Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2014, 10:58   #46

Re: Should I buy another Boat or save for Cruising?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjer40 View Post
I have really considered the club and would because they have lots of functions and sailing partners....They do require that ASA classes to take out their boats which are a good idea, but another cost added. It is also a one year commitment.
I agree with the old frog. Consider that one-year commitment as going to cruising university. You'll get the ASA courses, time on water, experience different boats (and different sailors with different opinions) , and you should come out of it better able to answer the question you've started with.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2014, 21:02   #47

Gonna be sixty soon and wrestling with the same
Owned a 27" Ericson for many years, boat less for the past 10 or so.
I was planning on buying a boat to cruise the Bahamas and Caribbean
Winters for the next few years.. I asked advice here and it helped me
Come up with a plan. The plan was complicated by a recent hip
Replacement. Some particulars. My Admiral doesn't retire for another five years
We live in New Jersey. It was pointed out to me that my trips down to Fla
Would soon devolve into repair junkets and become more expensive
Then I figured. For me the real enjoyment of sailing is being on the water
Not pealing paint in a boatyard. So my new plan is attend sailing school
For a week this summer, get ASA 101,103,104, and then continue with 105
And 106. I know how to sail and these will be like a big refresher
And should give me the ability to charter anywhere I want to.
So in a nutshell I'm going to make an investment in my abilities
And just charter for awhile. I also plan on seeking out crewing opportunities
I'm sure if I go back to some of my old haunts on LI I can get on some
Weekday night and Sunday race crews. I also got a permit to put a day sailer
On a nice size lake of about 2500 acres 10 miles from my home.
So I've been hunting for a nice 16 to 18" day sailer which is very different
From the 30's I was looking at. Kinda like the Precision line and the Harbor 20
The dream isn't dead but I think my new plan just makes more sense
Until I make the move down south permanently. I think the feedback
The good folks gave me here was spot on
Happy and Safe Sailing to All
Time2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2014, 16:11   #48

Boat: CL52

Wow,
You sure got a lot of responses and different ideas.

For me personally, i wouldnt really base my decision on those numbers you posted.. something like 22k to join the club for 10 years vs 90k to own a boat less the money you sell it for in 10 years..

Over a 10 year period that is not that much money per year. (I am not a 1 percenter) Overall, I would suggest you make a list of what you want to do with boating over the next 10 years and make your decision based on that. 50K dollars one way or the other right now shouldn't affect what you choose to do down the road, especially if you are financially secure and have your retirement squared away.

My suggestion for you is to make a list of what your ideal boating would look like over the next ten years (or 20) then buy, or charter, or join the club, based on what fits your 'list' the best.

Boating involves financial decisions, of course, but if all you were concerned about is finances, you wouldn't boat at all (or have cable tv or eat out, or buy new clothes, etc.)

The PNW is probably the best place to cruise in North America- you have a great opportunity there to do some great cruising while you are still employed on weekends and vacations. After you retire, you can go farther, but I certainly would not waste the opportunity you have now at your doorstep. We live in California and we choose to cruise up there every summer.

Good luck!
Captain Bligh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 16:59   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bligh View Post
Wow,
You sure got a lot of responses and different ideas.

For me personally, i wouldnt really base my decision on those numbers you posted.. something like 22k to join the club for 10 years vs 90k to own a boat less the money you sell it for in 10 years..

Over a 10 year period that is not that much money per year. (I am not a 1 percenter) Overall, I would suggest you make a list of what you want to do with boating over the next 10 years and make your decision based on that. 50K dollars one way or the other right now shouldn't affect what you choose to do down the road, especially if you are financially secure and have your retirement squared away.

My suggestion for you is to make a list of what your ideal boating would look like over the next ten years (or 20) then buy, or charter, or join the club, based on what fits your 'list' the best.

Boating involves financial decisions, of course, but if all you were concerned about is finances, you wouldn't boat at all (or have cable tv or eat out, or buy new clothes, etc.)

The PNW is probably the best place to cruise in North America- you have a great opportunity there to do some great cruising while you are still employed on weekends and vacations. After you retire, you can go farther, but I certainly would not waste the opportunity you have now at your doorstep. We live in California and we choose to cruise up there every summer.

Good luck!
Thanks Captain! We have decided to buy and are trying to decide if we want the comfortable condo boat for swimming and entertaining or the capable offshore cruiser. Pro's and con's to each. I do think a very comfortable production boat would be a blast for the next ten years. Lots of sleeping room for me, walk thru transom for swimming, and a lot of the things you wouldn't want on the ocean cruiser. But I also see a lot of value in having years of experience with your ocean crossing boat. A lot of people have suggested we just go now. We have talked about it, but it doesn't make sense to us to walk away from two pensions that will pay out for the rest of our lives. If one of us dies a few years after we start drawing, then I guess it wasn't in the cards. We are just going to find a happy medium. Put in the next ten years as financially responsible as possible (knowing boats are an expensive hobby) and go from there. Your right about the PNW. Still lots of boating to do up here before we go. So we just have to figure out if we want to be in protected waters in the most comfort or sleeping in a sea birth It kind of seems obvious when I write it out. The more fun the wife has for the next ten years, the more my dream of crossing the blue stays alive!
bigjer40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 17:14   #50

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:
The more fun the wife has for the next ten years, the more my dream of crossing the blue stays alive!
And you have just discovered the most important rule of owning a boat: keep the Admiral happy!

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 17:18   #51

We have done the fixer and for a while it would be nice to buy something very easy to sail and comfortable. We have looked at a newer Hunter 27 that has furler main, walkthrough transom with great swimming platform, super comfortable. That is appealing. But we are both suckers for the full keel traditional boats and that is what we will take offshore (which we most likely will not do in the next ten years). I believe I do know what I want in my cruising boat. Having said that, I will trade most of the wants for a comfortable birth that we can both sleep in!
Old 19-03-2014, 17:20   #52
CLOD

Boat: none

The whole problem with this thread is the snob thinking that a nice production boat isn't also a capable ocean crossing boat. You may not to just get any production boat, but there are lots that will do both nicely. And even if crossing oceans you still are going to live along the coast 90+% of the time.
Old 19-03-2014, 17:29   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
The whole problem with this thread is the snob thinking that a nice production boat isn't also a capable ocean crossing boat. You may not to just get any production boat, but there are lots that will do both nicely. And even if crossing oceans you still are going to live along the coast 90+% of the time.
Was hoping not to turn it into "what's a blue water capable boat post", BUT...... Would love to hear your suggestions

Very stable in rough seas
Very important is queen birth for both that accommodates 6'02" 250lbs. (Not a V-Birth)
Heaves to very well
Can solo if wife or I are unable to assist

Any boat is more competent than the sailor blah blah blah....

What are your recommendations for 30-38 footer 30K range production boats. And I say this with a very open mind
Old 19-03-2014, 17:48   #54
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

What are your recommendations for 30-38 footer 30K range production boats. And I say this with a very open mind
Never mind, no boat in the world can do all that stuff for 30k.
Old 19-03-2014, 17:53   #55

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
Thanks Captain! We have decided to buy and are trying to decide if we want the comfortable condo boat for swimming and entertaining or the capable offshore cruiser. Pro's and con's to each. I do think a very comfortable production boat would be a blast for the next ten years. Lots of sleeping room for me, walk thru transom for swimming, and a lot of the things you wouldn't want on the ocean cruiser. But I also see a lot of value in having years of experience with your ocean crossing boat. A lot of people have suggested we just go now. We have talked about it, but it doesn't make sense to us to walk away from two pensions that will pay out for the rest of our lives. If one of us dies a few years after we start drawing, then I guess it wasn't in the cards. We are just going to find a happy medium. Put in the next ten years as financially responsible as possible (knowing boats are an expensive hobby) and go from there. Your right about the PNW. Still lots of boating to do up here before we go. So we just have to figure out if we want to be in protected waters in the most comfort or sleeping in a sea birth It kind of seems obvious when I write it out. The more fun the wife has for the next ten years, the more my dream of crossing the blue stays alive!
Hope this helps...
Attached Images

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 17:54   #56

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Was hoping not to turn it into "what's a blue water capable boat post", BUT...... Would love to hear your suggestions

Very important is queen birth for both that accommodates 6'02" 250lbs. (Not a V-Birth)
Heaves to very well

Since you've decided to buy the "big boat" now then my advice is go on every boat that you can talk your way aboard. You might fall in love with pictures but you don't know if that's an accurate representation and you won't know it fits until you lay down in the bunk which seems to be a very important factor for you. You might get all kinds of recommendations here but you still won't know the boat until you are aboard. Once you've found one you like then post questions about it here and you'll get answers from owners and former owners.

There are a lot more boats up in the Seattle area to see than in Portland so you might think about a few days vacation for boat shopping. There are two advertised now that I'd go look at if I were in the area mainly for price. One is a Cal 40 that needs a new engine and the other is an Acapulco 40 that was all set up for cruising but the current owner is too ill. But, there are many others that come available from time to time. You missed a Swan and a Hans Christian in Portland that were advertised a few months ago. They do come up from time to time so keep your fingers on the keyboard and gas in your tank and you'll find the right boat for your taste as it is now. You don't know what you'll want when you retire. Your taste may change.
Old 19-03-2014, 17:54   #57

Boat: Tayana 37

Quote:

Heaves to very well

Catalina 36 would fit. For your long term plans, maybe a Shannon 41. That may also work for your immediate wants as well. Just an idea.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Kevin84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 17:56   #58

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Oh, and you can do blue water sailing in a Catalina 27 or a Columbia 28. But, would you want to?
Old 19-03-2014, 18:03   #59

You are trying to look 13 years into the future which is almost impossible to plan for.

Whatever you buy now really isn't a temporary boat as you plan on selling it in ten years.

Why not consider buying something now that will suit the way you will use if for the next eight years or so and see how your thinking evolves?

You will get lots more experience and probably a totally different set of cruising boat requirements with that experience.

Obviously not bringing your dog buddy along is not an option so the sailing club is out.
sailpower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2014, 18:57   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by VirtualVagabond View Post
Hope this helps...

Tags
cruising