Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 09-11-2012, 05:12   #421

Boat: non now
Re: Shoestring Sailors (Cruising on $500 per month - part II)

i have the opposite problem.i live in a small village in bcs.a house on the beach.i love it here.however i can't take the summer heat.i'm planning on heading north,probably the pacific nw.buying a sailboat and learning how to sail it. i used to live in la paz.very easy living.it's gotten to be too large for me now.but you can get just about anything.walmart,home depot,west marine,soriana and many small mexican stores.$500/month shoudn't be difficult but don't plan on any degree of luxury.

Old 10-11-2012, 11:27   #422
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakuflames View Post
Well FINE. Just ... FINE.

See if I let you buy my incredible left-handed finnegan widget when I'm done with it!!!!!
I was kind of kiding but you do have to ask around, I missed quit a few myself.
Do you really have a left-handed finnegan widget? and is it the one with the schoodle finchen de-heimen, if so it's got to be worth mega bucks.

Old 11-11-2012, 15:20   #423

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the cheapest part is probably going to break in short order--so i search fro non cheap stuff at low prices. works out well... the best swap meets are found, not read about. is important to know where htese are and when and get there before daylight for best deals, like the 496 ft of 3/4 inch 3 strand nylon line i bought for 25 dollars a few yrs on back--my anchor rode for ericson --lol..and other goodis--brass anchor lamp for 20 dollars--i love it--fresnel lens and oil burning. many good deals if you have your eyes open.

Well since I get most of my flea market leads from a free magazine I guess I'm already ahead of the game.

The Two things you have to do at a flea market are:

1. Barter- If it has 10 dollars marked on it start at 3 not 5 and work up.

2. Be willing to walk away: No one ever got rich in Vegas standing at the craps table. You've got to be willing to walk away when ahead and Walk away if they won't Barter.
Old 11-11-2012, 15:50   #424

Boat: planning a approx 45ft cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doodles View Post
I appreciate all sailing literature and can always find something I didn't know ... even in glossy powerboat and " yacht" magazines. Besides, the cheapest isn't always he best buy ... time and use decide that.

Wise words. just a matter of sorting the wheat from the chaff.
Old 11-11-2012, 16:00   #425
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
That is always the challenge / conundrum - on some things paying more now (for better) you do get the benefits of longevity........if you pay less have to accept that over the medium / long term the choice will cost more.

Of course the choice is easy to make when you only have the cash for the latter option right now............
I quite agree but will allways try to get the quality item if at all possible.
Old 17-11-2012, 05:54   #426

Location: Morlaix Brittany France blog: theguerns.blogspot.com
Boat: Colvic Watson/32ft/Feels Good
Send a message via Skype™ to feelsgood

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Now, (somewhat more) seriously:

1. The shoe-string mind: a person will drag behind their former life-style.

2. The shoe-string boat: a quality one.

3. The shoe-string route: the narrow blue line between free anchorages and cheap supermarkets.

4. The shoe-string budget: (cold sweat down my spin;-) - a couple can sail a rtw on the budget of 7k a year (per couple). Boat value 20k - ready to go. Met people sailing and/or pottering for much less. Sailing IS inexpensive, cruising may or may not be.

Actual know-how:

Cooking onboard. Doing 90% of the maintenance and repairs in-house or in exchange towards other shoestringers. Not breaking things. No mobiles. Anchorages. Supermarkets. No kids.

Support from countless good people met along the route: PRICELESS.

Cheers,
b.
Totaly agree my wife and I have been living the life for the past 11 years living on my government pension. Our budget is 7k a year and we live a great life have many many great friends and are healthy happy and still in love after spending 24/7 together for the past 22 years. If you want something enough you have to be prepaired to go for it no matter what
Old 01-01-2013, 22:48   #427

Boat: Thompson T24

Hi Folks
What a great subject.. people do get stressed! ive joined CF just because of this thread.
I have spent more time preparing boats and always had a good reason to wait a season or two...... there be change on the wind !
Old 19-01-2013, 14:35   #428

Boat: Balboa 27

The cheapest MAY not always be the best, but in my experience the most expensive is NEVER the best.
Old 19-01-2013, 17:05   #429

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by susswein View Post
The cheapest MAY not always be the best, but in my experience the most expensive is NEVER the best.
I would never say NEVER, but then again I don't have a lot of experience with the most expensive. :-)
Old 20-01-2013, 11:44   #430
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by susswein View Post
I find sometimes that the cheapest can do what you need, but whenever I can I go for the quality item, not nessicarily the most expensive.
Old 27-01-2013, 02:04   #431

Boat: CT-41

Love this thread! As a getting-ready-to-cruise (yes, on a shoestring), sailor, many of your posts are good inspiration. Thank you lots, particularly David_Old_Jersey, sailorchic34 , atoll, and you others who post practical tips (good jokes count too).

I am fortunate enough, after selling everything I own, to be able to spend a reasonable amount on a refit of my newly acquired CT-41, to get electronics, have skills to do probably 90% of my own work, already have solar panels, and tools... but once out there the $500 per month figure seems just about right. Can't stay in the good 'ol US for that and not willing to spend the rest of my life working to pay the predators, so all the tips from you who have been out there doing it are most appreciated.

How about some ideas on working from your boat? If you don't have a retirement or trust fund, too honest to steal, and too arrogant to accept welfare, we gotta come up with that $500 from somewhere! We all have a home, skills, and a community of similar minded souls, so how do some of you make your living from your boat?
Old 27-01-2013, 02:28   #432

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35; Nordica 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vino the Dog View Post
Love this thread! As a getting-ready-to-cruise (yes, on a shoestring), sailor, many of your posts are good inspiration. Thank you lots, particularly David_Old_Jersey, sailorchic34 , atoll, and you others who post practical tips (good jokes count too).

I am fortunate enough, after selling everything I own, to be able to spend a reasonable amount on a refit of my newly acquired CT-41, to get electronics, have skills to do probably 90% of my own work, already have solar panels, and tools... but once out there the $500 per month figure seems just about right. Can't stay in the good 'ol US for that and not willing to spend the rest of my life working to pay the predators, so all the tips from you who have been out there doing it are most appreciated.

How about some ideas on working from your boat? If you don't have a retirement or trust fund, too honest to steal, and too arrogant to accept welfare, we gotta come up with that $500 from somewhere! We all have a home, skills, and a community of similar minded souls, so how do some of you make your living from your boat?
Welcome to CF Dog. Do a quick search and you'll find at least a couple thread devoted to working from your boat.
Old 27-01-2013, 02:44   #433

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:

a good little earner!,on salamandra we have capacity to carry 4000 liters of diesel fuel,filling the tanks in egypt @ 20cents a liter and reselling in turkey @ $1.20 a liter pays for the suez canal transit,3-4 months of cruising and saved quite a few friends some money who would otherwise be paying $1.60 a liter

venezuela was even better in the days of 8cent a liter fuel
Old 27-01-2013, 02:53   #434

Boat: Able 50

4000 litres ! Gollygosh ! I thought my 1000 litre capacity was big.
Old 27-01-2013, 03:26   #435
Armchair Bucketeer

I can't claim the credit for the thread idea (it's Part II - the original got locked for some reason , link in post no.1 of this thread)......just seemed worthwhile continuing.

Quote:
A few threads specific to this subject around.

This is the current one:-

What is Everyone Doing?

The "jumbo" thread is here (coming up for it's 3rd year!):-

Make Money While Cruising - List

David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
budget

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: