Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-11-2012, 06:09   #406

Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the best nautical flea markets are not in GLOSSY rags, but word of mouth. ye kinda have to be in the area with a vhf radio. in usa, many flea markets are written up and advertised in glossies-but i have had less than good luck finding realistically priced items at those.
So because you have not had good experiences, the advertised flea markets are not beneficial?

If you haven't attended every one listed, your opinion, is biased.

No flea market is guaranteed to have any item you are looking for. This is the price you may pay for trying to save money. Some people may want more for the item(s), which you think is unreasonable.

This can happen at any flea market, advertised in the "glossy" magazine or not.

If there are flea markets not listed in the magazines, maybe you should advertise them on here. Will help out those who have things to un-clutter their boat.

James L
propellanttech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:14   #407
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by propellanttech View Post
So because you have not had good experiences, the advertised flea markets are not beneficial?

If you haven't attended every one listed, your opinion, is biased.

No flea market is guaranteed to have any item you are looking for. This is the price you may pay for trying to save money. Some people may want more for the item(s), which you think is unreasonable.

This can happen at any flea market, advertised in the "glossy" magazine or not.

If there are flea markets not listed in the magazines, maybe you should advertise them on here. Will help out those who have things to un-clutter their boat.

James L
when one interprets another's words and winds those words into a different meaning than th obvious one, that individual is only hurting one's own mind. think as if someone talking with you has said words. i SAID that the BEST ones are not in the glossies. i did NOT say they were without value, did i.... try reading the words as written, without the twist. might learn something about what others are saying. this is a problem on forums--folks re-interpret what has been plainly stated to fit their own warp on life-- is not what was stated. read my words again.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 06:43   #408

Quote:
when one interprets another's words and winds those words into a different meaning than th obvious one, that individual is only hurting one's own mind. think as if someone talking with you has said words. i SAID that the BEST ones are not in the glossies. i did NOT say they were without value, did i.... try reading the words as written, without the twist. might learn something about what others are saying. this is a problem on forums--folks re-interpret what has been plainly stated to fit their own warp on life-- is not what was stated. read my words again.
Funny, because you didn't include anything positive about the "glossy" advertised flea markets. That is an indication that you do not find any value in them.

Things you do not say, are just as important as the things you do.

Evidently you do not know the word comprehension.

James L
Old 08-11-2012, 07:45   #409

there is no reason for me to even read the glossy rags,as only things i have founbd in them is overpriced ads and overpriced goods. nothing for a low budget d=cruiser who seeks real value. if you are a glossy rag reader and count on values found therein, you have no comprehension f low budget cruising whatsoever. to even be able to afford those useless rags shows that you have mor etime on your hands than normal cruisers,and to slam me fornotusing the ugly glossies for anything states that you drive a desk. now--back off. be nice and stop slamming those who actually DO cruise on lower budgets.
as far as reading comprehension is concerned-- you have noooo clue whatsoever. bash not lest thee be bashed best.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:01   #410

Quote:
there is no reason for me to even read the glossy rags,as only things i have founbd in them is overpriced ads and overpriced goods. nothing for a low budget d=cruiser who seeks real value. if you are a glossy rag reader and count on values found therein, you have no comprehension f low budget cruising whatsoever. to even be able to afford those useless rags shows that you have mor etime on your hands than normal cruisers,and to slam me fornotusing the ugly glossies for anything states that you drive a desk. now--back off. be nice and stop slamming those who actually DO cruise on lower budgets.
as far as reading comprehension is concerned-- you have noooo clue whatsoever. bash not lest thee be bashed best.
Interesting, you jumped into a conversation not aimed at you, and then you get offended.

I do not subscribe to any periodicals. I only read information that is aimed at education pertaining to cruising. The rest must be free, or I don't read it.

I have plenty of time on my hands, I'm self employed. I however do not drive a desk.

As for budgets, I can just about bet my monthly budget is lower than yours.

If you do not want to be bashed, keep your shoulder, with the chip on it, from focusing on me, when I wasn't addressing you.

You shouldn't talk about being nice. You have a way to turn any thread, to you being right or more knowledgeable. Now you will be placed on my ignore list to prevent dealing with your "holier than thou attitude."

James L
Old 08-11-2012, 08:10   #411

the onliest holier than thou here is you, enjoy your living hell of not understanding that which folks are saying...the twist is only from within your brain misunderstanding clear speech.

you ASSUME way too much.

btw--is an HONOR to be place on your ignore list---RODLMAO i am laughing all the way down the channel.
Old 08-11-2012, 08:34   #412

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

All right don't make me come on here and separate you two!
Old 08-11-2012, 08:38   #413

Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
All right don't make me come on here and separate you two!
Ehhh.....no separation. I just put her on ignore. It's just easier that way.

It's all good!!

I agree to just disagree with her.

James L
Old 08-11-2012, 08:41   #414

ignore is an excellent way to not have to learn what others do to not merely survive on 500 usd per month, but to THRIVE on that meager sum. i thrive. is awesome fun. sounds like some subsist, while others endure---some take potshots as they cannot liv on that small sum happily....needs to get out more....rodlmao
Old 08-11-2012, 09:43   #415

Boat: Westerly Centaur

Cheap shots or what.
At least it fits the thread profile

Adding anchor and chain to the crucial list, thanks SK.
centaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 13:11   #416

mebbe someday the guy with the glossy rag fetish will learn how to cruise on less than 500 dollars per month. he most assuredly will not learn by not reading what those out here have to say about it.....rodlmao.
h also willnot learn where the GOOD swap meets are by reading that stuff, either..lol...but, he wants his glossy non news--everything in those is over 5 months old.....
as was stated earlier on-- you will find stuff of value only when you are out her with your ear to the seas.
Old 09-11-2012, 01:39   #417

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
I appreciate all sailing literature and can always find something I didn't know ... even in glossy powerboat and " yacht" magazines. Besides, the cheapest isn't always he best buy ... time and use decide that.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:43   #418
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
Besides, the cheapest isn't always he best buy ... time and use decide that.
That is always the challenge / conundrum - on some things paying more now (for better) you do get the benefits of longevity........if you pay less have to accept that over the medium / long term the choice will cost more.

Of course the choice is easy to make when you only have the cash for the latter option right now............
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:05   #419
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
That is always the challenge / conundrum - on some things paying more now (for better) you do get the benefits of longevity........if you pay less have to accept that over the medium / long term the choice will cost more.

Of course the choice is easy to make when you only have the cash for the latter option right now............
i have found doctors waiting rooms a very good source for yachting magazines

also i'm one of those people you see in supermarkets standing next to the magazine section,reading the lastest edition of "yachting monthly" with absoloutly no intention of buying it
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 04:38   #420

the cheapest part is probably going to break in short order--so i search fro non cheap stuff at low prices. works out well... the best swap meets are found, not read about. is important to know where htese are and when and get there before daylight for best deals, like the 496 ft of 3/4 inch 3 strand nylon line i bought for 25 dollars a few yrs on back--my anchor rode for ericson --lol..and other goodis--brass anchor lamp for 20 dollars--i love it--fresnel lens and oil burning. many good deals if you have your eyes open.

Tags
budget