Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2019, 08:51   #31

Re: Showering how often?

A shower a day in the tropics. Even though we spend a great deal of time in the water we find it very refreshing to shower in fresh water before bed.

Our water budget is for 6-7 gallons per person per day which allows us to maintain the same habits afloat as we do ashore. Our showers are not long, but if the goal is to merely get clean it doesn’t take much. We also keep bottles in the shower to capture the cooler water before the water from the water heater reaches the shower head. We save that water for rinsing our dive gear and for flushing the head.

Before we started cruising I read voraciously about the life-style and my wife and I both decided that the 1liter sponge bath and poop in a bucket scene was not for us. After 10 years we are happy with the systems that we installed to allow us to enjoy hot and cold running water and a daily shower. Much of our cruising is way off the grid and we are routinely away from docks for months at a time. It takes a few $$ to get a boat to the point of self-sufficiency but it is not as expensive as one would think and it keeps the adventure from turning into an ordeal.

ajchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 08:55   #32

Early morning swim then a fresh water rinse. A full blown shower at night when we are staying on the boat. Works out well for us.

atlroofman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 09:33   #33

Location: Full time RV traveler presently (temporarily) in Nashville TN
Boat: Cal 39

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Why shower in the morning if you're just gonna start getting dirty right away? You'd have to wash your sheets as often as you wash you clothes! Crazy morning shower people
It depends upon what work you do and when. Some people work physically hard and are dirty and sweaty when coming home. Others develop more of a sweat n bed with their wife.
secrabtree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:07   #34
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

We (2) mostly shower everyday. Currently we are on day 10 of the same 50 gal water tank.
Old 03-05-2019, 10:11   #35
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Hi Everyone, just wondering how often other sailors shower when cruising?
We are on day 7 of our Easter cruise and have been having a 5 litres each bucket and flannel bath in the cockpit every night. Not feeling dirty yet and could imagine washing like this for a fair while.
Cheers
We don't use the aboard shower. While cruising we shower when we get to a marina.

On my roundtrip to Hawaii it took us 22.5 days over due to becalming winds three times and 21.5 on the return (much longer distance). With a four man crew (2 per shift) on 4-hour shifts going over and 6-hour return there was very little time...besides water offshore is survival not a luxury.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:32   #36

Showering how often?

Depends on the season and my level of activity and type of activity, the ambient temperature and humidity, and whether I have running fresh water supply.

In the winter, while away from the city, say up in our remote mountain cabins when the water and hydroelectric power are turned off, diving naked in the snow and then making snow angels works to cleans the body and is stimulating and refreshing. Washing hair is problematic as one ends up with iced hair and a brain freeze as the year round creek water can be as could as 36F. Whereas the surface water of the lakes can be frozen or if not frozen then as low as 33F, which makes a dip literally breath taking and using a bucket to dump over you is like taking the challenge that was in vogue a few years ago.

On warm days and with warm water, either ocean or lake, time spent swimming is essentially bathing, no need for soap, albeit if I am snorkeling and scrubbing the hull the residue can gunk one up and requires vigorous scrubbing to cleans the muck off.

I love to spend time IN the water not just sailing, even when on a long passage, I find it beneficial to hove to daily and to take turns going for a swim in the ocean. Salt water is a joy to float in, so relaxing compared to fresh water, and I like the tingle of dry salt on skin, but not in the eyes.

However I got to admit that a return to civilization or a well equipped boat with a hot fresh water shower that is luxury revisited.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 10:40   #37
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I like a quick rinse every day. Most often what worked best is a stern shower nozzle. I swim or snorkel a lot, so after doing that, a quick rinse (maybe shampoo the hair) and you are good to go for another day or two!

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:31   #38

For decades, while in the warm, clear waters of the tropics, my wife and I (and occasional guests) shower this way and feel squeaky clean and salt free. 1. With minimal (or no) clothes. Go for a quick dip. Come up on to the aft deck and 2. shampoo, head to toe. Use as much as you need (most shampoos work well in salt water.). 3. Jump back in, stay as long as you need and 4. Come back up to the aft deck and take about a quart of fresh water, or about a half gallon if you have a lot of hair and rinse off the salt. Done! Very refreshed, clean and salt free.
As was said earlier, if a tropical shower supplied by nature comes buy, break out the soap! In over 20 years we never had a problem with this. Although we had 2 heads and showers down below, we rarely used them unless we were in a marina which was not very often.
merrydolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 11:37   #39

good lord.... ! really that important ?.... in passing I spent some time in the carribean small island no running water except for your cistern
the locals used to swim... rub down with sand.. or just swim
easy rhythms...
arcticmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 14:43   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by laika View Post
Why shower in the morning if you're just gonna start getting dirty right away? You'd have to wash your sheets as often as you wash you clothes! Crazy morning shower people

I totally agree. It makes no sense to go to bed on a yacht being dirty. Bed linen takes a lot of water to wash. And if you are on a yacht and will jump in the water some time after breakfast, whats the point of having a shower before that.

And you are hardly going to get that dirtly lying in bed (unless of course your linen is dirty because it went to bed dirty). So if you shower before bed, your sheets stay clean for longer and you are hardly much dirtier than the person who has a shower first thing in the morning. Some people just don't think!!
shawndear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 14:54   #41
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410

got the generator running in order to run the air conditioning

when it cools down in the boat I'm going to run the hot water heater for 10 minutes to have hot water

then I'm taking a short shower to get clean

and step out into my nice cool boat
Old 03-05-2019, 14:56   #42
Sempre Avanti

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Spectra watermaker = 2 x a day.....
Old 03-05-2019, 15:18   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by secrabtree View Post
It depends upon what work you do and when. Some people work physically hard and are dirty and sweaty when coming home. Others develop more of a sweat n bed with their wife.

Most wives I know prefer you to be clean before getting sweaty with them. But I have not met yours. She must like you dirty before getting dirty.

shawndear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
shower