Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2014, 11:08   #991

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Weavis, fuel expenses is something that we have a lot of control over. A frugal sailor tries to use his engine as little as possible but I understand there are times where you just have to use it except maybe in certain parts of the world. most frugal sailors don't have insurance. And yes its a big risk but I also know of a lot of people that paid for years and years and then when they claimed the insurance company got out of paying them. Food is a big expense for me and I'm working on cutting it down but still eating healthy and I've gotten a lot better at it over the years and it's definitely a big skill and hopefully more people will talk about it in this thread. I never use moorings, always my own ground tackle. Yes this is means I can't go to some places. I really appreciate you sharing the fact that sometimes when you have a larger income you have a lot larger expenses that balance it out.
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:20   #992

Boat: Beneteau 411
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

So this is how I do it... Firstly you need a decent size boat. I started with a 32' and it just wasn't possible to get my cost where they needed to be. I've since moved up to a 42' and am doing much better. Lots of electronics to keep going plenty of room for toys and gadgets heck I was even able to mount satellite tv on the thing, oh and I had room for a larger dingy too! Not to mention marina fee's are now a third higher. I've also found it's important to cruise expensive area's the Florida Keys are my preferred stomping grounds. There's just not much to spend money on in the Bahama's, makes it really tough to meet my budget. I also try not to cook or drink on-board too often. I like to fly home once a month too... Airfare can account for nearly 20% of my cruising budget especially when in foreign and less expensive ports. So these are just some of the secrets I found the help me stay within my $5000 cruising budget I'm looking at 46'cat's, really think this will be a big step forward I may be able to get too 6 or 7k a month with a nice Cat. Cheers
tryrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:28   #993
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by tryrsh View Post
So this is how I do it... Firstly you need a decent size boat. I started with a 32' and it just wasn't possible to get my cost where they needed to be. I've since moved up to a 42' and am doing much better. Lots of electronics to keep going plenty of room for toys and gadgets heck I was even able to mount satellite tv on the thing, oh and I had room for a larger dingy too! Not to mention marina fee's are now a third higher. I've also found it's important to cruise expensive area's the Florida Keys are my preferred stomping grounds. There's just not much to spend money on in the Bahama's, makes it really tough to meet my budget. I also try not to cook or drink on-board too often. I like to fly home once a month too... Airfare can account for nearly 20% of my cruising budget especially when in foreign and less expensive ports. So these are just some of the secrets I found the help me stay within my $5000 cruising budget I'm looking at 46'cat's, really think this will be a big step forward I may be able to get too 6 or 7k a month with a nice Cat. Cheers
Actually...... you only do it 4 months a year. So thats 20K divided by 12 months.. and that comes to $1600 a month!
Yeah
I cheated but you aint no full timee persona yet..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:29   #994
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by weavis View Post
You can get a Cat with an outboard too you know?

But thanks for your breakdown of costs.

I guess for me, I would only go to the cruising life where I wanted to be. Even though I love the water, I don't want to live somewhere I don't want.....
I have that choice, and I hope others have it too.
Actually I do know that. But an outboard can be a maintenance nightmare and generally the burn rate is higher then a small diesel. But cats, in the US anyway, generally cost more do dock, due to the beam. The bigger ones require either an end tie or paying for a double slip. But they are roomy.

It's all about lifestyle choices. I think it's harder to actually work while trying to live on $500 a month. Working for a living, well a steady income anyway, requires a fixed location, proper clothing, transportation costs to work and back, etc. I would need about $500 a month, just to pay for a small car and related costs (fuel, taxes, insurance, wear and tear) just to travel to and from work.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:32   #995
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Actually I do know that. But an outboard can be a maintenance nightmare and generally the burn rate is higher then a small diesel. But cats, in the US anyway, generally cost more do dock, due to the beam. The bigger ones require either an end tie or paying for a double slip. But they are roomy.

It's all about lifestyle choices. I think it's harder to actually work while trying to live on $500 a month. Working for a living, well a steady income anyway, requires a fixed location, proper clothing, transportation costs to work and back, etc. I would need about $500 a month, just to pay for a small car and related costs (fuel, taxes, insurance, wear and tear) just to travel to and from work.
If you got a 5 berth Cat. moored it, got a car, and charged 4 people 500 a month each, hey!!

Your right of course..... I was teasing..
Old 03-05-2014, 11:35   #996
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I hear marrying a 20 something trophy wife can get you to $20k a month easy. Possibly much higher.... Its what ever makes you happy.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:40   #997

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
And none of the contributors to this thread look down upon or demean ANYBODY for living the frugal life.
I think it's fair to say that there have been some who post here simply to argue that it can't be done. They seem to need to prove it's impossible. I can only speculate that this makes them feel better about their own choices.

I don't perceive your comments to be like this Weavis.

BTW, I'm not a physician, but I have been medical journalist. I agree with what you say. People have this notion that being a doctor means you're immediately a member of the 1% crowd. Ain't so folks -- at least not anywhere other than the USA (I'm a Canadian). This is especially so for general practitioners or those who run their own clinics.

Quote:
I see your point Mike about the figure being "aspirational" as opposed to being literal. That makes sense. ... I am choosing to aspire to living on a boat full time. I have worked out what it will cost me for where and how I want to live.
I think we can all learn and contribute here. No matter how wealthy you are, you still have limits. What is not helpful is having people come in saying it's impossible ... b/c clearly it is not. As proof we have sailorchic34. She's my inspiration
Old 03-05-2014, 11:48   #998

Boat: Beneteau 411

Nah, I'd rather have a boat ... Reminds me of a joke. cheers...
tryrsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 11:53   #999
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I Lived in Indiana for two years. Terre Haute.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:55   #1000
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

For many or even most people it is impossible to live on $500/month. They need too much stuff to be happy or really to try to be happy. Its practically ingrained into American society that more is better. If I had $5000 or even $10000 a month, I would not be any happier then I am right now.

Gee, I use to make $8000 a month as it was. Had a 3500 SF home and all the trimming of the american dream. But I've never been as happy as I am now living life large in the small lane.

Luckily, there is no one answer to how live life. Some need $5000 a month and that totally fine. Others can do with far less and be quite happy... Its not a one size fits all world...
Old 03-05-2014, 11:59   #1001
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I picked the boat too...
Old 03-05-2014, 12:12   #1002
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
For many or even most people it is impossible to live on $500/month. They need too much stuff to be happy or really to try to be happy. Its practically ingrained into American society that more is better. If I had $5000 or even $10000 a month, I would not be any happier then I am right now.

Gee, I use to make $8000 a month as it was. Had a 3500 SF home and all the trimming of the american dream. But I've never been as happy as I am now living life large in the small lane.

Luckily, there is no one answer to how live life. Some need $5000 a month and that totally fine. Others can do with far less and be quite happy... Its not a one size fits all world...
I just sat and thought about the marina thing. Its going to cost me about $7K a year with ALL charges.
I get:
  • Electric.
  • Water.
  • Showers
  • Toilet.
  • Ex Pats (gotta be a draw back somewhere )
  • Clubhouse and restaurant and coffee shop
  • Swimming pool.
  • A local Spanish town.
  • Close to Mallorca. 110 miles.
This is $583 a month. I have just been told if I buy a 4 year lease, it is a lot cheaper. Even if its a little more, it is where I want to be.

The rest of the costs (Excluding legals) are down to me.

I can afford this. Its where I want to be.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:22   #1003
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
I REALLY believe it is possible to live on $500 a month. But not where I want to be...
Bingo...
You can't have it all...want to live cheap...then go where it is possible to do.
But after watching the YouTube video...crap...can I live there?

$500/mo...are you guys crazy...the Majority of the World Population lives on less than that per month...so of course it can be done....by definition people are doing it!
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2014, 12:25   #1004
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Bingo...
You can't have it all...want to live cheap...then go where it is possible to do.
But after watching the YouTube video...crap...can I live there?
LOLOLOL..... you had the reaction I had..
Ive been working/traveling/apartment on Mallorca since '86, even when I live in the States I holidayed twice in Mallorca..........
I CANT AFFORD to berth in Mallorca..
I saw this, visited once and drooled ever since.....
I will see if I can get a deal on 2 berths...... any more?
Old 03-05-2014, 12:51   #1005
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Dear lost boy

sant carles marina is where yachts go to die,during the winter,this febuary i had the misfortune of spending 2 weeks there............as i said before the high spot of the town is the lidl supermarket!

the basic premise that MDL marinas UK sold berths there was its proximity to the portsmouth-bilbao ferry so the burberry brigade whilst avoiding tax in the uk,could park their "boats that never move"...holiday apartments there.

the bar you see in the video,if it ever had more than 2 people in it was occupied by, the type of socially mobile types that i try my best to avoid.....boorish brit comes to mind.

benidorm by the sea......if that is your cuppa.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget