Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 17-07-2013, 09:03   #616

Boat: Bristol 29(1967)
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

I would think that chaining your boat to the dock, should mean that no more charges(for the dock), should be assessed for the dock.

If they tried to collect for say... June and decided to chain the boat in July, that a docker could claim in front of a judge that charges forward of June were(maybe) incurred because the boat owner couldn't remove his boat from the dock.

In fact, since boats are potentially residences, I wonder if some states' abandonment laws are someone cumbersome for a marina to recover bills due by seizing the boat.

I know that at our marina it generally takes more than a year of non-payment for the Marina to successfully get title to the boat.

Old 27-07-2013, 05:22   #617

Boat: Pearson
Send a message via Skype™ to shingani

ehi shoestring I reaLLY ADMIRE YOU A LOT, i had a boat in Luperon DR and was robbed clean and had to to sell it for scrap...and now am looking to start anew in rio dulce.......but the problem is i like booze and looze conTrol after a good nite en el pueblo and i am afraid is gonna be all over again
but is stronger than me.....but i am happier like this.....what mjust i do ?????????????

Old 27-07-2013, 06:02   #618
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingani View Post
ehi shoestring I reaLLY ADMIRE YOU A LOT, i had a boat in Luperon DR and was robbed clean and had to to sell it for scrap...and now am looking to start anew in rio dulce.......but the problem is i like booze and looze conTrol after a good nite en el pueblo and i am afraid is gonna be all over again
but is stronger than me.....but i am happier like this.....what mjust i do ?????????????
Just heading out mate... but I'll give it some serious thought while I'm at the bar... may get back to ya later...
may not...

"Your not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on..."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 06:13   #619
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

boats chained to docks can be liened by marinas at any time after the notice is sent, which is usually 3-6 months of back rent in kali. one marina offered me a columbia 50 that was chained to dock for 50k usdin 1993.
chaining means the derelict owner didnt pay his dock fees and hasnt the dough to so do and the marina isnt wanting to lose their rent. in kali, judges go with the landlord. sad to hear ye may have gotten self into this state--shoulda paid rent. that is number one. before food.

sailorchic---when you have your engine sorted, come on down here to barra=--is lovely and a good place to hang.....mebbe you can help me fix mine perkins by then...lol.....
zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2013, 06:19   #620

Boat: Pearson
Send a message via Skype™ to shingani

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Just heading out mate... but I'll give it some serious thought while I'm at the bar... may get back to ya later...
may not...
ok you mite not get back but the problem is real!!!! I feel that the real people is like me, devil may care attitude, but then you meet real sharks
who encourage you in the reckless attitude.....in other words, if what you got left will outlast your lifespan or not.....that's what counts $$$$$
Old 02-08-2013, 00:58   #621
o_q

Re: Cheap alternate ways $500 a month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don L View Post
real cloth/napkins that can be washed and reused instead of paper towels
Let's take it even further, and use our shirts.
Old 02-08-2013, 04:44   #622
Freelance Delivery Skipper..

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to boatman61
pirate Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shingani View Post
ok you mite not get back but the problem is real!!!! I feel that the real people is like me, devil may care attitude, but then you meet real sharks
who encourage you in the reckless attitude.....in other words, if what you got left will outlast your lifespan or not.....that's what counts $$$$$
LOLOL.... never had that many $$$$$'s so I would not know... its blood, sweat and tears that that keep me going... and a little occasional help from a few who think I'm 'maybe' worth the bother...

"Your not drunk if you can lay on the floor without holding on..."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 04:56   #623
Armchair Bucketeer

And just to say that simply because budget is tight does not mean you have to end up like this:

Regret to Inform Have Lost my Boat off Honduras...

Knowledge and Experience can't be bought - but they do take effort and time, the good news is that both of which are not budget dependent.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 06:35   #624

Boat: Bristol 29(1967)

Zeehag:

I understand the idea of a marina protecting their rights(monetary), and that a boat which in already in arears can be liened on(pun?).

But ... the question is, is the act of holding the boat hostage, also an act by the lienholder to increase the amount of monies owed from an owner who has no option to remove his boat for lack of that "other" bill?

Couldn't this be compared to a family who hasn't paid rent being chained to the rental property(while the costs continuously increase?

As I see it(of course I'm not an attorney, although I once stayed at a Holiday Inn), the marina owner must serve some sort of notice for the docker to vacate the marina ... and of course still owe the monies owed.

BUT, that the monies owed(at least at that time of notice to vacate), would be a simple civil matter for the common pleas court system.

What happens if a docker, who, for some reason, cannot, or will not remove his boat until after the notice to vacate becomes mature, now is being charged ever more money because he cannot satisfy the original debt?

Sounds like the scenerio of the proverbial catch 22 ... can't pay what he owes .... and can't leave in an effort to reduce further charges.

Let's add to the scenerio, that the guy has finally come into some money(dad died or something), and left him enough money to pay the original bill, but not enough to pay the additional costs incurred after being chained which also left him unable to leave and diminish the additional monetary costs)?

In Ohio, a lien is not a license to steal another person's property ... it's a means to get monetary recovery from the sale of that item(or other means).

Add to this, in every state bankruptcy laws spell out what holdings a person can hold fast, even as a person not declaring bankruptcy, along with additional protections for a person actually declaring bankruptcy.

What happens if this boat is determined to be within the protections afforded to the citizens of that state, with or without declaring bankruptcy?

I don't like deadbeats, but the idea(if it exists), of not being able to pay a bill AND not being able to remove one's self from the situation that will cost ever more, seems rather unfair ... like a debtor's jail type scenerio, where an indigent person is put in jail cause he has no money(while in debt), but inccures ever more debt until he'll never get out of jail.
Old 03-08-2013, 08:50   #625
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Skookum 53'

SURV69, While I agree with your premise, how does the owner of the marina collateralize, his debt? The vessel is a moveable object that can be moved and sold without the marina owner's debt being satisfied. Once the vessel owner goes into arrears, should he be allowed to store his vessel at the marina for no additional charge? How about the loss of revenue to the marina owner due to the indigent vessel occupying a slip?
Old 03-08-2013, 08:51   #626
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There already is a debtor's prison, for those who fail to pay child support or the IRS.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:19   #627

Too lazy to read 42 posts to see what's been covered already. So, I'll just list how I've managed to sustain my live aboard full time cruiser lifestyle for the last 20 years.

*Avoid marinas.
*Anchor out.
*Use a kayak instead of inflatable and outboard. Saves on repair, theft of outboard/inflatable, replacement and fuel.
*Wear the clothes I have until worn out. Buy cheap replacements new or used in good condition.
*Wash clothes in a bucket when a hose is available. Hang on a line between bow pulpit and mast to dry.
*Do not consume alcohol or smoke.
*Buy used whenever possible. This includes sails and hardware. The exception is wire for standing rigging and when replacing worn line. However, I seldom dispose of the old line which is one of many reasons my boat is down on the waterline Even kept the standing rigging that came with the boat 20 years ago for emergency use.
*When leaving civilization, purchase wire for standing rigging when cheap and carry aboard whether the existing wire needs replacement or not.
*Use sta-loks to facilitate replacing standing rigging myself.
*Use gorilla tape instead of expensive rig wrap. Contact cement and used sail material for repairs.
*Keep my investment in electronics to a minimum. EPIRB, two working portable gps, fixed VHF, previously used Icom 735 SSB and tuner.
*Perform own engine maintenance and repair. Replaced a Yanmar SB8 in Brisbane, Australia with a new Yanmar 2YM15. Installed myself at anchor instead of paying to have installed and saved about $10,000.
*My weakness is eating out. But then I always try to find the best quantity, taste and texture for the price.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:37   #628
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Sounds like a solid strategy. Value the experiences not the possessions, Salvation army is the best place to shop. When I was knitting my own socks, I would buy wool sweaters from them and unravel and turn into socks.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:42   #629
Wayfaring Mariner

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you wanted to consume alcohol and smoke, you could just put the rule in: "Don't smoke or drink what you have to pay for."
Old 03-08-2013, 10:28   #630
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Send a message via Yahoo to zeehag Send a message via Skype™ to zeehag

doesnt matter if 0u are a hungry family of elebenty seben or a boat 3 months behind or however many your contract says in smallest print made on earth--if it isnt paid the marina has the alleged right to sell your crap to pay your bills. in an apartment, 3 months, sheriffs come to set you straight. no difference, for most part..chain vs sheriffs--which do you prefer--pay the rent an avoid the bs.
derelicts are still derelicts, doesnt matter if on street or on water.
when ye get paid, FIRST pay rent, then eat. if you havent enough money to eat-- yer on a diet,..or holding a sign says homeless derelict and hongree--will eat for food..lol
if you value your crap, pay rent.

if you cannot afford rent--anchor out.

zeehag is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: