Join CruisersForum Today

Old 12-04-2016, 21:33   #16

Location: Liveaboard cruiser. Home port Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Boat: Lagoon 400
Re: Sewing Machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ErikFinn View Post
Thank you tuskie.

Do you remember any of the names of those other brand names please?
Try searching for Consew CP146R, or similar models from Tuffsew or Yamata.
Was or still is sold in Australia as "Strongarm" with a 240v motor.

Happy sewing.

Old 13-04-2016, 03:40   #17

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430

Thank you tuskie.
Erik

Old 13-04-2016, 04:08   #18

Boat: Custom Marples 40 FC

Us too Sailrite Ultrafeed.
Old 13-04-2016, 13:13   #19

I agree that the Sailrite is a great machine but you can do same/better and save lots o' money going with a older vintage sewing machine from the 50's-70's. Pfaff 130, Necchi Ultra or BU series, Janome NewHome 532 are just a few that have both strait stitch and zig zag. The Necchi and Janome also have a walking foot. These machines will sew through almost anything you throw at them and you can easily find for less than $200. We chose the Janome NewHome 532 ultimately because of the size. It is super compact and can easily be stowed away under the settee. We have had it go through 3 layers of sunbrella awning and isinglass making a new bimini without even flinching.
Old 13-04-2016, 17:48   #20
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

I am a complete neophyte with sewing and machines. My wife has sewn some and has a little used Husqvarna and isn't really an expert. So I was looking for a good affordable machine and many suggested the Pffaf 130 and others. When I started checking them out on Ebay, craigslist, google searches and the like I finally had to admit I really didn't know enough to get comfortable with buying an older used machine. I think I might if I had previous experience (or not). The lack of support, parts, and good documentation gave me pause. And I knew that I would not be able to evaluate the condition and usefulness of a used machine if it were right in front of me let alone a remote machine.

So I just bought a Sailrite LSZ Ultrafeed and not used in anger yet. It is sitting right in front of me. In a year or two I may decide that it wasn't that big a deal but right now I know that this was the right way to go. I know I can get parts, it is under warranty, there is lots of support, etc. It was expensive. I paid a lot for piece of mind. I am happy I did so. And I am looking forward to making a new sail cover soon. But first I have to learn how to use the darn thing.

Good luck in your choice. This was how I did it, right or wrong.
Old 13-04-2016, 18:07   #21
CHM
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

Pfaff 150!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 13-04-2016, 18:31   #22

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

I've used one like this NEW-TECH Portable Walking Foot Long Arm Zig Zag & straight sewing Machine 110 V, for years, about 500 bucks cheaper than a Sailrite, and 2" more throat clearance.
Made Sunbrella covers for the boat bimini, hotrod roadster, patched sails and lots of other things. They're cheap, so if they aren't what you want, you're not out a fortune.
Old 13-04-2016, 18:32   #23

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwr View Post
looking to buy a sewing machine for canvas work... any suggestions
We purchased a new toyota heavy duty machine. Couldn't justify the extra cost and lack of features on the sailrite.

I can't recall any posts where sailrite owners weren't happy witheir machine.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 13-04-2016, 18:54   #24

Boat: 32 Endeavour

If you bought a sewing machine from say, Wal-mart. What would happen if you tried to sew a bimini or dodger?

Would the machine not penetrate the fabric? Or the motor burn up at some point?

Sorry for the noob questions but , I'm a noob.
Old 13-04-2016, 19:15   #25

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknast View Post
If you bought a sewing machine from say, Wal-mart. What would happen if you tried to sew a bimini or dodger?

Would the machine not penetrate the fabric? Or the motor burn up at some point?

Sorry for the noob questions but , I'm a noob.
A typical home machine can do around 4 layers of sunbrella. After that, not enough power.

The feed dogs don't feed well enough for heavy fabric so you're always really mashing the fabric through the machine.

And, since they all have been made as horribly cheap as possible, you'll strip gears, knock the timing out, etc... Basically you ruin the machine.

BTDT, have the new cockpit cushions that killed my wife's 2nd machine. Killed the 1st machine (an old singer with metal gears) with the interior cushions and dodger repairs. (Wife gave me permission to kill the machines)

The one feature I really really want is a good walking foot. That keeps me away from a Pfaff 130 or machines like that. And heck, the local ones are not going cheap anyway - there was a coupla of $500 Phaff 130's on craigslist the other day.

So my next machine will be a sailrite LZ1 (or maybe a clone). Last sailrite I saw on craigslist was $700 for a LS1. Looks like they hold their value good enough.
Old 30-04-2016, 05:45   #26
jwr
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Seal View Post
I've used one like this NEW-TECH Portable Walking Foot Long Arm Zig Zag & straight sewing Machine 110 V, for years, about 500 bucks cheaper than a Sailrite, and 2" more throat clearance.
Made Sunbrella covers for the boat bimini, hotrod roadster, patched sails and lots of other things. They're cheap, so if they aren't what you want, you're not out a fortune.
Is this machine portable or do you have to put in a sew table
Old 01-05-2016, 07:25   #27

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5

I just went through this whole process and did all kinds of research. Which machines were made in the US, which were made in Canada, England or Japan. I finally bought what was referred to as the Cadillac of sewing machines, a 1958 Singer 401A Red Badge Slant O Matic. Totally made in the USA in North Carolina, all solid gear drive. This thing is nuts. No way could I justify a grand for a sewing machine. I found a few of these on e-bay. A couple looked beat up, but then one came on from some lady in Fla. Orginal owner, so I didn't even mess around, I just paid the asking of $245.00 instead of risking losing it at auction. It does Zig Zag, all kinds of built in stiches, and extra bobbins for other fancy stiches I'll probably never use. Anyway, it arrives Fed Ex last week, and it looks brand new lol. The lady had the original owners manual, the singer oil tube, the original parts box, etc. You turn is upside down, and all solid cast and steel. Since its going to rain all day here in Long Island, I decided today is break this baby out and learn how to sew day lol. There are a few more of these for sale on E-bay. After getting mine, I would say for 250 you would be crazy not to get one of these, its the real deal. I looked at the Sail Rites too, but $800 was just way to much with these other options available. Grab one of these if you can.
Old 02-05-2016, 10:06   #28

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

If you're going to go chonking through canvas or Sunbrella with 20ga needles and V-92 thread, you'll need at least one of the Chinese walking foot machines (like Sailrite) with the double walking foot, anything less and you'll just make a mess and tear your hair out. They're cast iron monsters, all metal, and the newer ones have a double belt reduction drive. Most don't have a case, so you'll have to deal with that.
Old 02-05-2016, 12:41   #29
jwr
Marine Service Provider

after all the research and what everyone has said I am going to settle with a sailrite LSZ basic... with no case
Old 08-05-2016, 09:31   #30

Well, that post ended that discussion....kev

Tags
sewing machine

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: