Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-08-2013, 20:11   #751
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 262
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
I was sitting in my house and wondering if I was any happier than when in my cabin, and the answer was no. For me possessions or numbers on a bank statement does not determine my level of joy in life.
You sir are a smart man. With that attitude you should be able to live just about anywhere.
-Bruce
__________________

__________________

Ballenxj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 04:00   #752
Registered User
 
Mike OReilly's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Good question
Boat: Rafiki 37
Posts: 3,948
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanedennis View Post
North of Kelly's Island is pretty and the island is cool (walk south across the island to town) but the holding is iffy and the anchorage is totally exposed to the north.

You can find places to anchor in every harbor of refuge on the south side of lake pexcept Cleveland. The best anchorage on the south side, by far, is the one in the Presque Isle State Park across the harbor from Erie, PA.

The prevailing winds make it possible to do Lake Erie in two of three days. I did it over I would plan to rush through it and save my time and money for future destinations. They get better and better after Lake Erie.
Thanks Shane/toggles. Much appreciate it. I'll mark these places, but as you suggest Shane, we'll likely blow through Erie quickly. It really doesn't look very inviting.
__________________

__________________
Why go fast, when you can go slow.
BLOG: www.helplink.com/CLAFC
Mike OReilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 06:08   #753
Registered User
 
Greggegner's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 406
Depending on weather forecast you can find an anchorage around the Bass Islands and Kelleys. As stated Kelly's holding is questionable. I know a guy that put 2 yes 2 boats on the rocks in one season. Look at the North east side of Middle Bass nice hole there. Don't anchor in But-In-Bay, $1,000 fine for dragging.
__________________
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 07:54   #754
Registered User
 
Group9's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 1,562
Images: 7
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I have noticed that when I mention "quitting" or "taking a sabbatical" or some such I get looks that seem to inquire if I have done something criminal to get enough money. Or the lotto question.

The wife looks askance at me a little too. Maybe that is why I am still working.
They have us conditioned well.
__________________
Group9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:50   #755
Registered User

Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 27
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Group9 View Post
They have us conditioned well.

I told my Mom I'm working 19 more months and then taking off on a sailboat into the Gulf of Mexico, and she thinks I've absolutely lost it. Maybe I have. By then I will have just turned 40, so could this be my "midlife crisis"? Haha. I don't care!
__________________
Lonestaralaskan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 08:54   #756
Wayfaring Mariner
 
captain58sailin's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Homer, AK is my home port
Boat: Skookum 53'
Posts: 4,045
Images: 5
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

For my mid life crisis, I bought a dc panel for my boat. The ET is working steadily and things are much better. Now I've got to get home and get cracking on the engine/transmission swap, and then I can be happy . Actually then I can throw the lines off and say "What job?"
__________________
" Wisdom; is your reward for surviving your mistakes"
captain58sailin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 11:15   #757
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Oh the San Francisco bay to the cali Delta is where I generally hangout. While in the central bay your pretty much limited to Sausalito/Richardson Bay,
It's been almost six years since I anchored in Sausalito, out from what used to be Zack's. West side of channel before the marina. Was told by the port authority to move, but I convinced them I was neither in the channel or on private property. And yes, the city has plots right up to the channel. Stop into the planning department sometime and ask to see the city zoning information... Said I wasn't going to move and surprisingly they left me alone. Changes in last six years that nullify my argument? Marina expansion, new construction?

Richardson Bay is deceptive. The open areas where one believes they can anchor are usually empty because it is too shallow. Otherwise, you risk your boat colliding with boats on moorings. Of course you can go "way out" and possibly find an anchorage, but kayaking the distance in possibly choppy conditions and strong current does not particularly appeal to me. The whole of Sausalito and Richardson Bay are exposed to strong Southerlies. I know of one death there as a consequence of people trying to save a boat from dragging. No place to be in these conditions. So, I used to go over to Prickly Bay in the winter. This anchorage was the key to making the whole thing work for me. Can't anymore with the new restrictions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
and maybe off Alameda in the estuary. There are a few places on the SF side, but dinghy theft would be an issue.
Have been chased away by the Coasties and Water Police in the Estuary opposite Alameda. Can't anchor here, they say. Besides, holding is poor in most places.

I believe there are no anchorages on the S.F. side with unencumbered access and no restrictions... Otherwise, services aplenty would be available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
There are three towns in the delta with public docks for short term (2-4 hours) use. In the delta there are hundreds of places to anchor, many with 360 degree protection, that offer flat water protected anchorage, even in storms. A bit cold in the winter though.
Where in the delta are there anchorages sheltered from wind and wakes, with unencumbered access to services? Especially services? You're absolutely right about wintertime conditions, but I'd like to add foggy and muddy to cold!

Docks with use limited to 2-4 hour use is not unencumbered access. As for the hundreds of anchorages see my comment above....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Other places to anchor include off mare Island across from Vallejo (out of the the channel), Off Benicia in the early spring or fall when the winds are down, near Pittsburg and Antiock, a bit noisy there with the trains and industrial plants.
I've never been to the suggested Mare Island, Benecia, Pittsburg or Antioch anchorages. Is there unencumbered access in these locations? No anchoring restrictions? Services? When wind is from an unfavourable direction in any of these anchorages is there an nearby alternate anchorage where you can move to for shelter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
So its pretty easy to find what ever you need. Just need to be a little flexible.
Convince me. Not sure I really want to do Mexico and the South Pacific again. Once your committed to doing that, you have to either sell your boat somewhere along the way or go the full distance around. Do I have that in me anymore? Not sure.
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2013, 18:11   #758
Registered User
 
haiqu's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Somewhere on Australia's east coast.
Boat: 'Keppelena' Hartley Queenslander 33'
Posts: 465
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
For my mid life crisis, I bought a dc panel for my boat.
I moved in with a 23yo redhead. Ah, memories.
__________________
http://www.cruiserswiki.org - Moderator

"The cure for anything is salt water... sweat, tears, or the sea" -- Isak Dinesen
haiqu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 05:06   #759
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Originally Posted by sailorchic34
"There are three towns in the delta with public docks for short term (2-4 hours) use."

Does the 2-4 hour limit apply to your sail boat, dinghies or both? I am interested in unfettered access to shore with my kayak. Requires a beach, dinghy dock, or tall dock with ladder reaching to below the water level. Otherwise, how can you have a life? Take time buying groceries, run time consuming errands (like rounding up engine parts) biking, spend the night or longer ashore or just being sociable? How does one leave their boat and take a flight elsewhere to visit 90 year old mothers? I guess you could beg a ride to shore from another boater - if there's one around and is willing. But then you have to be very confident your boat will be o.k. while gone... Requires at minimum a sheltered anchorage... I would have done this if my boat was in Clipper Cove.

An aside:

When I sailed to San Francisco from Neah Bay, Washington I lost TWO kayaks overboard. One in a near broach. The other when my boat went 110 degrees from vertical while I caught some sleep below. Arrived in Sausalito with no transport to shore. Had to flag down rides to shore and back for three weeks before I found a kayak to buy.


__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 11:10   #760
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,769
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Lets see if you wanted to just sit one place for a while then isleton or walnut grove would be handy. I normally just pull my boat up to the isleton dock for shopping ,etc. Its not a big place and transportation options are limited. But many folks live up the delta on the water. Most tend to float around a bit.

Rio Vista also has a city dock that I've tied too for 3-4 hours. No you can't tie up long term but then you can't do that in Sausalito either. Not officially anyway. Rio Vista has bus service to the Amtrak station in Fairfield. Of course, pittsburg has the amtrak station right at the marina, which is why I don't go there.

Yes Richardson bay can be pretty bouncy when the winter storms come in, Been in one or two there over the years. But Sausalito is just a bit too busy and noisy for me to be there for more then a few days at a time. Generally only go there when I need something from west marine that I can't get elsewhere.. Plus yes it can be pretty choppy in the afternoons so kayaking can get interesting.

Mare Island etc, are just intermediate anchorages from the central bay to the delta and back.

If I had to fly out somewhere, I would put my boat in a marina for the time away. Pricey but less worry that someone will break into my boat that way. But that's just me.

Nope not going to convince you. But there are folk up the delta that do pretty much stay in one place for years. So it is possible. Seen a few boats here and there that do that. One is in middle slough across from Pittsburg.

Though many like me move around a bit. Plus I generally like the quieter spots. Though I do sometimes visit Sausalito too. Just not that often.
__________________
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 11:49   #761
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Lets see if you wanted to just sit one place for a while then isleton or walnut grove would be handy. I normally just pull my boat up to the isleton dock for shopping ,etc. Its not a big place and transportation options are limited. But many folks live up the delta on the water. Most tend to float around a bit

Rio Vista also has a city dock that I've tied too for 3-4 hours. No you can't tie up long term but then you can't do that in Sausalito either. Not officially anyway. Rio Vista has bus service to the Amtrak station in Fairfield. Of course, pittsburg has the amtrak station right at the marina, which is why I don't go there..
Can tie boat to dock for 3-4 hours is good. Is water at the dock? Pump out? Are there boat cops who are a problem?

Amtrak is good. 23 miles to Fairfield from Rio Vista is too far to bike, bus is good. Does the bus have bike racks?

Way too many questions to ask. Most important though: At Isleton and Walnut Grove is there a dinghy landing, and can you leave your dinghy there indefinitely? A beach? A dock where it isn't impossible to get up from a kayak? Grocery prices much more than at major stores?

Starbucks? Good breakfast spot? Other features that make Isla Vista and Walnut Grove attractive places to hang out?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Yes Richardson bay can be pretty bouncy when the winter storms come in, Been in one or two there over the years. But Sausalito is just a bit too busy and noisy for me to be there for more then a few days at a time. Generally only go there when I need something from west marine that I can't get elsewhere.. Plus yes it can be pretty choppy in the afternoons so kayaking can get interesting.

Mare Island etc, are just intermediate anchorages from the central bay to the delta and back.

If I had to fly out somewhere, I would put my boat in a marina for the time away. Pricey but less worry that someone will break into my boat that way. But that's just me.

