Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2013, 14:36   #766

Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
Yeah, she's a darn good boat. But, with all the stuff I have on her there's little room left for me!

What number is yours? Mine's #55.

Found out a couple months ago or so that mine is the first one Bob Eeg built when he got the mold. I bought it last year in Apr. Just got in the water a few months ago so getting it ready for sailing.
Also, it's my first boat.
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 14:49   #767

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post

Found out a couple months ago or so that mine is the first one Bob Eeg built when he got the mold. I bought it last year in Apr. Just got in the water a few months ago so getting it ready for sailing.
Also, it's my first boat.
So, is it because it is Eeg's first that makes your boat rare?

Great choice for a first boat. I almost bought a Union 36 as my first boat. Would have been a 'too big' boat for me to start with.

Every time I think about owning a bigger boat, I come to my senses and realized the boat I have - except for her small size that makes finding crew difficult - is the perfect boat. Still, I'd like to have the same design, proportionately the same only 32' long.
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 15:00   #768

Quote:
So, is it because it is Eeg's first that makes your boat rare?

Great choice for a first boat. I almost bought a Union 36 as my first boat. Would have been a 'too big' boat for me to start with.

Every time I think about owning a bigger boat, I come to my senses and realized the boat I have - except for her small size that makes finding crew difficult - is the perfect boat. Still, I'd like to have the same design, proportionately the same only 32' long.
I say mine is rare because it seems most others I've seen are aft-cabin versions.

I've thought of larger boats for the future, like a larger Cape George, but I think my boat is all I can handle for the work and costs involved. I've had several people ask me if I would be willing to sell but I wouldn't sell it for anything right now. I love my little boat.
Old 26-08-2013, 15:07   #769

Quote:
I say mine is rare because it seems most others I've seen are aft-cabin versions.

I've thought of larger boats for the future, like a larger Cape George, but I think my boat is all I can handle for the work and costs involved. I've had several people ask me if I would be willing to sell but I wouldn't sell it for anything right now. I love my little boat.
Totally missed the 'aft cockpit' part of your post. Wouldn't know what to do without the garage.
Old 26-08-2013, 15:13   #770

Quote:
Totally missed the 'aft cockpit' part of your post. Wouldn't know what to do without the garage.
So far, I'm already using one of the quarterberths for storage so I know what you mean.
Old 26-08-2013, 15:18   #771

Quote:
So far, I'm already using one of the quarterberths for storage so I know what you mean.
Noticed in your profile comments your 'ready to settle down' and marry. Doesn't quite square with travelling on your 'own terms' someday...

Anyway, the reason I point this out, is because the head consumes a lot of otherwise useful storage space. Yank it out and use a bucket to recover this space. Unless of course you marry and have a woman aboard...

Good luck!
Old 26-08-2013, 15:21   #772

Working on getting the young lady involved and interested.

It's going to be a long slow process.
Old 26-08-2013, 15:22   #773

Quote:
Working on getting the young lady involved and interested.

It's going to be a long slow process.
Like I said. Good luck!
Old 26-08-2013, 15:32   #774
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
No starbucks! Fergit it! But wait, I love good BBQ and a decent breakfast. Sounds good.

How well I remember Molly Stone. Could afford the day old bread. The bigger market in Rio Vista sounds good. Maybe they'll have day old bread too...

So, how do you get to shore? At the boat ramp? The dock? How far from Rio Vista is an anchorage sheltered from the SSW/SSE?

Where can you anchor in so (south?) central bay in the winter where it's sheltered? Yeah, San Joaquin valley type hot! Lived in Lodi.
From Rio Vista a few miles north or south will get you to a protected spot. up around by Vieira's and down by decker island. Also in three mile slough across from brannon is park. Other places to ride out storms is potato slough or spots in franks track or well tons of other places too. Middle slough by pittsburg is very protected, Though 30+ feet deep.

I use the boat dock, but you could probable tie the kayak up behind city hall by the boat ramps. Its all within 100 feet of each other.

As far as riding out a big blow. Off mare island is protected except from the north. The petaluma river east side by highway 37 is also protected just about 360 degrees. Got to anchor off the side as the tugs/ barges go by near high tides most days.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 20:43   #775

Boat: 'Shenoa' Hartley Tasman 27' bilge keeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Not a starbucks out that way that I know of. I don't drink coffee anyway. I know, I'm weird!
I've had that stuff they sell at Starbucks. Pretty sure it isn't coffee.

Weird is good. I get really annoyed if there's something weird going on and nobody tells me about it.

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2013, 04:39   #776

Boat: Skookum 53'

When the going gets strange, the weird turn pro!
Old 27-08-2013, 06:04   #777

Boat: Hughes 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
When the going gets strange, the weird turn pro!
That's a good one! Shouldn't it be over in the favorite quotes thread? (Or it probably already is...)
Old 27-08-2013, 06:11   #778

Boat: Skookum 53'

I cannot quote the source, I think it was Hunter S. Thompson, but I am not sure. Maybe in his book "Where the buffaloes roam."
Old 27-08-2013, 06:43   #779

Quote:
From Rio Vista a few miles north or south will get you to a protected spot. up around by Vieira's and down by decker island. Also in three mile slough across from brannon is park. Other places to ride out storms is potato slough or spots in franks track or well tons of other places too. Middle slough by pittsburg is very protected, Though 30+ feet deep.
Great news!

Quote:
I use the boat dock, but you could probable tie the kayak up behind city hall by the boat ramps. Its all within 100 feet of each other..
Am I correct in assuming you don't use/have a dinghy, and always take your sail boat to the dock? If so, how do you get past the 4 hour limit if an errand (like fetching engine parts) takes longer? I ask because you still haven't said where I'll be able to disembark from my kayak, only where I can 'probably' tie it up.

Quote:
As far as riding out a big blow. Off mare island is protected except from the north. The petaluma river east side by highway 37 is also protected just about 360 degrees. Got to anchor off the side as the tugs/ barges go by near high tides most days.
Anchor north or south of the bridge? Do the tows slow down for the bridge going through there? I've had my moments with passing barges/ships while anchored in the I.C.W. due to an emergency on one occasion, and on the advice of a tug captain to anchor in a 'cut' on another occasion. Scary stuff

You've convinced me it's doable, although not my preferred ideal situation. Considering the alternative(s), I believe I'll be hiring transport soon to haul me & my boat back to the Bay Area. Yeah, they either allow me to ride along, or they don't get the job. I've communicated with one hauler on UShip who will let me ride along and launch my boat in Stockton's fresh water. Still have to hire a crane here though...$$$ Really tees me off because my boat is designed to be launched and retrieved from boat ramps.

Thanks so very much for your answers!
Old 27-08-2013, 12:19   #780

Boat: Stevens Custom 50

I like many of the serious suggestions in this thread -- and have developed some skill in skipping over the scurrilous ones. Here are my additions to the list:

1. It's true that you can save lots of money on buying the boat. But find somebody who knows stuff and have him/her check the boat out before you pay good money for it. Main areas: Hull construction (don't buy an old wood boat or a modern low-priced fibreglass one; check the thickness of steel and aluminum); rig (look for "fish hooks", rust stains); motor (compression check if possible -- all else can be fixed relatively cheaply); big price stuff like inverter, windlass, anchor chain. Boats that look the worst -- dirty, smelly, been submerged, etc. -- are frequently the best deals.

2. Anchor, don't stay in marinas.

3. Don't buy cheap automobile replacement for electrical fittings -- pay for Ancor heat-shrink connectors and you'll save money in the long haul. Use tinned wire.

4. As many have said, learn how to fix it yourself. Prior knowledge is not required. Get a copy of Nigel Caulder's Mechanical and Electrical Manual. Learn the basics of DC electricity. Talk with other cruisers who know stuff.

5. Don't drink at bars, even in cheap countries. More sailors piss away their money on drink than on boat parts.

6. Plan to sail, not power. That means, buy a boat that goes to windward -- it's cheaper, calmer and more fun than motoring.

7. As others have said, do your own cooking with local ingredients. Fridges are for softies.

And good luck with the $500 a month! I'd guess that $1000 a month is a much more realistic goal, especially if you're repairing a mis-used boat.

In answer to the posts about cheap substitutes for caulking, the indigenous people of Latin America dissolve styrofoam in gasoline -- makes a silicon-like goop that seems to work on dugout canoes, at least.
Akka is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget