Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2014, 04:00   #1051

Boat: Junk rig Schooner
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat_alexandra View Post
Both lead acid batteries and PV solar panels are a reasonable technology to consider because 97% of the materials can be recycled at end of life. If you burn a fuel, it is gone forever.

By burning 10 gallons a month or whatever does make a big difference. The average person on this planet uses far less than this figure. There is simply not enough resources for this level of consumption to continue, and it really is too much. 1 liter per person per year is a more reasonable figure.

Every millisecond we can delay the changing effects of the environment is critical at this stage. By making the choice to not use an engine, will also affect the future decisions of other people which has an even greater effect. Any improvement no matter how small is worthwhile.
Still doesn't matter, there will always be something on mother earth to burn to keep yer mitts warm. Even poo..
Old 12-05-2014, 06:05   #1052

Boat: Haven't seen it yet. Bought on Ebay

Just a quick reminder. b_a is the guy that had his boat detained in New Zealand as unseaworthy. Several detractors here said he would never make it out of NZ waters alive nor should he because he did not have thousands of dollars. Would love to hear from those that said he could not do it.
Old 12-05-2014, 06:37   #1053

Boat: Rafiki 37

OK, in light of DOJ's reminder, here's a frugal-cruising question:

I'm considering purchasing a used sail from a place like Bacon, Minney, or Second Wind. I'd love to hear from people who have purchased from any of the outfits. Did you find their adverts were accurate (measurements, description, rating assessment, etc.)? Were you pleased with the level of service? Any advice from those who have done this?
Old 12-05-2014, 06:54   #1054

Boat: Seawind 1000xl

Quote:
SNIP

By burning 10 gallons a month or whatever does make a big difference. The average person on this planet uses far less than this figure. There is simply not enough resources for this level of consumption to continue, and it really is too much. 1 liter per person per year is a more reasonable figure.

SNIP
WARNING RANT ALERT:bang head::bang head:

No question about resources being limited. On the other hand the projected increase in the number of persons on the earth may bring your one liter per person per year as a reasonable figure.

But gas is far from the resource we need to worry about most. In the US most of the population lives very close to the coast. Salt water intrusion due to a falling ground water level from wells supplying city residents is becoming a critical problem. In many farming areas wells for farming have lowered the ground water level to the point that if it was stopped completely now it would take thousands of years for the ground water level to recover. Southern CA (in fact CA as a whole) simply could not survive without water from out of state rivers that are drying up.

The sad thing is the US is in better shape than most of the rest of the world. Third world countries's water supply is a major cause of high mortality levels due to water born diseases.

The law of supply and demand teaches us there has to be a balance between supply and demand. At some point the supply of the earth's resources will simply not be able to meet the demand of an ever increasing population, be it oil, foot, or water.
tomfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:03   #1055
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
There is simply not enough resources for this level of consumption to continue, and it really is too much. 1 liter per person per year is a more reasonable figure.
LOL Honey at 1 liter of fuel per year per person, a whole lota folks are going to starve and your dumpster food sources will disappear as there will be no fuel to plow the fields or harvest the food or transport it to market. The food you eat, from land sources anyway, use way more then 1 liter per year to get to your dumpster.

I do agree that world current levels of consumption is not sustainable long term. But saying that 1 liter per person per year is adequate, shows a profound misunderstanding on what it takes to survive and eat on this planet. Even in 3rd world nations, unless your living in a hut on eating berrys and raw fish.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:07   #1056
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
OK, in light of DOJ's reminder, here's a frugal-cruising question:

I'm considering purchasing a used sail from a place like Bacon, Minney, or Second Wind. I'd love to hear from people who have purchased from any of the outfits. Did you find their adverts were accurate (measurements, description, rating assessment, etc.)? Were you pleased with the level of service? Any advice from those who have done this?
I've not purchased a used sail from a commercial outfit. I did look at them all when I was needing a new mainsail. Luckily I found a fellow that had a sail that was close to the size I needed. Close enough and it was in good shape and the price was cheap.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:19   #1057

Boat: Colombia Cc 11.8
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post

LOL Honey at 1 liter of fuel per year per person, a whole lota folks are going to starve and your dumpster food sources will disappear as there will be no fuel to plow the fields or harvest the food or transport it to market. The food you eat, from land sources anyway, use way more then 1 liter per year to get to your dumpster.

I do agree that world current levels of consumption is not sustainable long term. But saying that 1 liter per person per year is adequate, shows a profound misunderstanding on what it takes to survive and eat on this planet. Even in 3rd world nations, unless your living in a hut on eating berrys and raw fish.
+1 and I'm a person who tries to minimize my impact on the planet. This could be a great thread. I'm very interested in people living a good life without spending a lot of money. I will post a full review on my EasyGreen sprouter shortly. But I have to say it's working great so far I have broccoli sprouts, mung bean sprouts, and I also sprout chickpeas and then cook them shortly. awesome hummus. It may not seem like a lot to a lot of people but already I'm eating better and saving a lot of money. And having food that I can store for long-term and also be fresh and healthy is one of my major goals
sparrowhawk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:26   #1058

Boat: O'Day 28
pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
+1 and I'm a person who tries to minimize my impact on the planet. This could be a great thread. I'm very interested in people living a good life without spending a lot of money. I will post a full review on my EasyGreen sprouter shortly. But I have to say it's working great so far I have broccoli sprouts, mung bean sprouts, and I also sprout chickpeas and then cook them shortly. awesome hummus. It may not seem like a lot to a lot of people but already I'm eating better and saving a lot of money. And having food that I can store for long-term and also be fresh and healthy is one of my major goals

Eagerly awaiting this.
Blue Crab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 08:32   #1059

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Crab View Post

Eagerly awaiting this.
Thanks I want to use it for a couple months so I can give a really good report but so far I couldn't be happier. also I bought a 12 volt timer and connected it to a small inverter so I didn't have to use the 110 volt timer and have my inverter on full time. Works great but I will give a full review with photos in the near future
Old 12-05-2014, 08:57   #1060

Boat: Rafiki 37

Easy Sprout looks pretty fancy Sparrow. Look forward to your review. I started sprouting with a jar, but bought these stackable trays a couple of seasons ago. I find them easy to use and manage, and they produce a constant supply for the two of us.

Old 12-05-2014, 09:15   #1061

Quote:
Easy Sprout looks pretty fancy Sparrow. Look forward to your review. I started sprouting with a jar, but bought these stackable trays a couple of seasons ago. I find them easy to use and manage, and they produce a constant supply for the two of us.
Yeah they're kind of overpriced but so far it's worth it. I've tried sprouting in every way possible ( we talked about it in growing your own food) and the biggest drawbacks I've had is having to remember( be available) to rinse them 3 to 4 times a day and using a lot of water. Also I would have them growing for 4 days and then have to do something the next day and lose them all. Edit I also live in Florida so rotting is a big problem
Old 12-05-2014, 09:35   #1062

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1 View Post
Thanks I want to use it for a couple months so I can give a really good report but so far I couldn't be happier. also I bought a 12 volt timer and connected it to a small inverter so I didn't have to use the 110 volt timer and have my inverter on full time. Works great but I will give a full review with photos in the near future
What does it use power for - fan, heater, mister? Wondering whether it could be made to run on its own small solar panel.

Just had a quick look on line, £189 seems a lot

Really got to stop living on pizza though...
bornyesterday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 09:48   #1063

Quote:
Originally Posted by bornyesterday View Post

What does it use power for - fan, heater, mister? Wondering whether it could be made to run on its own small solar panel.

Just had a quick look on line, £189 seems a lot

Really got to stop living on pizza though...
Their specs are 18watts a month. Of course this does not include if you have to have your inverter on full time. so that's why I added the 12 Volt timer and a small inverter to my system. So if you do it this way add10 to 20% for inverter loss. I also saw YouTube videos were they put an amp meter on it and showed very little draw. And I have to admit my main draw was not that I love sprouts but I know I need to eat better. And I want to save money that's why I posted on this thread. Did you know broccoli sprouts are 20 times more nutritious than broccoli?
Old 12-05-2014, 13:40   #1064

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparrowhawk1;1539331I
will post a full review on my EasyGreen sprouter shortly.
there are some active discussions on sprouting going on in the provisioning forum. lot's to learn / discuss over there.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 13:44   #1065

Boat: csy 37

Quote:
I'm considering purchasing a used sail from a place like Bacon, Minney, or Second Wind. I'd love to hear from people who have purchased from any of the outfits.
mike, i bought from second wind. i think it's important to actually see the sail yourself. the shipping back and forth of heavy sails because of some dissatisfaction could get expensive. the sail i bought was probably about the condition they described, but not quite what i had expected. bought it anyway because i felt i could repair/clean it myself.
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget