Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2016, 10:52   #1

Boat: classic 30 ft
Sharing initiative

Hello people,

I'm new here and could not find an introduction section so I thought I'd introduce myself in the first post I bring here. I am from the Netherlands and have been sailing (mostly traditional vessels) for most of my life, for fun and professionally. For the past years my wife and I have had a classic racer type with a cutter rig called Cato (hence my nickname). Unfortunately, she has been rather idle for a while now due to me installing a new engine and putting up a new mast and this project getting out of hand . I hope to be sailing again next summer and thought to get active in forums again for some pre-fun and maybe some new ideas.

In this first post of mine, I wanted to bring a great new initiative to your attention. Some friends of mine have been busy with their online boat sharing community Sailum for a while now and I just started helping them out with their newsletters, hence this post.
The idea behind Sailum is simple yet great. If you own a yacht, you are probably content with your sailing area, yet sometimes you might want to broaden your horizon and explore new waters, without sailing your boat half way around the world. With Sailum, this is possible. If you become part of the community, you can swap your boat with other experienced sailors. Boats and owners are reviewed by the community making safe and fun exchanges possible. It's a very cool, not-for-profit sharing initiative.
This community idea that makes low cost sailing holidays around the world possible for yacht owners offers very cool benefits in my opinion, and it's definitely worth a look:

www.sailum.com

Regards, Thomas
Cato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 00:23   #2

Re: Sharing initiative

Hi people,

My post has had quite a few views but no replies. I would be quite curious what people think about this project, it's approach, viability, etc.

Regards, Thomas
Old 22-01-2016, 00:35   #3

Boat: Ohlson 29

Personally, I won't loan my boat to a complete stranger ...
Old 22-01-2016, 01:01   #4

Boat: Hunter ad least 30 ft

Hello Thomas,
I'm also from the Netherlands, your plan sounds like a great plan.
If you not have a boat is it than also possible to let say rent a boat from an owner. Because we have the plan to say for 6 months in the carribean, this year october. The plan now is to buy a sailboat and sell it again after 6 months. Maybe this community could help us also to sell our ready to sail sail boat. We would like to give other people also this dream trip for a fear price. what do you think.
enrico43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 01:21   #5

Your site need more flexibility for smaller screens (my personal opinion). About idea, If you trust a stranger your yacht so it's good idea, but i don't think there is a lot of people want to exchange their yacht.
Rygor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 12:43   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
Personally, I won't loan my boat to a complete stranger ...

That's true, but the idea behind the network is to have people vouch for one another, and you will also be able to lend a boat. But it has to suit you, of course.

Regards, Thomas
Old 22-01-2016, 12:47   #7

Thanks for all the feedback. At first let me say it's not my project, friends of mine are behind this and they do all the hard work. The comment about the accessibility on small screens is a good one, this can be covered in the new version of the site that will air this year.
In response to the renting question, that is not the idea behind this site and I think there are other possibilities for this. Sailum aims to offer boat owners the possibility to cruise other waters. The fact that all those registered are boat owners is one of the basic factors, the members all have boats they love and care for and they know how to handle them, so they'll do the same on the swapped boats.

But thanks again for all the comments, the site is in full development and ideas are very welcome.

Regards, Thomas
Old 22-01-2016, 12:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
the members all have boats they love and care for and they know how to handle them, so they'll do the same on the swapped boats.
The fact that someone owns a boat does not automagically mean they take great care of them -- just look around you in any marina.
And assuming people take care of other people's property asif it were their own isn't something I'd just assume.

If people don't mind handing the keys to their boat to a complete stranger and hope for the best, then the site is great for them. I just doubt that many people would be willing to do that. Could be wrong tho - maybe my trust issues are getting the better of me

Site feedback: I *hate* it when I have to register to view even the most basic information. I understand not showing where boats are docked, contact info etc., but if I was considering a swap, I'd want to be able to see potential matches w/out having to register. Just my $0.02
Old 22-01-2016, 13:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzy Belle View Post
The fact that someone owns a boat does not automagically mean they take great care of them -- just look around you in any marina.
And assuming people take care of other people's property asif it were their own isn't something I'd just assume.

If people don't mind handing the keys to their boat to a complete stranger and hope for the best, then the site is great for them. I just doubt that many people would be willing to do that. Could be wrong tho - maybe my trust issues are getting the better of me

Site feedback: I *hate* it when I have to register to view even the most basic information. I understand not showing where boats are docked, contact info etc., but if I was considering a swap, I'd want to be able to see potential matches w/out having to register. Just my $0.02
Hi Lizybelle, and thanks again for your remarks. You're obviously right on the ownership/caring issue, but the whole idea is that the community offers feedback and you get reviews about the experience. This is intended to keep out bad seeds of course. It's also possible to arrange extra insurance needed through Sailum I think.
The comment about not being able to see the full site when not registered is heard more often and will probably be adjusted in the new version later this year.
What I think this site attempts is to work towards a real sharing system, letting people use, or "rent" each others property if you will, without money changing hands.

Regards, Thomas
Old 22-01-2016, 13:15   #10
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Sharing initiative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato View Post
Thanks for all the feedback. At first let me say it's not my project, friends of mine are behind this and they do all the hard work. The comment about the accessibility on small screens is a good one, this can be covered in the new version of the site that will air this year.
In response to the renting question, that is not the idea behind this site and I think there are other possibilities for this. Sailum aims to offer boat owners the possibility to cruise other waters. The fact that all those registered are boat owners is one of the basic factors, the members all have boats they love and care for and they know how to handle them, so they'll do the same on the swapped boats.

But thanks again for all the comments, the site is in full development and ideas are very welcome.

Regards, Thomas
So.. you are talking something like a Home Swap thing.. someone in Florida owns a boat but wants to cruise elsewhere.. joins your site and finds someone in say the UK wants to cruise Florida so you boat swap for a period..??
If the boats okay..
PS; You earn with an annual Membership fee for the site.. non-members can see whats available but have to join to do the deal..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' still dance to the beat of the drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 13:30   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
PS; You earn with an annual Membership fee for the site.. non-members can see whats available but have to join to do the deal.
No, free to join as far as I could see and understand.

Now - since your boat is for sale, how about lending it to me for an extended sea trail?
You can stay on my boat (and take care of the cat ). Oh, and maybe find that one leak that's driving me nuts? Thanksverymuch

Old 22-01-2016, 13:41   #12

Quote:
No, free to join as far as I could see and understand.
From their page:

"We will charge a small fee for a membership that allows you unlimited swapping. No hidden fees.
Sailum is currently in start-up mode and until we have grown much bigger we will offer our first members
to swap their boats at no costs at all, that means for free!"

Carsten
CarstenWL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2016, 13:48   #13

Oops, I didn't see that, just quickly scanned over the page and saw it was free (a little further down the page) for now.

Trying to find how much the fee is now, but for a "no hidden fees" website, they've hidden that fee pretty well

Also noticed this: "Members’ IDs and sailing experience are verified" - wonder how they're going to verify those? Cato, do you have any more info on that?
Old 22-01-2016, 15:45   #14
vjm

Just speculation but I have a feeling insurance companies will not be thrilled with this. Have you guys actually sat down with a lawyer and discussed liability issues? My questions are about whether marine insurance companies will consider this commercial activity ( seems probable) and if they do does that vitiate their responsibility in case of a claim (also seems probable)?

I can't imagine coming home and finding your boat impounded because some ass caused a massive diesel spill and insurance won't cover.

Interesting idea, but "I guess you can get insurance through them" is worrisome.

Also, I have seen this identical post on several forums. Have they considered taking out ads? It would probably play better than soliciting business through forum posts.
vjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2016, 00:19   #15

Hello People,

Thanks for all your replies and questions. The one about the height of the fee is interesting, I'm not sure about that and will ask about it. Since it is a not-for-profit venture, I can imagine that they will try to keep the fee as low as possible with covering their costs.

Boatman61 hits the nail on the head with his comparison, it is indeed a bit like home swapping for people who want to go to places they normally don't go to. I get your skepticism on the risk and liability issues, that is obviously a very important thing, and a boat is a different thing from a house. The point is, the guys who are setting up the platform have a dream of boat sharing which they really want to make happen. The site itself has a few glitches, that's why a beta version is upcoming. Yet as far as risks etc. go, professionally these people are into risk management and I believe they have done a good job of covering their bases, because the questions you are asking are obviously the first to come to mind for any boat owner.

Regards, Thomas