Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2012, 09:32   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

WOW, Congrats to DOJ for being brave enough to start the shoestring sailor / Cruising on $500 per month thread...again. Whats interesting about CF is you have the boat bums or bum-ettes (me for example) on the same forum with the ultra rich. How odd it is that we all don't see eye to eye.

Anyway. I am a flipflop sailor as shoestrings just cost too much. I have only one pair of dress shoes. Oh use to have LOTS more but no room on the boat. No TV, no fancy dingy WITH an outboard, just an old kayak, wifi for internet, etc,etc.

I AM a shoestring sailor and proud to be one. While I'm not quite at $500 a month at the moment, (mainly due to slip cost) I am at $600 a month WITH slip cost. So it is very doable. No boat burning required either. I'm far far happier now then when I lived in a 3500 SF house making a six figure income.

OK I have several legs up on many of you as I don't smoke or drink. Plus I have that cooking thing down.

A small 40 years young sailboat in good condition, no car. Yes I do ALL my own boat work too. Really required at $500 a month.. No fancy electronics, just two depth sounders and a leadline. I shop for clothing at the better goodwills (used clothing store). No prepackaged meals. No medical insurance. The most expensive thing on my boat is the cat. Best of all, I'm happily living life to the fullest.

So hey, if some blonde chick can do it, anyone can. How odd that so many people have so much more and are not happy. Politics... Lordy I so don't do politics. Live and let live and the golden rule is all I need. Well and $500 a month too!

Oh this is going to be such a fun thread
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 09:37   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolarose View Post
yes,yes, i remember that one.. only i forgot to mention that i have house in dubrovnik with lemon and orange trees around and can jump from my balkony in the sea or walk down the road five minutes to the beach.

not to mention another one on the peljesac peninsula with wineyard(quite good anual income) and quite BIG plot of land. if that is in OUR dear uk it would be wort probably few million pounds.
and i am not on food stams. i am on jobseakers alowance (presently on sick note)
but do not you vorry, i will not use your tax payer money after this july. my daughter finishing year 11 this summer and she is goin to live with her mother in tampa, and i am leaving Uk, going back to adriatic sea summer...... tampa in "winter"

i hope i clear it for you

love
i'm pleased to see the welfare system is working for you,as it is for indy!

now if you could post some advice on trick's that im sure you have learned on how to survive and prosper in the 1st world.

this would bring you many kharma points in future life on the ocean wave

peace n love
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 09:39   #18
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Shoestring Sailors

what is shoestring sailor. one that would eat **** if he/she can get it for free. or take own food on boat for thre months cruising, becouse not to spend only single penny.
and then you are suprised why in foreign (even in your ovn) countries no one like to see you, let alone to do "business" with you.

if i ever come in situation to be "shoestring sailor" i would burn my bot and never set my foot on the beach again let alone in the boat.
I think a lot of folks are on a tight budget these days, I know I am, but this is all relative to what we are used to! I eat very well , and mostly onboard because I can prep the food to my taste better than most restaurants ,I do most my own repairs, unless I cannot- not-my shoestring budget still leaves behind about 1000 Euros a month in the places I sail-
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 09:45   #19
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Ahhhh.... good old UK... the haven for the East Europeans... with benefits...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 09:48   #20

Boat: Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles
If on a budget I find these preferable to anything with shoestrings.
These are proper shoestring boat shoes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2561154586.jpg
Views:	860
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	39097  
GorillaToast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 11:20   #21
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
OK I have several legs up on many of you as I don't smoke or drink. Plus I have that cooking thing down.

A small 40 years young sailboat in good condition, no car. Yes I do ALL my own boat work too. Really required at $500 a month.. No fancy electronics, just two depth sounders and a leadline. I shop for clothing at the better goodwills (used clothing store). No prepackaged meals. No medical insurance. The most expensive thing on my boat is the cat. Best of all, I'm happily living life to the fullest.

Now there is a class act that even the !% must admire. Go self sufficiency!
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 11:31   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
WOW, Congrats to DOJ for being brave enough to start the shoestring sailor / Cruising on $500 per month thread...again. Whats interesting about CF is you have the boat bums or bum-ettes (me for example) on the same forum with the ultra rich. How odd it is that we all don't see eye to eye.

Anyway. I am a flipflop sailor as shoestrings just cost too much. I have only one pair of dress shoes. Oh use to have LOTS more but no room on the boat. No TV, no fancy dingy WITH an outboard, just an old kayak, wifi for internet, etc,etc.

I AM a shoestring sailor and proud to be one. While I'm not quite at $500 a month at the moment, (mainly due to slip cost) I am at $600 a month WITH slip cost. So it is very doable. No boat burning required either. I'm far far happier now then when I lived in a 3500 SF house making a six figure income.

So hey, if some blonde chick can do it, anyone can. How odd that so many people have so much more and are not happy. Politics... Lordy I so don't do politics. Live and let live and the golden rule is all I need. Well and $500 a month too!

nice post!
when i jokingly suggested the shoestring thread.

maybe "a flip flop, a boat and a prayer" might have been a better title!

thanks for contributing!
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 11:39   #23
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
over the winter i accuired a kubota engine and gear box that i have rebuilt and will post some photos of that as well soon with a break down of costs.

the motor i got for just over $150 0n ebay!
For all I know your boat may still be a deathtrap that won't make it past the end of the harbour , but nonetheless your example a pretty good demonstration that if someone brings own skills (and time) to a problem that was someone else's multi-thousand pound nightmare it can become a low cost opportunity.....from the simple application of effort.

Kaput engines being a classic case - if only I had those skills (yeah, I know - I could learn ).

FWIW, I nearly bought a Macwester 26 a few years back - engine went tits up during the demo / first looksee Unsurprisingly I never bought her .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 11:49   #24

Boat: O'Day 28

I have my everyday flipflops, and my dress flipflops.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 11:53   #25

Boat: 28Ft Piver Encore, Tri-Maran, Anchored in San Diego.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nemo55

Hi There sailorchic34
I am coming down your way to meet my boat for the first time (extreme shoe string) what area are you in,? as i would like someone to fill me in on the raw details in exchange for dinner and wine/beer. OOPs!!! i just read that you dont drink :-( oh well special coffee's or teas then??

I will be leaving Mission B.C. Vancouver Canada in May/June.

Name is Alex 52 year old Forced retiree!!

Quote:

https://nemo1955.blogspot.ca/
Nemo55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 11:55   #26
cruiser

sorry if i ofended anyone,but what woody said to jessie...

Well, if the boot fits...

and what abot us, who wearng vans with velcro. how they are calling us.

"cruising on velcro"
lolarose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 11:58   #27

My flipflops are made by Goodyear,,high mileage,,

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgzzzz View Post
I have my everyday flipflops, and my dress flipflops.

Old 25-03-2012, 11:59   #28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
if i ever come in situation to be "shoestring sailor" i would burn my bot and never set my foot on the beach again let alone in the boat.
Yeah, those bots are evil. Got to be careful when they cruise the net.
Old 25-03-2012, 12:10   #29

Ok,,,,people have got to back off here,,we are descending into chaos again.
Lets keep it real you guy's the thread Title is very clear,,lets stay on point...Nuff Said ???

Old 25-03-2012, 12:11   #30

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

I don't use go aheads anymore !!It's barefoot or a pair of Mexican tire soled sandles Ive had for 20+yrs(wont wear out !!)That I wear for dress up and white shrimp boots !!No shoe laces for me!! Now Connies a shoe freak LOL she has her nursey shoes and as you call em flip flop collection ! +++ LOL But shes a hell of a watch stander and a great baker and cook so I let her have the room I don't use for shoes LOL

Tags
budget