Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-03-2012, 16:08   #46

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lippincott 30
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolarose View Post
ahahaaa, what moron you must be to find and highlit, "BOT". i did not even notice that. that is keyboard mised letter. and even if it was my mistake, english is not my first language, not even second.
It was just a joke to lighten things up

Quote:
i wonder on how many language you can "comunicate" on foreign forums.
Two other languages, one fluently, the other one with difficulty.
Old 25-03-2012, 16:19   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
OK, just to show we do occasionally listen, and do indeed care, I'll change the title for you
not sure if flip flop sailors is a good choice,this is a derogatory term for the many fantastic philipino sailors who crew on many of the worlds cargo ships!

they are often on watch,avoiding small yachts on the high seas........or not

some of them also are on cruisers forum!

please change it back to "shoestring sailors,or a shoestring and a prayer!"

before irate phlipino crew start running down yachts at sea
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 16:30   #48

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours
Re: Flipflop Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

I agree on the Flip-Flop name !! Politicly correct term is Go A Heads !! just a take off to the word Gaitas (spl) a japenize word for the spilt toe shoes they wore up untill the late 60s! also they are a little hard to walk backwards In LOL hence Go A Heads just a little history LOL
Old 25-03-2012, 16:41   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
I agree on the Flip-Flop name !! Politicly correct term is Go A Heads !! just a take off to the word Gaitas (spl) a japenize word for the spilt toe shoes they wore up untill the late 60s! also they are a little hard to walk backwards In LOL hence Go A Heads just a little history LOL
thanks bob
in this world of internet forums,search engines and the associated tags.

this name may well cause problems also a lot of these guys only earn $500 a month whilst they cruise.................

something taken out of context on the www re flipflops and $500 may result in someones million dollar yacht being run down.
Old 25-03-2012, 16:59   #50

Boat: too many

I was asked to comment on this thread, but after reading it from page one, don't think I have anything I could add. As to Filipino sailors, I never had the pleasure of sailing with because my container ship background was with SeaLand, and on the drill ships (rigs) were crewed by locals in the waters we were operating in at the time.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 18:04   #51
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Good Lord, I had no idea that Flip flop was a derogatory term. Guess I need to get out more. My apologies to anyone out there. Gee to me a flip flop is a very casual shoe, or perhaps a bi-state integrated circuit. Its pretty much all I wear. Well for shoes that is...

Yes on fenders, last two on my boat were found floating in the water. Always see some floating here or there.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 18:11   #52

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
or perhaps a bi-state integrated circuit.
Boy, I'm starting to really like this lady, she speaks one of my languages.
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2012, 18:44   #53

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo55 View Post
Ok,,,,people have got to back off here,,we are descending into chaos again.
Lets keep it real you guy's the thread Title is very clear,,lets stay on point...Nuff Said ???

No prob............as long as we don't get to 200 pages and then find out that $500 item you bought was actually $1200.

With a bunch of other things given to you for free.

but on topic. The guy that hired out for mast repair and learning - way to go.

I learned the other way. I did boat work (simple grunt work at first of course) in exchange for sailing time on boats that were a far and distant dream. For a long time.

Lots of ways to learn to save.
save to learn
save to save
learn to learn
Old 25-03-2012, 23:28   #54
C.L.O.D

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
in a big marina if you need fenders check the leeward side of the marina.
discarded fenders will end up floating there.
Label your fenders with your boat name, or you won't get 'em back if you drop 'em!

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
not sure if flip flop sailors is a good choice,this is a derogatory term for the many fantastic philipino sailors who crew on many of the worlds cargo ships!
Bloomin 'eck. You can't say nuffink nowadays. I'll change it back to DOJ's original title, then... And then you'll have to start a new thread (witha poll?) to discuss what his thread should be called... Wouldn't want this thread to get off topic, would we?
SaucySailoress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 00:22   #55

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Good Lord, I had no idea that Flip flop was a derogatory term. Guess I need to get out more. My apologies to anyone out there. Gee to me a flip flop is a very casual shoe, or perhaps a bi-state integrated circuit. Its pretty much all I wear. Well for shoes that is...

Yes on fenders, last two on my boat were found floating in the water. Always see some floating here or there.
Flip-Flop... Isn't that what polititians do???
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 04:53   #56
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

thanks
i had visions of irate philipinos running down innocent yachties,after chatting on random internet forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Label your fenders with your boat name, or you won't get 'em back if you drop 'em!

Bloomin 'eck. You can't say nuffink nowadays. I'll change it back to DOJ's original title, then... And then you'll have to start a new thread (witha poll?) to discuss what his thread should be called... Wouldn't want this thread to get off topic, would we?
Old 26-03-2012, 05:16   #57
Armchair Bucketeer

At the risk of getting back on track ......

.....this thread chimes in with Atoll's comments about starting off with the right boat (for you - not for "me" nor for uncle Tom Cobbley ):-

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...eas-73045.html

Obviously a boat that requires work does require some form of optimist!....but the trick is not to bite off more than "You" can chew (skills, finance and timewise) - and that answer differs from person to person.

Leaving aside any other work that may be required (or simply wanted), the savings from Atoll's approach to the kaput engine vs buying in a "proffessional" with all new replacements has pretty much paid to outfit the boat for sea / cruising (if one is willing to forego such "neccessities" as a walk in fridge and a jacuzzi etc ).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 05:24   #58
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
WOW, Congrats to DOJ for being brave enough to start the shoestring sailor / Cruising on $500 per month thread...again.
Not brave, I just like tempting fate .

Besides, this thread is not intended to be the same as the original, no siree .

Quote:
A small 40 years young sailboat in good condition, no car. Yes I do ALL my own boat work too. Really required at $500 a month.. No fancy electronics, just two depth sounders and a leadline. I shop for clothing at the better goodwills (used clothing store). No prepackaged meals. No medical insurance. The most expensive thing on my boat is the cat. Best of all, I'm happily living life to the fullest.

So hey, if some blonde chick can do it, anyone can. How odd that so many people have so much more and are not happy.
What's it like not to exist? ........."just because I can't / don't want to do something it means "You" can't either" .
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 06:58   #59

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Re: Was it ever about $500 . . . REALLY?

One thing for sure is that this is a hot topic as evidenced by the numbers of threads and posts relating to this issue.

Another thing I always felt, was that for every sailor there is sailing, maybe 1/10 or less ever post on the computer.

That means this is REALLY HOT TOPIC.

I wonder if this discussion can be raised to a new level, in a more permanent thread(or it's own forum) with sub-threads for various aspects of this issue? It's obvious that the popularity and numbers of posters are here, but the discussion has gone through so many metamorphuses(sp), that a lot of useful information gets lost way down in the pages.

Another thing. I'm a minimalist, if I could live on $500, I'd do it. If I could live on $400 . . . I'd do it. JUST TO SEE IF I COULD, if for no other reason.

With this in mind, was this thread ever about cruising on $500, or was it a thread about following one's dreams with whatever it is we have . . . the same way we go through life everyday . . . living on what we have.

The popularity of this thread makes me wonder if a person living an on-board minimalistic life, could make a living expousing and lecturing on this type of lifestyle?

ESPECIALLY in the "evil empire", where money is everything and happiness is expected to be a derivative of money . . . always . . . money.

There's so much to be said for a simple lifestyle that transcends a discussion about making it on any set amount of money . . . be it $300, $500, $1000, or even more. This discussion was always about dreaming.
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-03-2012, 07:14   #60

Boat: Ohlson 38

I'm a failure at shoestring sailing!

I began this boat adventure intending to save tons of money by doing my own work but it hasn't turned out to be practical.

What I didn't count on was the sheer volume and wide range of skills needed for a refit so even though I study my ass off, the lack of actual experience with fiberglassing etc has forced me to have much of the work professionally done.

I intend to begin working my way from the Chesapeake to the Caribbean this fall/winter and there just isn't enough time to acquire all the skills I need. The best I could do is to become proficient at identifying what skills I don't possess.

I don't know how you guys are able to do so much work, requiring such diverse skills.

I expect that this spring and summer I will have outsourced about 20k of work on a 23k boat! (including sails)
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget