Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2012, 19:15   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

I can see this thread headin for the rocks. DOJ are you at the helm?
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 19:15   #92

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

Thailand has a government health care plan and private services. I recently went to a private international hospital in Phuket for a sinus infection. Total charge to me, a foreigner, was $145 for office visit with the doctor, x-rays and a complete blood profile. And I made the appointment online and only waited maybe 15 minutes to see the doc. If I had gone to the local public hospital it would have been even cheaper but I would have had to wait much longer I'm guessing.
Old 27-03-2012, 19:22   #93

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Wow!!!!

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 19:59   #94

Boat: NA, Looking for a 36-47 ketch.

While I'm sure I could get a boat set up to work on $500 with a few years of work I'm a pretty sure I can't be set up to run on that since it has probably cost a good $100k in the last 12 years just keeping me running. Something about having to get defibrillator changed every 3-5 years coupled with getting stents and shunts install. Now there would be a money saver, DIY heart surgeries. I hope to get a boat and fix it and get it to where I can sail it around for cheap but I'm gonna have to start go and finish cheap doing it.

Bright side is I can already do about 80% of the work, just need to get over my paranoia of electricity. Big different between hot plugging computer parts and screwing with 12-48vdc.

And since it would be weird not to go off topic. I bought a pair of Teva sandals for $79.95 back in 1998 and have been wearing them ever since and besides a bit of frizz on top of the strap they are not showing any sign of wear.
sycpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 20:45   #95

Boat: Catalina 22

Everybody Sing!

"and another thread bites the dust, yea
another one bites the dust..."

Atoll,
When ya can find a way to keep it about practical ways to cruise on $500/mo, try again.
GorillaToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 21:10   #96
abh

What does practical mean? Do everyone have the same definition for that word, or is it more like each for his own?
abh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 21:53   #97
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

At $500 a month, the type of boat is important. Generally a monohull with one engine. Generally smaller to keep the fuel costs down too. A cat would work maybe, but that extra engine would eat more gas plus maintenance.

My fuel budget is about $40-$50 a month. Probably $60 a month this summer if gas / diesel prices keep going up. My boat gets about 2-1/2 hours per gallon at cruising speed. Note: No dinghy motor. Just oars / paddles.

Simple Boat systems, No radar, Big screen chartplotter, TV, etc. A low cost low power usage netbook (which are getting harder to find...), Depth sounder or two. I've the original heathkit depthsounder with Nixie tubes that the original owner installed on the boat and I added a newer LED unit a few years ago for if the heathkit stops working. No wind or speed needed.

When I needed new halyards a few years ago, I purchased a spool of 1/2 double braid on sale and made my own eye splices. Still have enough left over for an extra halyard or two.

I'd love a Engel fridge, but at $900 ish it blew the budget. The 120V fridge uses about twice the power in 24 hours, but is <$200 installed and has a fridge and small freezer.

My food and drink budget is $30-$35 a week. At that price point, most meats are off the table, maybe a pound of hamburger or pork.. The cat runs $50 a month for food and litter. He eats better then I do. But fresh vegies, pasta, yes rice and beans, spices, potato's, onions, garlic, peppers, etc. Some cheese.

When I needed a new mainsail cover, I traded boat work for a custom sailcover from a friend who had a canvas shop. Got a matching wheel cover too.

Internet of course is long range wifi. Most of the time, I can fine an open hot spot.

While I would love all chain rode, I have a rope / chain rode. partly because I would need a windlass too, which really blows the budget. I find that the rope rode actually works for me, as I can bring the rode back to the primary wench to raise the anchor.

This also puts me at the wheel / engine controls for when the winds are up. Much easier sailing off anchor that way too when singlehanding. My anchors are all old school. My newer bruce knockoff, a northhill and danford. A new fangled anchor would also blow the budget.

I've an old autohelm 3000 autopilot which I repaired for $10 in darlington transistors. Boat sun shades were made from canvas drop cloths. wind cloths were made from some old lowcost sunbrella. No dodger or bimini, not in the budget. Just wear the fowlies going to weather.. OK I'm weird as I hate looking through a dodger...

See I can stay on track...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2012, 22:17   #98

Sounds like you are traveling the same Cardiac road that i am,,i am on number three Defib in three years,,,they seem to be failing at an alarming rate,,and now they have a lead recall.
Anyhow,,,keep the dream alive and dont let them get you down,,,Power to Ya!!! just not to much stray DC

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycpuppy View Post
While I'm sure I could get a boat set up to work on $500 with a few years of work I'm a pretty sure I can't be set up to run on that since it has probably cost a good $100k in the last 12 years just keeping me running. Something about having to get defibrillator changed every 3-5 years coupled with getting stents and shunts install. Now there would be a money saver, DIY heart surgeries. I hope to get a boat and fix it and get it to where I can sail it around for cheap but I'm gonna have to start go and finish cheap doing it.

Bright side is I can already do about 80% of the work, just need to get over my paranoia of electricity. Big different between hot plugging computer parts and screwing with 12-48vdc.

And since it would be weird not to go off topic. I bought a pair of Teva sandals for $79.95 back in 1998 and have been wearing them ever since and besides a bit of frizz on top of the strap they are not showing any sign of wear.

Old 27-03-2012, 22:22   #99

Sailorchic34,,i am sure that i speak for most every man on board when i say,,you are a dream come true.
Not only can you do it,,but you can do it with style.
Keep on Keepin On!!!!!

Old 28-03-2012, 03:34   #100
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycpuppy View Post
My sleeping bag dates from the late 1960's - and it was s/h when I got it, as a child .

BTW I am not intending to shepherd this thread, and certainly not trying to create an easy reference "How to" thread - if it wanders all over the place then so be it .

For the Shoestring Sailor I would certainly agree that the budget succeeds or fails on the boat chosen - size, type and condition - and price. IMO hard for someone new to the world of boats to nail that one down first time around - not impossible, but just hard. In any event a lot of boat buying (at any budget) can involve a lot of luck (that the PO(s) were not devious barstewards ).

Personally I think the sweet spot on size is 30' - plus or minus a couple of feet (also depends on how many aboard - who are also contributing to the budget, by hook or by crook ). Big enough for a well found boat (with a competent Skipper) to cope with most things that the sea can throw at ya, not so big that mooring costs become a PITA and small enough so that work required does not become a never ending (and expensive)project. Of course exceptions apply!

How about we create a (basic) list of things a shoestring sailor needs / would be nice to have onboard? and maybe also the skills that would be required or simply be useful?

Needs

A Bucket - a squillion uses, including as an emergency toilet
GPS - Cheaper (and more accurate) than a sextant, does not mean one gives up on DR!
A working Head - Cheapest / easiest solution is probably a porta potti (with own tank), but keeping a marine head in operation is not rocket science - a black water tank installation is more complicated, and if not already installed an expensive retrofit.
Batteries - engine x 1 - house (domestics) x 1 (prefferably x 2).
Water Storage - More is good!
Bilge Pump - Electric is nice, but if you don't have any holes in the boat then a manual pump will suffice.
Lights - Electricity is a great invention , but no harm in having auxiliary / back up lights that use the liquid fuel of your choice - don't always need reading quality lights, but sometimes you do.
Cooker - Oven not essential (depends on how one cooks), 2 burners of the fuel of your choice. Personally I have no problem with Propane (Gas) and if already installed on a boat would keep it onboard, if not I would go for an Origo (un-pressurised Alcohol). But really comes down to personal choice (and budget!).
A Sea Berth (at least one - more depends on crew numbers)
Bunks - only need one per crew, so no need to re-upholster an entire boat (if missing or smell of old wee!), nor even have cushions / mattresses that fit.
A working Engine - can of course often manage without, but in practice an engine opens up options. Personally I would go for a boat that would allow an o/b to be installed on the stern, to at least provide steerage way - just in case the main engine goes pop at a time when funds don't allow a proper fix (or replacement!).
An Anchor - 2 is better, but one is essential (it's yer brake!).

Somewhere in between!

Autopilot (or some other means of self steering) - a good argument for that being on the "Nice to have" list, but IMO so damned useful when single or shorthanded.
Dodger (Spray Hood) - again, could be termed "Nice to have" but being able to duck under the weather makes life so much more pleasant - especially when the weather is not!