Nope not going to convince you. But there are folk up the delta that do pretty much stay in one place for years. So it is possible. Seen a few boats here and there that do that. One is in middle slough across from Pittsburg.

Though many like me move around a bit. Plus I generally like the quieter spots. Though I do sometimes visit Sausalito too. Just not that often.
My boat is small enough staying aboard for too long is not something I typically do. Get off early and back before dark. Spend my life mostly ashore (unless on long passages). Inclined to move between anchorages and towns rather than sit in one place.

So, it's important there is someplace to go and things to do. Would probably take Amtrak into S.F. all the time, enjoy G.G. park and the beach. Ride the bike aimlessly, just to enjoy the sights and sounds. Great places to ride in San Francisco and into Sausalito.

Otherwise, my primary concern is shelter from the elements. Sounds like it may be workable. Just need a bit more information from you regarding my questions above.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SausalitoMeArmido.jpeg
Views:	216
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	66035  
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 13:07   #762
Moderator
 
sailorchic34's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: SF Bay Area
Boat: Islander 34
Posts: 4,769
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Not a starbucks out that way that I know of. I don't drink coffee anyway. I know, I'm weird! Maybe one at Antioch.. Plus other places to eat on the delta loop area. Though there are some breakfast places in Rio Vista. Plus a really good BBQ place.

Grocery prices are higher, but not anywhere near as high as molly stone in Sausalito. That place is a little too chi chi for me. Smaller markets in isleton and walnut grove. A bigger supermarket in rio vista about 3/4 mile down main street from the city dock. Hardware store across the highway from the supermarket.

There is a boat ramp behind rio vista city hall which is also next to the city dock. Trash cans at the city docks. Water I generally get at the marina's every other week or so. You can anchor in the river, though at rio vista there is a long fetch from SSW/SSE but not bad otherwise. The marina at rio vista has a pretty nice marine chandlery with resonable prices. You can stay there 4 hours too free.

Though I find quieter places to anchor. Winters are cold up there so central bay, maybe from late December to march first ish. After that its pretty mild in the delta. Hot in summer though.

Ah I see where your anchored, over near the rich boaters
__________________
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 13:37   #763
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Not a starbucks out that way that I know of. I don't drink coffee anyway. I know, I'm weird! Maybe one at Antioch.. Plus other places to eat on the delta loop area. Though there are some breakfast places in Rio Vista. Plus a really good BBQ place.
No starbucks! Fergit it! But wait, I love good BBQ and a decent breakfast. Sounds good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Grocery prices are higher, but not anywhere near as high as molly stone in Sausalito. That place is a little too chi chi for me. Smaller markets in isleton and walnut grove. A bigger supermarket in rio vista about 3/4 mile down main street from the city dock. Hardware store across the highway from the supermarket..
How well I remember Molly Stone. Could afford the day old bread. The bigger market in Rio Vista sounds good. Maybe they'll have day old bread too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
There is a boat ramp behind rio vista city hall which is also next to the city dock. Trash cans at the city docks. Water I generally get at the marina's every other week or so. You can anchor in the river, though at rio vista there is a long fetch from SSW/SSE but not bad otherwise. The marina at rio vista has a pretty nice marine chandlery with resonable prices. You can stay there 4 hours too free.
So, how do you get to shore? At the boat ramp? The dock? How far from Rio Vista is an anchorage sheltered from the SSW/SSE?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Though I find quieter places to anchor. Winters are cold up there so central bay, maybe from late December to march first ish. After that its pretty mild in the delta. Hot in summer though.

Ah I see where your anchored, over near the rich boaters


Where can you anchor in so (south?) central bay in the winter where it's sheltered? Yeah, San Joaquin valley type hot! Lived in Lodi.
__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 14:30   #764
Registered User
 
Rhapsody-NS27's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: VA, boat: Deale, MD
Boat: 1981 Nor'sea 27
Posts: 1,407
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrong View Post
My boat is small enough staying aboard for too long is not something I typically do.
Looking at the picture. You have a pretty good boat.

I have a more rare, aft-cockpit version.
__________________
Daniel - Rhapsody Blog,
ďA sailorís joys are as simple as a childís.Ē ó Bernard Moitessier
"I don't need therapy, I just need my boat"
Rhapsody-NS27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2013, 14:32   #765
Registered User
 
Wrong's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Posts: 1,702
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhapsody-NS27 View Post
Looking at the picture. You have a pretty good boat.

I have a more rare, aft-cockpit version.
Yeah, she's a darn good boat. But, with all the stuff I have on her there's little room left for me!

What number is yours? Mine's #55.
__________________

__________________
Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
budget

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Thoughts on a 1962 Columbia 29 Ripples Monohull Sailboats 283 Yesterday 22:41
Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II) David_Old_Jersey General Sailing Forum 1353 07-09-2017 11:07
Pulled the Trigger on an Islander 34 Spadonky Monohull Sailboats 28 24-07-2015 02:15
Two Bilge Pumps on the Same Hose amarf Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 36 27-03-2012 10:23
OpenCPN Build on Windows - Please Help! kenchan OpenCPN 2 25-03-2012 18:55



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:05.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.