Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 19:55   #346
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cner View Post
I have a question about food preservation... Since i'm from a farm i have the posibility to buy a small pig, feed it up, and have lots of meat after.. But how would i be able to preserve a whole pig? (in smaller bits ofc) How can i keep the meat from not going bad after a few days/week?
can it, smoke it , salt it..
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 19:56   #347
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
I have a question about food preservation... Since i'm from a farm i have the posibility to buy a small pig, feed it up, and have lots of meat after.. But how would i be able to preserve a whole pig? (in smaller bits ofc) How can i keep the meat from not going bad after a few days/week?
http://www.motherearthnews.com/Real-...ning-Meat.aspx
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 20:44   #348

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

And just FYI File, ground sasafrass leaf, is an additive to gumbo not a major part !! It can do strange things to your system if you are not REAL used to it LOL in most Cajun resturants, it is served in a small paper cup or something of that sort. to be used as salt or pepper would be used ! Remember french is a lot of times backwards to english! File Gumbo in english comes out to gumbo with file ! or thats what my friends down the Bayou explained to me ! Just saying go easy till ya get used to it ! or keep a bunch of rolaids and T paper handy
Old 09-10-2012, 20:52   #349

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Beef/moose/deer jerky is a staple in my house. Never tried pork jerky, but why not? At least from the lean cuts.

And then of course there is the smoked pork and salt pork of old.
Old 09-10-2012, 20:54   #350

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
can it, smoke it , salt it..
I forgot about canning it (or as the Newfies say, bottling it). First time I was invited to a Newfie friend's house for 'bottled moose' I just about cracked up, until I figured out it was canned. Actually, bottled is a better description, just not used out west here.
Old 09-10-2012, 21:26   #351

Boat: Bostrøm 31

Read about canning (botteling) meat, and it looks like this would be a great way!
Still needs to buy boat, make it ready, learn to sail and lots more, but now i have the 'self suficient sailor' by pardys and a norwegian 'learn to sail' book waiting for me in the mail to read while i'm out working on the big blue I'm so exited till i finaly can start out! (All my work colleagues are sick of me talking about sailing)
cner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 00:54   #352
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Read about canning (botteling) meat, and it looks like this would be a great way!
Still needs to buy boat, make it ready, learn to sail and lots more, but now i have the 'self suficient sailor' by pardys and a norwegian 'learn to sail' book waiting for me in the mail to read while i'm out working on the big blue I'm so exited till i finaly can start out! (All my work colleagues are sick of me talking about sailing)
better get a boat with nice high thwarts and a pressure washer,those pigs can make a hell of a mess on deck
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:14   #353
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search

For other uses, see Gumbo (disambiguation).
Gumbo
A bowl of shrimp gumbo, served over riceOriginPlace of originUnited States of AmericaRegion or stateLouisianaDetailsMain ingredient(s)Roux, okra, filé powder, meat and/or shellfish, celery, bell pepperGumbo is a stew or soup that probably originated in southern Louisiana during the 18th century. It typically consists primarily of a strongly-flavored stock, meat or shellfish, a thickener, and seasoning vegetables, which can include celery, bell peppers, and onions (a trio known in Cajun cuisine as the "holy trinity"). Gumbo is often categorized by the type of thickener used: the African vegetable okra, the Choctaw spice filé powder (dried and ground sassafras leaves), or roux, the French base made of flour and fat. The dish likely derived its name from either the Bantu word for okra (ki ngombo) or the Choctaw word for filé (kombo).
Several different varieties exist. In New Orleans, what is known as Creole gumbo generally contains shellfish, tomatoes, and a thickener. Cajun gumbo varies greatly, but often has a dark roux with either shellfish or fowl. The Creoles of Cane River make a gumbo focused much more on filé. Sausage or ham are often added to gumbos of either variety. After the base is prepared, vegetables are cooked down, and then meat is added. The dish simmers for a minimum of three hours, with shellfish and some spices added near the end. If desired, filé powder is added after the pot is removed from heat. Gumbo is traditionally served over rice. A third, lesser-known variety, the meatless gumbo z'herbes, is essentially a gumbo of slow-cooked greens sometimes thickened with roux, with rice served on the side.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:03   #354

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
And just FYI File, ground sasafrass leaf, is an additive to gumbo not a major part !! It can do strange things to your system if you are not REAL used to it LOL in most Cajun resturants, it is served in a small paper cup or something of that sort. to be used as salt or pepper would be used ! Remember french is a lot of times backwards to english! File Gumbo in english comes out to gumbo with file ! or thats what my friends down the Bayou explained to me ! Just saying go easy till ya get used to it ! or keep a bunch of rolaids and T paper handy
Well, isn't that something? I've only made file gumbo about a dozen times so I'm no expert but I've never had a problem with it. I use the file in the gumbo as a thickener instead of okra, not as a seasoning so maybe the cooking does something to it.

Anyway, good to know. Thanks.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:11   #355

Boat: Able 50

Maybe bobconnie justplain can't cook bayou style.

Gumbo never bothered my innards either.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:22   #356

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by savoir View Post
Maybe bobconnie justplain can't cook bayou style.

Gumbo never bothered my innards either.
Well, BobConnie is from Louisiana and I'm from Ontario Canada. I'm gonna put some faith in what they say.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 04:44   #357

Boat: Able 50

Well I dunno. Plenty of Louisiana people are strictly franks and beans. Sure won't put me off my gumbo. I never had a bowl I didn't like.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:55   #358

shoestring sailor...One who can actually enjoy living and sailing w/o having all of the land based amenities.. How is that possible???

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 06:58   #359

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The dish likely derived its name from either the Bantu word for okra (ki ngombo) or the Choctaw word for filé (kombo).

So far away and with the same "ombo" in the name.

The groups must have been mixed long before we thought huh?
Old 10-10-2012, 07:00   #360

Quote:
They'll get over it when sitting in their easy chair as it blows like hell outside and they're NOT out in it...

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget