Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2019, 15:07   #1

Boat: Hydro-Force Marine Pro 11'
Shark Sightings

Hey guys does anyone ever see sharks while you are boating? if so where? How big and how close in?

I had a close encounter on the beach last year with a shark that was beaching itself it lunged at me but did not make contact. pics to prove.

ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 16:25   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480
Re: Shark Sightings

I don't think they are ever to far away, I see quite a few anywhere from in the impact zone along the beach to out well away from the beach. In many years I have only seen a couple of dangerous sharks and never threatened. Still I have a lot of respect for them :-)

My theory is we don't smell like food and are too big for most. I think the attacks probably come either by mistake, thinking we are something else from below working on visual clues not scent or a shark that is desperate, old, injured, food supply run out, pregnant....

The amount of shark attacks that are single bites, then let the bleeding injured person swim to shore when they would be easy pickings make me think, they think, I didn't order that.

Old 13-06-2019, 16:44   #3

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Our wheelhouse being up high let's us see more than most.
There are definitely a few "residents" in and around popular anchorages and swimming spots around our part of the world.
Simi 60 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 18:11   #4

Boat: Hydro-Force Marine Pro 11'

This is the one that got me at Coney Island, its a sand tiger...when afraid its better to go ahead and take the bull by the horns, or in this case the tail

ShipOfFools is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 18:29   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Shark Sightings

Once in a blue moon you may see one following the boat, I have no idea why.
I've dove with many, and the Bulls especially seem to stay right at that distance where your not sure you see them or not. My wife commented on that, I hadn't noticed until she did.
Of course I worry about the Bulls, but the only one that made repeated runs at me was a Hammer Head, which I didn't think was one to worry about.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 18:39   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

I'm a long way from your area but used to see lots on the surface ( say 20-40 in 15 miles) in summer 30 years ago. Hardly any now (Saw maybe 4 in +2mths), not sure why as hammerheads were the most common & they are not a commercial species locally. However they may roam far or migrate so then would be coming across longlines or maybe bycatch for purse seiners.
Sadly it's the same for most species
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 18:41   #7

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Out on our side here we see the occasional blue shark and basking shark, or even a hammerhead may wander up when the water warms up, offshore. But the one that rose up to check us out last summer as we were motoring along, and my son was dangling his feet over the side, really got our attention... big dorsal fin slid along the port side and I looked over expecting to see a hammerhead... nope, big gray body and blunt head... looked like about 10 feet... most likely a Great White but it slipped away pretty fast. Ever since my son has been obsessed with everything shark.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2019, 18:49   #8

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 16:50   #9

Boat: Currently Looking at Lagoons

I see sharks flying my drone. Most people don't even notice they are swimming right next to a shark.

Check out a video
https://youtu.be/OF5-ALqoj50
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-07-02 at 6.48.02 PM.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	195206  
4K Beaches is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 16:55   #10

in the Bahamas the water is so clear you can see sharks everyday from a long distance
motion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 07:28   #11

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Traveling to and from Key West we invariably see one or two sharks, usually Black Tips, some quite large. On one return trip a few yars ago, we had a shark "shadow" us for nearly 30 miles from Smiths Shoal north. My (much) better half found it very disconcerting as he/she/it would occasionally circle the boat and then resume station in the shadow under our starboard quarter. He/she/it finally took a hike when a pod of Dolphins showed up (as there seems to be notorious animosity between Dolphins and Sharks).

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:04   #12

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Shark Sightings

Just from reading, back in the day it was very common place for a shark or sharks to follow sailing ships, maybe for the garbage that went overboard or maybe just as they were moving at about the right speed for a shark to keep up.
Iíve looked for this and so far havenít noticed it on our boat, but we arenít feeding a large crew and nothing except a small amount of waste goes overboard either.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:19   #13

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48

We saw hundreds of sharks in the South Pacific, especially in the Tuamotus. Most of them were black tips but there was the occasional bull shark. More recently, when we were visiting the Revillagigedos Islands, off the west coast of Mexico, there was a large population of silky sharks. It didnít stop us from snorkeling several times a day. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0646.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	356.7 KB
ID:	195249

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 08:23   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: research vessel

Sharks are not as aggressive as Hollywood portrays them. Overall, they really do get a bad rap.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:30   #15

When you consider the number of sharks in the water everywhere people swim it's amazing that there are so few attacks. I've recently reread Yves Toumelin's books and he constantly sees sharks of all sizes, many of them following his boat for many miles.

Arthurwg is offline   Reply With Quote