Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-04-2008, 18:26   #31
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by marc View Post
Hi, I was probably doing 5 1/2 to 6 kts. slightly off of dead downwind. My sym. spin. seems to be the right size, I just feel it should be faster.
Marc

By the way, my boats name is the same as your handle, only spelled
Here's 2 Life

I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the sails or the boat. It has to be the Captain.
__________________

__________________
Herestolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 19:53   #32
Registered User

Join Date: May 2006
Location: Queensland, Australia
Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Posts: 242
Murphys Law

Dont do it on your own.I use an asymetrical all the time and start bringing the sock down when speed /wave action starts digging the bow have ran steadily at @15 knots on long passages with about a 2 thirds of the sock down in plus 20 wind.The main times for problems are with the wind too light If you let your spinnaker out in 8 knots as suggested within a few seconds your boat speed will take up the wind speed and douse your spinnaker and Murphys law puts it under your bow and out the back tangling on keels rudders props.Make sure you have at least 10 plus before letting sock up then boat speed vs drag should keep it tight.Great fun ,great speed and easy on the helm.But dont do it without either autohelm or better still ask someone to come take the helm while you try it out If THE LAW kicks in you will apreciate the extra pair of hands and probably save a sail.When the wind picks up you need to be able to start bringing the sock down to keep boat speed down and avoid the old p.p once again necessary to have a helmsman or auto.Once you get it right nothings faster or more thrilling as you get up to wave speed and surf for long stretches.East coast Aussie trade winds enable us to use on long passages and have used for ten days straight without needing the mainsail.Great for covering long distances fast.Good luck Geoff.
__________________

__________________
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2008, 21:36   #33
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herestolife View Post
I'm sure there's nothing wrong with the sails or the boat. It has to be the Captain.
Ha, You're not the first to tell me that. So, what's my problem? Too tight, too loose, boat too heavy, or just too dumb?
Marc
__________________
marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 18:01   #34
cruiser

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,525
Imagine2Frolic

Imagine2Frolic wanted a picture.... here it is!

I flew the spinnaker today since conditions were right (downwind). It was EASY! I made a big deal out of it for nothing.

Since I'm not using a pole, I just tacked down the tack at the bow, then ran the sheet (guy?) back to the cockpit and to my winch(es).

I put up the spinnaker in the sock, used the various little lines to pull the sock up, and poof! Out came a spinnaker. It was asymetrical too! I didn't know that until I flew it.

I really enjoyed flying it. Trimming sails is cool and all, but flying sails adds another dimension. I feel so fortunate to have a boat with a proper downwind sail.... my first time.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	spinnaker.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	3358  
__________________
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 18:51   #35
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,413
The assym is like a huge genny and much easier than a chute with a pole and the sock makes setting and dousing rather simple. You can sail quite high with them too.

Have fun!
__________________
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 19:13   #36
cruiser

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
The assym is like a huge genny and much easier than a chute with a pole and the sock makes setting and dousing rather simple. You can sail quite high with them too.

Have fun!
Thanks!

No pole required on a cat, anyway. That's why I thought it wouldn't be so hard. I was able to get close to a beam reach with it and it sure was fun.

See you in the 'Sound with it in late May.
__________________
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 19:30   #37
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,413
You're on~!
__________________
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2008, 19:55   #38
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Ohio
Posts: 2,311
Congrats Sean! But for all the others, setting a pole is nothing either. Two minutes , the pole is set and away you go. Adding Hp downwind is easy and makes light air downwind a pleasurable endeavor.

Joli

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
Imagine2Frolic wanted a picture.... here it is!

I flew the spinnaker today since conditions were right (downwind). It was EASY! I made a big deal out of it for nothing.

Since I'm not using a pole, I just tacked down the tack at the bow, then ran the sheet (guy?) back to the cockpit and to my winch(es).

I put up the spinnaker in the sock, used the various little lines to pull the sock up, and poof! Out came a spinnaker. It was asymetrical too! I didn't know that until I flew it.

I really enjoyed flying it. Trimming sails is cool and all, but flying sails adds another dimension. I feel so fortunate to have a boat with a proper downwind sail.... my first time.
__________________
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 06:10   #39
CF Adviser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Wherever our boat is; Playa Zaragoza, Isla Margarita
Boat: 1994 Solaris Sunstream 40
Posts: 2,439
Joli, I agree that setting a chute with a pole is not particularly difficult - although both setting, dowsing and jibing one is much more difficult with a pole than without. Really, as Sean has just found out, its another real advantage to catamarans.

Brad
__________________
Southern Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2008, 06:29   #40
cruiser

Join Date: Nov 2004
Posts: 4,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joli View Post
Congrats Sean! But for all the others, setting a pole is nothing either. Two minutes , the pole is set and away you go. Adding Hp downwind is easy and makes light air downwind a pleasurable endeavor.you

Joli
Thanks, Joli.

I know it seems like nothing to you racer types, but to a lazy cruiser like me, it was pretty cool.
__________________

__________________
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
singlehanding

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Single-handed Docking Procedures sneuman Seamanship & Boat Handling 95 24-06-2013 17:59
Sailing spinnakers single-handed Stede General Sailing Forum 2 30-05-2008 22:26
Single handed mast climb system malikalalu Deck hardware: Rigging, Sails & Hoisting 14 28-02-2008 17:35
Asymmetrical Chute Gear for Cat sailvi767 Multihull Sailboats 7 15-09-2007 00:39
Asymetrical Chute Charlie General Sailing Forum 0 12-04-2006 08:27



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:58.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.