Nice to have

A second GPS (back up)
Chartplotter - they do make life easier, just no substitute for being able to navigate.
VHF - perhaps a bit controversial to not be on the "need" list, but boat won't sink without it.
Solar - at least enough to keep engine battery topped up. More is good.
LED Lightbulbs - especially on the Nav Lights for the low power consumption.
Anchor Windless - how nice it is to have (and whether manual or electric) will depend on how often you anchor / where.

Skills

Learn to navigate - the old fashioned way (with paper chart and using DR)....useful (IMO still essential) even if using a Chartplotter.
Engine Mechanics - at least able to service own engine and to spot when anything is amiss before it gets serious or terminal ($$$).
Electrickery - a basic understanding is good, at least enough not to fry oneself or set fire to boat!
Learn to Sail! - some ability to get the sails up and move under wind power is essential. More ability is nice!

Plenty of gaps in the above......

If we can come up with something half coherent (hope springs eternal!) then I will cut and paste (and tidy up?) onto a webpage somewhere as future easy(?) reference point - or simply something to argue over
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 04:43   #101
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sabre 28-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Yep govement INS !! Yea!! now we can stand in line and wait till they have a spot for us LOL and we can go to another country for our life saving operations !! Its gonna be good LOL
You know, it's funny, but I have lived and traveled quite a bit and used or witnessed the use of health care in lots of those places. The only place I ever 'waited in line' for any appreciable amount of time was in the U.S.

Go figure that.
Old 28-03-2012, 07:10   #102

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sneuman View Post
You know, it's funny, but I have lived and traveled quite a bit and used or witnessed the use of health care in lots of those places. The only place I ever 'waited in line' for any appreciable amount of time was in the U.S.

Go figure that.
My experience as well. I am a Canadian native and took health care for granted there. In Thailand have had a few things done at 1/10th the cost of here.
I am back from a recent trip there and looked into 3 more implants in my mouth for a new bridge. This would cost $5000 for all 3, opposed to $21,000 here. I would also need 6 extactions at $160 in Thailand, opposed to $3000 here. I've talked to a dozen people in Thailand that are quite happy with the care they receive.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 07:23   #103

Boat: a sailing boat

Yep.

The medical things vary wildly. We saw people treated at no cost in 'expensive' FP, and others, who were asked USD 6000 for 5 days in 'cheap' Brazil.

No hard rules, other than take good care of your health.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 08:28   #104
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

LED lighting and florescent / CCF really conserve battery life. I have a 9 watt CCF light for the main cabin, a few LED lights here or there.

I don't have a dedicated start battery, I have four house batteries split in two. Two group 27's deep cycle batteries are more then enough to start a small diesel, without damaging the plates

Made a anchor light using a bright LED light installed in spice jar and mounted it 8' above deck on the back stay. First its lower then the mast head light. Anchored off towns with hills or highrises, a mast head light can get lost in the clutter.

Placing the anchor light down lower, puts the light closer to the water and also lights up a fair mount of the cockpit. It feels much safer with the light lower and it still meets the letter of the law...

I find that the 12V computer charger block thingy is less efficient then the 120V charger. The little 18watt 12v to 17V dc/ dc converter uses 4 amps at 12V to produce 18 watts at 17 volts. The 120V charger uses 37 watts, So overall uses less battery capacity.

Now a days a old smart phone could be used as a poor girls (or guys) chartplotter. Don't even need a cell plan. Just use WIFI to set up and connect to download the apps and charts...
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2012, 09:54   #105
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

for usa residents, the obummercare is a nonsolution with all kinds of evil clauses--allowing gummingkt to invade your bank accounts, and disallows folks with underlying conditions from receiving healthcare. read it well.. also anything coming-- will probably contain same or similar measures, until the time the insurance lobby and the tort lawyers see they are in and of themselves great problem in the healthcare industry. guess what-- they wont be self admitting of their intrusion being a cause of high rates and difficulties.
obummercare is not a solution-- but a failing bandaid to assuage the mineds of the legislators and creators of this travesty of a law.

there is no such thing as FREE healthcare....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget