11   #19

I'm offshore so I can't see the video. Though from the diagrams I think it would shift the pivot from the midship cleat to the dock cleat since the dock line has to move as a whole for the stern to move. Easier to get on the cleat possibly, but I think he would better with a large loop at the end of a spring, perhaps with hose to hold the loop open. You really do have a lot of control of the boat and bow with the engine in forward and using the rudder.
Old 12-08-2019, 02:16   #20

An excellent online book about docking with sailboats can be found on Morgan's Cloud. It's behind a pay wall ($2/month), but you couldn't spend $24 on yourself and your boat anywhere else. It's a wealth of knowledge both in the online books and in the comments by experienced offshore cruisers. A dockline or a fender is way more expensive!

https://www.morganscloud.com/series/docking-made-easy/

I'm not affiliated.
Old 12-08-2019, 03:20   #21

Boat: Jeanneau 44i SO

Bow Truster. My 44 foot had a dock something like that one place I went often and I had the same issue when solo. So I would back in, catch the rear cleat then bring the bow back in with the bowtruster and have a loop ready to catch the mid cleat. Still a challenge. Especially when the the boat docked in front of you didn't leave excess room.
l2ridehd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:34   #22

Boat: Hunter 33 "Cherubini" (1982)

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
...Essentially a line run outside the lifelines from a midship cleat to a stern cleat or cockpit winch, and with sufficient slack to toss the midpoint over a cleat on the dock.
It's very similar to using a midship spring, but perhaps easier to get on.
Yes, thank you. I do like this technique. I will definitely give it a try.
paulg222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 04:51   #23

Quote:
No, the spring should go from your winch through your midship cleat to the middle dock cleat. I used the term "bowline" to describe the knot. Make a big loop bowline so it's easy to loop over the dock cleat. So in your drawing the line wouldn't go to the bow, it would go through the midship cleat.

No, not a "stern bridle method", which I'm not sure what that is. It's a aft leading spring line led from a fairlead near midship. The ideal place for this fairlead (which the OP has a cleat instead, but can be used as fairlead) is aft of midship, around a 3rd fwd from stern. This makes a pivot point using engine and rudder to also bring you alongside.
Ok, yes I understand now (lol bowline knot, yes at first I thought you meant a line from the bow). Yeah, the one downside is getting the bowline loop over the cleat, which as people have said can be done using a boat hook with tubing technique.

I think it has the advantage over stern bridle technique (see video posted above) of a more definite pivot point, but is perhaps harder to get on. If I can avoid using a boat hook that would be good, although I saw in the linked post that they use a dedicated 4' boat hook for this purpose, so that might work.

I'll have to experiment with this and with the stern bridle method to see which is easier to get on as well as which is best for ultimately getting the boat close in to the dock.
Old 12-08-2019, 04:59   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailormed View Post
Once you have the line attached to the port cleat/winch you put rudder to port and slowly increase rpm. Your bow will come to port depending on rpm and rudder angle ( do not go over 45°). Once the boat is held you have all the time for all other mooring actions.
So one time in strong winds I wasn't able to get the bow in using a line like this, but perhaps I had rudder more than 45deg. Is that a critical thing? Or maybe I just didn't rev high enough.

Anyway this method does have the advantage that I don't need to get close to the long pier to get a line on, I can pull close to that short part of dock, which ought to be easier, but might have to use a boat hook in some situations to grab the hanging line.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:50   #25

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Going over 45° rudder angle increases the "braking" power of the rudder and decreases the steering effect of the rudder. Maximum benefit is only when the prop stream is flowing around the rudder, so this will not be a solution when you have twin rudders and a central prop.
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 10:11   #26

Boat: Outremer 51

How about this?

Run a long line up your starboard side, through a cleat at the bow and back to the cockpit on the port side. Run a second line through the middle cleat port side and back to the cockpit.
As you approach in position one, loop both lines over the dock cleat
Let the wind push you back and haul in the starboard line until tight enough - position 2
Haul in port line to bring the port side next to the dock.
See attached pics
Attached Files
File Type: pdf SH Dock004.pdf (1.16 MB, 89 views)
HBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:52   #27

Should be a piecacake. Don't blind yourself with science. Below is a description of how I would do it based on how I do do it in a 30 foot five-tonner coming into a slip that is tighter than yours :-).

Like I, you have a right hand prop I gather. So item #1 is that you are doing the right thing by coming port side to. Item #2 is to make sure that you are properly PREPARED. I hope you have a gate in your life lines just aft of your main bulkhead. Having one facilitates swift, elegant work which is what this situation calls for. Coming in, set your fenders. Open the port side gate. Belay a longish purpose specific line on your port midships cleat and bring it OUTBOARD of all stanchions etc, to the steering position and hang it where you can easily get at it, and in such a way that it won't snarl. This line is a purpose specific tool and not part of your normal dockline outfit.

Come in at about 30º to your slip, clearing the "stump" by a few inches. The wind is your friend here, but of course you are maintaining steerageway so there shouldn't be an issue. As soon as your transom clears the stump, put 5º of starboard rudder on, and go astern at 1,800 RPM. This will lay you dead in the water parallel to your slip, and with your midships cleat just about at the end of your slip.

Play in a systematic manner with the approach angle, the rudder deflection and the RPM making mental note of what you do until you can consistently lay the boat alongside 6" from the slip with the midships cleat just within the length of the slip. Practice doing this. A LOT :-)!

When you can do it WITHOUT FAIL, drop the BIGHT of your line over the cleat midway along the slip, haul taut and make the running end of the line fast aboard. There is a special technique for heaving a BIGHT of rope so it will encircle a cleat. Learn to use that technique.

A towboat hitch over your sheet winch works wonderfully for making fast the running part. The cleat on your quarter will also do, if that's more convenient. When this is done to your satisfaction, Swiftly come to AHEAD 1,200 RPM leaving the rudder 5º to starboard. If you blow it, just go around again.

The boat will now, working against the line, draw herself into the dock. Your head might blow off a little, but in a 5-tonner that doesn't matter as long as you are made fast! You can now step off through the gate, which will be very close to the dock, looking for all the world as if you knew what you were doing :-)!

Note that using this technique there is simply NO temptation to get off the boat until she is already made fast. There is no trick to moving a 5-tonner from the position your boat will now be in with the forepart sticking out beyond the slip, to the position you want her to be in. That's just a question setting and belaying your dock lines appropriately. You can, if you like, set a temporary "midships breast" at the pivot point even if you have to belay it at the foot of a stanchion. This will prevent the wind from taking her while you set your regular dock lines, and it will facilitate moving her incrementally using the engine.

This works in a slip that has cleats to drop a bight of line over. If the slip has a bullrail, rather than cleats, the situation is a little more difficult and not conducive to doing it on your lonesome.

My home slip has a bullrail. So far so good. It's dodgy, but by being prepared I've been able to come to "STOP" (i.e. neutral with the engine still running), step smartly off at the gate, and get my line around the bullrail, quick as a wink, with a round turn and two half hitches tied on the bight. Like I said: So far so good, but I don't like it. When I go to the boat again in a coupla weeks, I'll install a cleat on top of the bullrail so I can follow my own advice :-)!

All the best

TrentePieds
TrentePieds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 13:17   #28

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

If the wind is blowing you off the dock, back in, attach a line, have a long enough line attached forward to pull the boat in. Get on the dock and pull the line.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 13:22   #29

Boat: Bruce Roberts 44' Steel Mauritius

You can also back in, attach a stern line then power the boat into the dock. Turn toward the dock and power. It should pull right in. A bit scary but you can leave it in forward get on the dock and secure the lines. Not recommended.
You have much more control backing a sailboat into the wind in most cases. Just need a line attached midship. Leave bow line where you can reach it from the dock.
Mithril Bham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 13:26   #30

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

Run a line from the middle dock post to the end of the stub/finger dock. Leave it with an easy to catch loop. approach dead slow, catch the line, bring to dead stop, bring line to stbd winch and crank her in sideways. If the wind is strong just take your time. once at dock, catch your regular dock lines and secure her. Let your winch do the work
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock, Docking, single