Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-08-2014, 10:08   #1

Boat: TBD
Should I keep my boat in St Thomas?

I am considering the various spots in the Virgin Islands to keep a new boat, and St Thomas came up as an option. Does anyone have experience with the harbor/marina facilities there as well as the town, airport and hotel situation for visiting guests? I would also be interested to hear about it as a base to sail from.
Thanks!

Old 13-08-2014, 16:34   #2

Re: Should I keep my boat in St Thomas?

I lived in Saint Thomas, VI for a year and a half... but never aboard a boat. So I cannot help there. But I can help with the island in general.

They do have some nice (but expensive) marinas. By far, the nicest (and probably most expensive) is at Yacht Haven Grande, which is close to the cruise ship docks, and downtown Charlotte Amalie. Crown Bay also has access to downtown and is the closest to the airport (KSTT or the ICAO identifier TIST). On the East end of the island in Red Hook is American Yacht Harbor. It is within walking distance of all the restaurants, the bars, and the ferry to Saint John. In case of storms, while I was there, most people would relocate to the mangroves for cover. There are obviously more marinas than the ones I listed, but those are the biggest ones.

The airport is full service, with nonstop flights to Florida and New York. There are also island hopper flights to other Caribbean destinations, and there is seaplane service out of the harbor to Saint Croix.

Cabs are expensive, but there are very specific 'safari' routes that cost $1 to hop in the safari (modified trucks with a seat chassis installed where the bed usually is) and ride the route to your location. Safaris come very often. There are plenty of chain hotels for guests, and people also ret out their houses or rooms on some of those rent a room websites.

The island in general is nice, but incredibly expensive (thanks to being a cruise ship destination). It also has it's fair share of crime. In the 1.5 years I was there, I was the only one of my friends to not be robbed at gunpoint, but I also had my own car and they did not.

If you have any other questions that I can answer, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

Old 13-08-2014, 20:38   #3

Boat: TBD

Quote:
Originally Posted by travy View Post
I lived in Saint Thomas, VI for a year and a half... but never aboard a boat. So I cannot help there. But I can help with the island in general.

They do have some nice (but expensive) marinas. By far, the nicest (and probably most expensive) is at Yacht Haven Grande, which is close to the cruise ship docks, and downtown Charlotte Amalie. Crown Bay also has access to downtown and is the closest to the airport (KSTT or the ICAO identifier TIST). On the East end of the island in Red Hook is American Yacht Harbor. It is within walking distance of all the restaurants, the bars, and the ferry to Saint John. In case of storms, while I was there, most people would relocate to the mangroves for cover. There are obviously more marinas than the ones I listed, but those are the biggest ones.

The airport is full service, with nonstop flights to Florida and New York. There are also island hopper flights to other Caribbean destinations, and there is seaplane service out of the harbor to Saint Croix.

Cabs are expensive, but there are very specific 'safari' routes that cost $1 to hop in the safari (modified trucks with a seat chassis installed where the bed usually is) and ride the route to your location. Safaris come very often. There are plenty of chain hotels for guests, and people also ret out their houses or rooms on some of those rent a room websites.

The island in general is nice, but incredibly expensive (thanks to being a cruise ship destination). It also has it's fair share of crime. In the 1.5 years I was there, I was the only one of my friends to not be robbed at gunpoint, but I also had my own car and they did not.

If you have any other questions that I can answer, let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
travy,
that's great information - thanks!
Old 13-08-2014, 20:52   #4

Boat: Leopard 48 Catamaran

I have kept my boat in virgins for three years.
Don't consider USVI. Too expensive and not the place to be. Nanny cay BVI. Cheaper and life is better there Message me to discuss. I know what I'm talking about

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 14-08-2014, 04:17   #5

Boat: Cal 44
Send a message via ICQ to barboak

We have kept our boat in storage at Puerto del Rey Marina in Puerto Rico for the past 2 years and are happy with it. Very professional and not cheap but quite convenient. Nice to be able to sail up up and down island from there when we return in the fall. They have a "hurricane storage" program which gives some peace of mind but only up to a point. As we usually travel with a small dog having a non-stop flight home is very nice and don't miss flying through Panama or Miami. Many of the charter boats in the USVI come to PDR in late July and haul out for a few months during peak hurricane time.

barboak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 05:03   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytogether View Post
Don't consider USVI. Too expensive and not the place to be. Nanny cay BVI. Cheaper and life is better there Message me to discuss. I know what I'm talking about

I enquired at nanny cay in July this year and they have 12 boats on the waiting list for permanent births
A 48' would cost around $900 per month plus $ 35 per day for electric hook up, not metered, no negotiation, just a flat rate (With AC )
The locals call it a mosquito hole , but it didn't seem any worse than any where else in July.
Saying all that, it is still a great place to keep a boat and great facilities if you have the dollars.
Hope that helps

Old 14-08-2014, 05:04   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by happytogether View Post

I enquired at nanny cay in July this year and they have 12 boats on the waiting list for permanent births
A 48' would cost around $900 per month plus $ 35 per day for electric hook up, not metered, no negotiation, just a flat rate (With AC )
The locals call it a mosquito hole , but it didn't seem any worse than any where else in July.
Saying all that, it is still a great place to keep a boat and great facilities if you have the dollars.
Hope that helps

Old 14-08-2014, 06:20   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Travy.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-08-2014, 10:40   #9

Something is not right here, you are saying $35 a day electric, that's over a $1000 a month!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post
Hope that helps

Old 14-08-2014, 10:49   #10

Sorry my bad , here it is

The BVI’s leading resort marina, and boatyard.

Boatyard
Marina
Hotel
Real Estate
Restaurants
Chandlery
Amenities & Services
Blog & News
Marina Rates
Hourly Dockage Rates

First hour is free. Each additional hour is $15.00. Minimum charge: 35 feet.

Summer Rates – From May 1st to October 31st, 2014

LengthDailyMonthlySeasonal
35 ft - 49 ft$1.35$0.70$0.60
50 ft - 99 ft$1.60$0.85$0.70
100 ft +$2.40 per foot per day
Multihulls$2.15$1.20$1.20
Winter Rates – From November 1st to April 30th 2014/15

LengthDailyMonthlySeasonal
35 ft - 49 ft$1.40$1.00$0.80
50 ft - 99 ft$1.65$1.15$0.95
100 foot +$2.50 per foot per day
Multihulls$2.30$1.65$1.30
Monthly Dockage

Is only available by prior arrangement. One month dockage required as a non-refundable deposit.

Electricity Rates

Daily Monthly
110 volts without AC$12.00 per day110 volts without AC$120.00
110 volts with AC$25.00 per day110 volts with AC$250.00
220 volts without AC$17.00 per day220 volts without AC$170.00
220 volts with AC$35.00 per day220 volts with AC$350.00
Metered Electricity (where available) - $.050/kw
Water

Price per gallon $0.15

Locker Rentals available on request

Payments of all charges to be settled by cash, travelers cheques, Visa or MasterCard prior to departure. — NO AMEX

All rates subject to change without notice.

Book a slip

HOTEL

1 284 394 2512
hotel@nannycay.com

BOATYARD

1 284 394 2512
VHF Channel 16/68
boatyard@nannycay.com
MARINA

1 284 394 2512
VHF Channel 16/68
marina@nannycay.com
MORE NANNY CAY

Gallery
A Brief History of Nanny Cay
Our Social Community
WebCams
AIS Map
Event Calendar
Nanny Cay TV
Nanny Cay Challenge
FEELING LOST?

Find what you're looking for on our interactive map

NWS PUERTO RICO

Forecast for Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands waters | Latest Satellite Image

Old 14-08-2014, 11:46   #11

We left our boat Jeanneau45 in PR from 2004 to 2011. Found PR the best place of all the islands because, Safety of the marinas, Location, lower overall cost. Great airport with lots of flights. Cost cheaper than flying to USVI or BVI. Cost of goods and services lower.. Has Sam's Club and Costco. I tried USVI and found it not the safest place and everything cost a lot.
Old 14-08-2014, 20:28   #12

Boat: Leopard 48 Catamaran

Nanny Cay has a guy named Johnny who runs Johnny's maritime he has his own leased slips and can make separate deals if you're interested in going to Nanny Cay and having your boat taking care of by a local private message me and I can hook you up with Johnny

Old 15-08-2014, 05:35   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, cmtindle.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: