Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-02-2017, 11:38   #1

sewing machine?

What kind or brand of sewing machine works well with canvas or sailcloth?
senja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 12:34   #2

Boat: Bristol 29.9
Re: sewing machine?

We have a Sailrite LSZ-1 and love it. I'm working on cockpit cushions at the moment, but I began with tote bags and moved up to winch covers before starting on the cushions. I've also used it to make minor repairs on our sails and mainsail cover, and it didn't blink. Good luck.
Old 07-02-2017, 13:31   #3

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: sewing machine?

Hi senja,

I used a Pfaff 130 for about 55 yrs. Now I have a Sail Rite LSZ-1. We have, on CF, one "senor mechanico", who knows heaps about sewing machines. He says, and I believe it, that any of the old machines from the 50's that were all metal inside will do a reasonable job on canvas. For sail repair, a machine with a walking foot will do the trick, and I found it helped on my boom bag project last year.

Imo, the LSZ-1 is a fairly crude machine, I don't like the stitch length adjustment on it, and the throat is really small for large projects. It does have a walking foot, and that is a desirable feature. Most likely any industrial machine will work for you, if you have somewhere to set it up. My own sewing is done in the saloon of my boat.

SailRite, as a company, are supportive, even if you're the 2nd owner of one of their machines, as am I. They are not the most cost effective.

Incidentally, if what you are sewing is for outside use, learn to use the ptfe thread, it will last the life of the object, rather than having to re-stitch after 4 - 5 yrs.

There's a recent thread from a CF member who has set up a wonderful sewing place in his shed in the PNW. Maybe you can find it by a Google CF Search, if you're interested. In fact, yours is a question that has come up often here, and there are probably a dozen threads with answers to be found. Happy searching.

Ann

Tags
sewing machine