Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-01-2008, 19:39   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Quote:
Had a capt, after the world's longest Baja Bash send me for some belts upon reaching SD. When I returned to where the boat was, there were my bags on the dock and no boat! The captain skipped while I was gone without paying agreed upon fees.
Some people are only limited in doing what they actually can do. He could and he did. Sometimees what people can't do says a lot too.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 21:04   #17

Boat: Sceptre 41
Just to clairify terms. In Australia where this thread was started Backpackers has a different definition than it does in the USA. Backpackers is a youth hostel. So the question would be translated "To take a crew member from a youth hostel.

On that note I took some freinds sailing down the coast from Port Townsend WA to Astoria OR. We got socked by 30 knot winds for a couple of hours as dark descended on us.

One of the crew got seasick so he couldn't stand. IMO Everything will be fine if you don't encounter any storms or rough times but the chances of that are a little slim. I wouldn't do the trip unless I had at least one other competent sailor.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2008, 22:17   #18
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I would never take unknown crew on.
Even if it was a 100 footer. I would just sail it with a storm jib by myself.

The only people who take on crew are those that feel unconfident with themselves or their boat. (* that I have experienced. Disclaimer for some filthy rich folks with cooks, skippers etc supplied from fully paid crew services) And in all my leadership training with the army the only thing that would scare me is some vagabond gypsying the world who is on my boat, out of sight of land, who does not respect me or my property and I can't overpower.

As for imbecile skippers I have crewed for... there has only been one. When I realised he was sleeping during his watches (in the Med) I got off at the next port. But ones who felt unconfident, well theres been a few and I have tried to empower them so they feel likes its their ship, their cruise, their decisions etc and they've learned confidence. But each time I've been with another crew and an unconfident skipper the other crew is always finding a way to make the owner feel less of himself. Its just a knowledge is power trip.

(Notice above I've said unconfident, not incompetent. Theres a difference. Most people are reasonably competent - they just dont know it!)

As for someone jumping on an unknown boat to crew... you need to know them. Somehow you must know them, you just can't guess.
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote