Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-02-2014, 10:28   #856

Boat: Lindsey Center Cockpit 39' Ketch
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Pretty awesome.....taking advantage of mother nature......

S/V Water Wings
fjwiley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 10:32   #857
Armchair Bucketeer

One of the jokes around here is - in Guernsey (our smaller sister isle) they built their harbours in deep water.......in Jersey we built ours on dry land .

But like everything, it has pros and cons - BTW those boats in the background are on what we call here "working berths".....the boats float for only around 2 weeks a month!, and even then not for long!......albeit sometimes the tide reaches within inches of the top of the wall.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 10:36   #858

How much tide swing is it normally DOJ ?

S/V Water Wings
Old 16-02-2014, 10:40   #859
Armchair Bucketeer

A very small tide is around 24 foot, very big is a tad over 40....."normal" I guess is between 30 and 38 foot.

http://jerseyeveningpost.com/weather/tide-times/

Sounds a lot (compared to other places), but not really an issue - can be a big pro as well as having a downside........but those all mostly about the currents the tidal rise and fall create than the risk of hitting anything (one of the plusses is you get to see the rocks you could hit!).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 10:46   #860

Wow...is a understatement.....that's a lot of swing but when you are used to it I'm sure it's not a big deal.

I'm on the St John's River here in Jacksonville, Fl and my dock runs out 400' for me to get 10' at low tide, 14' at high...a fixed dock. Wish I could afford a floating dock....

S/V Water Wings
Old 16-02-2014, 11:08   #861

Looking at Google Earth..would my assumption be wrong that "Jersey" is east of London on the River ??

S/V Water Wings
Old 16-02-2014, 12:07   #862
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
Looking at Google Earth..would my assumption be wrong that "Jersey" is east of London on the River ??
Yes.

Two more guesses....
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 12:11   #863

Life is Good if ya keepa Smilin....

S/V Water Wings
Old 16-02-2014, 16:03   #864

Boat: Newport 28 & Robalo 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Actually in the us, t-mobiles month to month cost has no added fees. For me, and I check everywhere, it's the cheapest plan. The two year plans actually cost more, as they ding you with taxes and fees. Plus after 2.5 gig it slows down and not off.
SC and the rest of y'all discussing cell/mobile phone and/or data plans:

AFAIK, There are no better plans than those offered by the Cricket Wireless system that I have seen in extensive shopping (and I just did another cursory check, comparing to T-Mobile and AIO- AT&T's budget MNVO). ( Cell Phones | Cell Phone Service Companies | Cricket Wireless )
Cricket also has pretty good nationwide coverage too, and partners with other cell operators when off their own network infrastructure; especially coastal areas: wireless coverage maps | Cricket Wireless

I have Cricket's top smartphone 'no contract', no penalties plan, it has everything, including 10G of 3/4G-LTE data, for just $70/mo (unlimited 3-4G speeds to limit, then throttled to dialup-DSL speeds w/no limit on bytes). There are two other cheaper unlimited smartphone plans, $50/mo-2.5G data+phone stuff, and $60/mo-5G data+phone.
If you are paying for a data plan, and a cell phone for talking, your total cost is probably more.

Cricket also offers some low priced data-only plans with a 'hotspot' modem that wifi or USB's to your devices. Unlimited Wireless Internet Plans | Cricket Wireless

This 'no contract' plan allows me to tether/personal hotspot (via USB, Wifi, Bluetooth) up to FIVE other devices, up to 100+ feet away, like my desktop, several laptops and tablets, simultaneously, with NO extra charges or penalties like the other mobile operators (and all this data tethering can be done at the same time as yapping on the phone, etc., and the smartphone surfs too).
The plans also include unlimited voice, text, pics, etc., and unlimited music downloads from their very large library (Muve Music- Sony?).

The other vendors just can't compare (or won't...), especially the big dogs like ATT, VZ, Sprint, TMob. (and I'm the kind of careful consumer that has subscribed to Consumer Reports for 50 years). And I have a Verizon landline (who I now hate-- been waiting 15 years for just a lousy DSL internet conn, and they won't invest in the COfc ), a T-Mobile mobile prepaid (for biz), and have had the other big mobile co. plans in the past, Cricket wins.

The Cricket Wireless smartphone webpage is here: Cell Phone Plans & Deals | Cricket Wireless

I have no financial interests in Cricket, I just live in a rural type area when not on the boat, and am grateful to finally have halfway decent internet (and phone) service at a comparatively inexpensive cost, that travels with me.

I urge you to at least have a looksee, since Cricket is merging with AT&T and who knows what might happen later on.

(and I know the telephone/mobile systems very well (going back to IMTS, and the beginnings of the cell system forward), having worked in the industry for 35 years in a high level technical capacity with the top dAwg)
Tx J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 17:25   #865
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tx J View Post
SC and the rest of y'all discussing cell/mobile phone and/or data plans: Cricket also offers some low priced data-only plans with a 'hotspot' modem that wifi or USB's to your devices.
Lets see for wifi hot spots Cricket offers 2 gig's @3G speeds at $35 a month. and Tmobile offers 2.5 gig at 4G speeds for $30 a month, fixed fee, month to month. Both provide unlimited internet but slow speeds down to 2G speed (50kbit) after limit. Tmobile beats at the higher usage rates too.

Might want to take a look at tmobile again as they now match or beat crickets pricing on all devices, so it looks like. I have yet to find a lower price point.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 19:03   #866

Boat: MacGregor 25', Columbia 26 Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjwiley1 View Post
I think it's off the coast of France by Normandy.
frank_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2014, 19:17   #867

Quote:
Lets see for wifi hot spots Cricket offers 2 gig's @3G speeds at $35 a month. and Tmobile offers 2.5 gig at 4G speeds for $30 a month, fixed fee, month to month. Both provide unlimited internet but slow speeds down to 2G speed (50kbit) after limit. Tmobile beats at the higher usage rates too.

Might want to take a look at tmobile again as they now match or beat crickets pricing on all devices, so it looks like. I have yet to find a lower price point.
First, assuming that you also use a separate cell phone plan for talking, if you add the cost of that in, and compare to a combination Cricket smartphone/data plan ($50-70, all-inclusive), Cricket wins (your $30data+ a cell phone-- for $20?+tax/fees/etc = $50, not likely).
I still use an old T-Mob pre-paid 'feature' phone sometimes, but a couple of the keys don't work now.

Second, the C plans include all taxes, etc., into the published price (unlike T-Mob--> "Plus taxes, fees and monthly device payment" ).

Third, C data (and smartphone) plans are for 4G-LTE service, with fallback to 3G (or maybe even 2G) if 4G isn't available in your area. It looks like C 4G is light in your area now (SFBay?), but in many other areas it's PFG...errr...pretty good.

Fourth, I've still got my now dormant Cricket data only modem (Crosswave), which I could turn on just by paying for a month; and it's a 4Gb/$40/mo legacy plan, cheaper than new ones I guess.
I used it for data/tethering, along with a mobile Sprint voice tel low end minutes plan (total for both was running $85-100/mo).
Then Cricket started the package smartphone/data plan ($70/mo total/unlimited), which cannot be beat, and I switched to it; discontinuing the Sprint cell voice plan entirely (I asked for a comparable deal, they couldn't match, not even close- like the others. And most either prohibit, or charge $$extra to use data tethering to your devices, C doesn't.).

I thought I would also kill my VZ landline phone service RSN, but I haven't yet (rationalizing it as my 'backup' voice and dialup data service if storms take everything else down). Really should just end it, my kids, ex, etc., don't have landlines anymore (I guess like Spock, my hemat is copper-based).

And you have "Number Portability" with any cell phone now, if you want to keep your old number (I changed # because Cricket found me a 'good' number-- easy to remember, heh; pretty good customer service too, what little contact I've had w/them).

Of course, when I had a C 4Gb limit data only plan, I started bumping into the limit (dang Microsoft, et al., updates in large part). Then went to the smartphone/tether plan (which started at ~5-6Gb). OK for a while, and then at the limit again; then they offered 10Gb and now I rarely limit out (but no cat videos, etc).

Of course no current wireless cell phone system based plan will compete with the big city ISP's, fiber, and cable plans.
My kids have been used to IP stuff I can still only dream about here in the boonies (damned monopolistic telcos), from their uni days to today (huge Gb data limits, if any, blazing Mbps speeds-- measured 9-12 times faster than my 3G boonies conn at one's apartment , and the Coasties have the mil stuff-- yikes! freaking awesome- but for mil biz only).
(and I was in IT before it was called IT, dangit; began emailing in '72, on heavy iron dup/trip mainframes, core mem, X.25 etc).
Old 16-02-2014, 20:00   #868
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
First, assuming that you also use a separate cell phone plan for talking, if you add the cost of that in, and compare to a combination Cricket smartphone/data plan ($50-70, all-inclusive), Cricket wins (your $30data+ a cell phone-- for $20?+tax/fees/etc = $50, not likely).
I still use an old T-Mob pre-paid 'feature' phone sometimes, but a couple of the keys don't work now.

Second, the C plans include all taxes, etc., into the published price (unlike T-Mob--> "Plus taxes, fees and monthly device payment" ).

Third, C data (and smartphone) plans are for 4G-LTE service, with fallback to 3G (or maybe even 2G) if 4G isn't available in your area. It looks like C 4G is light in your area now (SFBay?), but in many other areas it's PFG...errr...pretty good.

Fourth, I've still got my now dormant Cricket data only modem (Crosswave), which I could turn on just by paying for a month; and it's a 4Gb/$40/mo
Sorry, just comparing apple to apples. Tmobile also offers prepaid 50/60/70 smartphones plans. All unlimited, but data at $50 and $60 levels slow after reaching limit. $70 is unlimited. Tethering is included in the 60 and 70 dollar plans. I use a wifi hot spot and use skype or google voice for voip.

T mobile's prepaid hot spots are fixed fee and no extra taxes etc. actually cheaper then their month to month plans which do add in taxes and fees. For internet only you can get 4.5 Gigs for $40 or 6.5 Gig for $50. No extra fees and no contracts. So more data bandwidth for the same or less then Cricket. Sweet!!!

Agreed Cricket is a bit light for coverage in the SF bay area. Sort of looks like metro PCS or sprint maybe. Not great coverage out this way. I know that t-mobile works everywhere I anchor in the bay and delta.

I was an early adopter for smart phone tethering, way back in 2008, running cyanogenmod 2.2 on a G1. Worked well until until it got run over by a car a few years back. Blonde happens is all I can say. Currently have a NookHD running 4.4.2 kitkat (Also Cyanogenmod, way cool). I don't get many phone calls, so internet is my main need. Really for the $500 a month cruiser a smart phone may be in the budget, but its sure not in mine.
Old 16-02-2014, 21:13   #869

Quote:
Sorry, just comparing apple to apples. Tmobile also offers prepaid 50/60/70 smartphones plans. All unlimited, but data at $50 and $60 levels slow after reaching limit. $70 is unlimited...unlimit data only on the smartphone w/the small screen, not your device, and there's probably other gotchas.... Tethering is included in the 60 and 70 dollar plans...tether has a measly 2.5Gb limit, and lots of other gotchas in the fine print, plus extra for t,f&etc; nowhere competitive w/Cricket.... I use a wifi hot spot and use skype or google voice for voip....for a few dollars more (+$20/$50plan): everything bundled together (I know, I've got strict limits on the 'wants' too)...

T mobile's prepaid hot spots are fixed fee and no extra taxes etc. actually cheaper then their month to month plans which do add in taxes and fees. For internet only you can get 4.5 Gigs for $40...same as my now dormant Cricket Crosswave, I couldn't resist the ev'thing bundle... or 6.5 Gig for $50. No extra fees and no contracts. So more data bandwidth for the same or less then Cricket. Sweet!!!

Agreed Cricket is a bit light for coverage in the SF bay area. Sort of looks like metro PCS...think Cricket bought them some time ago... or sprint maybe. Not great coverage out this way. I know that t-mobile works everywhere I anchor in the bay and delta. ...T-Mobile was trying like hell to exit the US market not long ago...

I was an early adopter...still use my old TI Avigo (you can write on the touchscreen! SotA in about '99), and have older working PDA's... for smart phone tethering, way back in 2008, running cyanogenmod 2.2 on a G1. Worked well until until it got run over by a car a few years back. Blonde happens is all I can say ...... . Currently have a NookHD running 4.4.2 kitkat (Also Cyanogenmod, way cool)....was looking at pdanet/foxfi stuff, getting complicated for me... I don't get many phone calls, so internet is my main need. Really for the $500 a month cruiser a smart phone may be in the budget, but its sure not in mine....I think the $500 bit has been getting stretched around here anyway, I can't imagine it; but I'm on dirt usually so far (with all the bills to go with it : small mtg, utils, vehicles, food, etc., heh...)
What's a "NookHD", a tablet?
Been wanting to substitute a tablet for my Sony VAIO Windoz7 laptop (delicate for the boat, a Panasonic Toughbook would be nice, someday) and see if it is better all around.

And I've also been writing to maybe help out all here considering ISP and voice services.
I'm just a pretty satisfied Cricket customer so far (MMMV later, of course). And I'm aware in some places they're considered a 'ghetto' targeted product line, but I look at the bottomline/facts/reality, not the 'image' aspect.
Old 16-02-2014, 21:42   #870
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
What's a "NookHD", a tablet?
Been wanting to substitute a tablet for my Sony VAIO Windoz7 laptop (delicate for the boat, a Panasonic Toughbook would be nice, someday) and see if it is better all around.

And I've also been writing to maybe help out all here considering ISP and voice services.
I'm just a pretty satisfied Cricket customer so far (MMMV later, of course). And I'm aware in some places they're considered a 'ghetto' targeted product line, but I look at the bottomline/facts/reality, not the 'image' aspect.
NoodHD was the barns and noble high def. color tablet. They stopped making them last year as there were so easy hackable. Throw 4.3 or 4.4 android on it and its pretty sweet. For $130 I've a nice tablet with high res. duel core, etc. Its not perfect, but for me it does all i need it too. Great for skype, video, general surfing etc. I've the kindle app on it along with other ereaders. Kendle has more free books. Plus it offers expandable memory, which is a biggy. Unrooted its pretty hobbled. Throw a nice android build on it and its sweet.

On the hook, laptops use lots O battery power. The nookHD takes about 4-6 amps at 5V-6V ish to charge, which is about a 1/3 of a cheap netbook. Laptop batteries take a fair amount of solar to charge and have limited battery life (in the cheaper units) Having enough power is always an issue on the hook. Smart phones need charging all the time. The Hot spot thingy has a dinky battery so I leave it plugged into the usb port on the inverter all the time.

Tmobile is a bit confusing as they have the month to month plans which add in taxes, fees etc. But they offer many of the same phones on prepaid which is fixed price with no added taxes or fees. Not sure why someone would buy a non-prepaid tmobile phone as it just costs more for just about the same service.. The prepaid phones and hotspots match the price points as Cricket. Its not quite one to one, but pretty darn close. For internet only its better. least wise, out this way.

Tags
budget