Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-02-2014, 17:27   #826
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

I had assumed the frugal cruiser had one of those WiFi repeaters and was using whatever signals they could. I live on more than what we are postulating here and won't buy one of those personal hotspot things due to perceived cost.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 17:43   #827

Boat: csy 37

a64pilot - in accordance with the rules of the frugal sailor i use 'free' wifi signals whenever i can before using my paid for signal. i've got one of those alfa 1000mw wifi antennas (about $30 on amazon) connected to my laptop that really pulls in signals.

i also have a smartphone - but it's not 'connected' to any cellphone provider. it's a samsung galaxy with a 4" screen that was on sale last thanksgiving (black friday) for $35 at walmart, and intended to be used on the verizon pay as you go plan. i use it as a 'tablet' and skype phone wherever i can get a free signal or with my hotspot. to keep verizon from trying to get me to sign in, i just keep the phone in 'airplane mode'. great to carry around in a pocket when ashore...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 17:52   #828
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I believe a cell phone that is not currently signed up with any carrier will still function as a 911 call.
But around here people with limited incomes get free "Obama phones"
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 18:49   #829

Boat: Catalina 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
I believe a cell phone that is not currently signed up with any carrier will still function as a 911 call.
Using the program started by George Bush, but this thread is not meant to be political.
Old 15-02-2014, 19:12   #830

The $500 is really an average. When money get tight as in we are exceeding our planet budget. we head of to a nice quiet bay away from the allure of the hotel beer or can of coke on our walks around civilization. It is amazing how quick a dollar here and a dollar there adds up. We will also do this if we know we are heading for an expensive month. 500 is doable but have a slush fund stashed away for the unexpected.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 19:38   #831

Quote:
I believe you are right.
Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot
Where do I get my free stuff?

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 19:39   #832

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
that's true, but not my intention. what i really bought was a samsung galaxy tablet for $35, albeit with a 4" screen rather than the usual 7" or 10" screen. it does most of the same functions as a tablet - the usual email stuff, internet access, skype, this cruisers forum, various google play store apps - and it's portable enough that i can carry it around in my pocket on shore and take advantage of free internet wherever it's available....
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2014, 20:05   #833

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballenxj View Post
I believe you are right.

Where do I get my free stuff?
sign up for food stamps, but you don't get a phone, just a discount on your monthly payments.

It's actually paid for by the cell phone companies, not the government.
Old 15-02-2014, 20:07   #834

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
that's true, but not my intention. what i really bought was a samsung galaxy tablet for $35, albeit with a 4" screen rather than the usual 7" or 10" screen. it does most of the same functions as a tablet - the usual email stuff, internet access, skype, this cruisers forum, various google play store apps - and it's portable enough that i can carry it around in my pocket on shore and take advantage of free internet wherever it's available....
This is a very clever idea.
Old 16-02-2014, 00:55   #835
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post

#2. The true frugal cruisers probably aren't spending their limited resources logging into Internet forums .
Likely that true. But this being 2014 I would argue that an internet connection would be near the top of the list for items that save money over the medium / long term from access to knowledge. Of course that comes with both an upfront and ongoing cost.

Also at top of my list on a very low budget would be......cash!........ A pot of cash to be used not simply for emergency expenses but more importantly for smoothing cashflow so can grab deals as and when they arise, even though you have to save up for them later (borrowing from self is always cheaper!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 02:47   #836

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Walden

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-02-2014, 04:26   #837

Boat: Bavaria 37 (2007)

Someone must have mentioned it somewhere already but there are several reasons for cruising on a tight budget.

First there is the obvious. Those who by no self design have little or no significant income. So they choose a cruising or liveaboard situation as a way of surviving. They do not actually like the lifestyle and would live differently if they could. I don't sense many of those in this discussion.

Then there are those who like Henry David Thoreau in his book "On Walden Pond" have made a virtue out of a desire to shed the superfluous attributes of modern society and live simply with just the essentials. They have deliberately chosen a thrifty lifestyle whether they have a limited income or not. I think most are in this boat.

But I put myself into a third group. I like many of the trappings and comforts of our consumer oriented civilisation. And there is a standard I do not intend to go below.

At the same time I am not embarrassed to fill my supermarket cart with mostly cheaper generic branded goods but also choose quality coffee or cheeses and a good wine with a tender steak and a few other gourmet items.

I am perfectly happy to do most of my land travel staying in backpacker and budget accommodation, but once or twice a year I like to treat myself to a few days in an upmarket resort or hotel.

Clothing, as long as it is clean and comfortable is enuogh for me. I always buy them in street markets or thrift shops. I am not a fashion slave.
But I do like my boys toys. The latest electronic whizbangs are usually pretty high on my "must have" list.

I don't have a "significant other" with unlimited access to my wallet. I prefer the strict understanding of a commercial agreement when the mood takes me.

As a self funded retiree I planned a certain lifestyle to which I expected to become accustomed. Most of the time my wants and needs are modest and that is my virtue.

I like the discipline of thrift most of the time. It makes the moments of exorbitant expenditure that much more enjoyable.

My one regret is I cannot afford to travel up the pointy end of the plane.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 16-02-2014, 04:42   #838

Boat: r then 33 Y amaha Feb 2014 just bought Alan Pape 43 ketch

Here we go again!! Just purchased a 1986 Alan Pape 43 (British design ) ketch. Cruising/live-aboard is difficult to get out of one's blood. So after 12 years on land back to the water. She is a very solid glass boat with redone engine , new sails etc. Needs work below re galley and revamp parts of woodwork re storage. Will keep us honest. Wife will redo spray dodger and bimini. So will be living in marina at reasonable rates at Port Owen on W.Coast of South Africa 150 km N of Cape Town
Clyde
Old 16-02-2014, 05:52   #839

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Likely that true. But this being 2014 I would argue that an internet connection would be near the top of the list for items that save money over the medium / long term from access to knowledge. Of course that comes with both an upfront and ongoing cost.
I dunno DoJ. I'm not sure that access to more information necessarily translates into saving more money. Certainly in some instances, but there is a real cost to all this connectivity. Besides, most of our transactions are done at a local level. There are other ways to get that kind of information than going online. Perhaps on big purchases like sails, etc., but these kinds of transactions don't come along that often.

Given the costs of staying connected to the Internet, I think it's debatable regarding the economic value. There are be other reasons, but I have a hard time seeing cost-savings as one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Also at top of my list on a very low budget would be......cash!........ A pot of cash to be used not simply for emergency expenses but more importantly for smoothing cashflow so can grab deals as and when they arise, even though you have to save up for them later (borrowing from self is always cheaper!).
Agree with you there. Lowering your unit costs often mean buying in bulk, and taking advantage of short-term savings opportunities. When we head off that is specifically one of our plans: to time marina visits so we can take advantage of seasonal food production. Buy in bulk. Dry what we can't consume fresh, and then get the heck off the dock again. The frugal cruiser must avoid marinas like the plague.
Old 16-02-2014, 06:12   #840

Quote:
Originally Posted by Springbok View Post
Here we go again!! Just purchased a 1986 Alan Pape 43 (British design ) ketch.
Congrats Clyde.

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget