Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2011, 16:11   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 "Happy Days"
Send a message via Yahoo to capngeo Send a message via Skype™ to capngeo
Re: Ship's Log

Oddly enough the predominate use of black ink came about with the advent of photocopy machines. Early ones could not recognize blue! (Gawd, the quirky facts that rumble around in my head)

I only keep a log on long passages when there are single watchstanders. With a 15 minute log entry that has position, course, speed as a minimum, it would be a lot easier to reconstruct a MOB search if the watchstander went missing. Before the flames start.... YES we do tether on single watches, but do-do occurs, no?

Normal day-to-day or multiple person on deck times, I don't bother logging, and FWIW, I write logs in pencil, as they write while wet, and don't run either!
Old 23-08-2011, 04:20   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by ardoin View Post
Pencil is forever.... Ink can be bleached, but the graphite in pencil gets into the fiber and stays for ever. But the average guy may not see the erasure... a forensic investigator will see the layers of writing in pencil but won't see the ink that is bleached.

Most official documents are to be done in "black" ink.
I don't know the legalities of the original question but write something on a piece of paper in ink and in pencil and pour some water on it, which one can you still read? did you answer pencil..ding ding we have a winner
bandaidmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 05:46   #18

Boat: Island Packet 31 (35'), Black Squirrel
For the OP: it may not be a legal issue at all. Logs help to mitigate liability. More often they are required by the owner or insurer than the country.

As we seem to be rehashing some older ground as well...
Any log can be disputed, pencil, ink or crayon. The goal is to show a consistent behavior - "X" inspected each year, "Y" checked at start of ever trip, each watch checks... etc. Inconsistent logs raise suspicion. But inconsistent beats none every day.

Basic rules of auditing apply. Think of an engine compartment. If you look at one you can tell what type of care has been done.
- ink is better than pencil (or crayon)., Ink is considered to have more precedence than the others. However, a pencil can be acceptable if no erasure occurs ANYWHERE in the log.
- date, time and initials of individual making the entry
- If you make an entry for someone else, post as "at request of" and put your initials there.
- leave a page or pages in back for initial to name conversion and never duplicate. Two JS? JS and JS1 or JAS and JRS.
- bound is best. Consider the page could have been used for a grocery list or said "captain drunk again". Someone will count the pages and note missing ones. Again - it looks bad. Also, it does not need to be an expensive one. A $10 bound one is fine, as long as it is easy to write in.
- never ever ever erase or obliterate. A single line crossed out, & initialed is best. (and use the same pen/pencil/crayon)
- if you skip a page by mistake, a single cross line upper left to lower right, initialed as skipped is fine.
- you can restate an unclear entry on a later page with a margin reference on the original

I like the waterproof pages (Rebel Heart pointed them out above), but they are so new the law is catching up. Electronic is very easy and from a legal standpoint very bad, I have yet to see an electronic log that is certified for audit. It may exist and if someone knows of one please speak up..

Finally a log is not a confessional or therapy. Buy a journal if you want those.

Kefaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 06:24   #19

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35

Agree with the pencil idea, it does not dissolve. I keep a log book, although not on any schedule unless I think there is a reason. Regular entries used to be handy for keeping track of barometer readings but I have a little digital weather device that actually graphs barometer and has an alarm function for steep gradients.
Things I include are dep./arr. times, destination to/from, sea conditions and weather, unusual events, who's on board, fueling, where anchored/tied up, and anything else that comes to mind that I might forget or want to know later for future trips. After jotting down departure time, I do the actual log next time I get a chance to sit and write down what I think was important. I always take notes on paper printed charts while underway which can then be transposed to a log later. I keep these and have referred back to them often. The info. allows me to calc. engine hours (no meter) and other nav. data that has come in handy lots of times.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 06:42   #20

I like the Sailing Logbook app. Be nice if it had operator designated blanks as well.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 10:31   #21
Marine Service Provider

What do you mean with Operator designated blanks?
Cheers
Robert
robert_vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 20:18   #22

Boat: 1972 Contest 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
OK, ok. It would of been nice to know you meant in a high risk commercial work!

Yes! Absolutely in pen!! I think the only ones who use pencil work at BP!

Mark I didn't tell you about BP you figured it out all by yourself.
Old 24-08-2011, 04:20   #23

Robert, just fields that we could name oruselves and fill in stuff useful only to our own boat.
Hannah on 'Rita T' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 14:51   #24
Marine Service Provider

@Hannah: ok, got you. Maybe something interesting. We think about it .... Thank you!
robert_vie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 14:58   #25
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Ship's Log

Commercial Vessels... Yes
For the likes of us... only for the pedantic....

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote