Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-06-2018, 05:31   #1
cruiser

Serious Gun Question for EU Med

I have a serious gun question regarding bringing a Mossberg Mariner 12 gauge shotgun aboard on our planned Atlantic crossing next month over to the Mediterranean. This thread isn't about safety, risk of crime, whether or not I should have one or be allowed to have a gun, so.... please save the cyberspace if you plan to vent or ask me why I feel the need to have one, we've never had a problem with crime or fear of crime anywhere in the Med over the past 6 years.

I'd like to hear specifically from folks who live in and know the gun laws for Italy, Spain, Portugal, Croatia and Greece about rules regulating the possession of a shotgun (and ammo) in their country as the laws would pertain to those folks (like us) who would arrive with a shotgun via boat. What would need to be done to properly secure a weapon onboard, and what would need to be done to declare upon entry. I already know that hunting weapons like a 12 gauge shotgun are allowed in these countries, but I need advice as to whether or not having one aboard would be worth the trouble.

Thanks and please spare me and others the anti-gun lectures.

Cheers

Ken
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	57D855B9-080A-484F-A5B5-380132A48A52.jpg
Views:	435
Size:	401.8 KB
ID:	171615  
Kenomac is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2018, 05:59   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Serious Gun Question for EU Med

Noonsite maybe?
I know as a US Soldier in Germany I had my weapons, but transporting them was I believe a different animal, where you were taking it and why etc was difficult. Each weapon was registered and had a plastic card with all its particulars like a credit card, card always accompanied the weapons.
The rules are interesting, there was an AR15 for sale cheap in the Hanau rod and gun club, it was legal in Germany to have I guess cause you bought it there, but it was not coming to the US.
Now all this was 20 years ago, and I’m sure due to the Status of Forces Agreement the rules for servicemen were easier.

I’m afraid your going to find out that it’s just not worth it, I bet it can be done, but there is a ream of paperwork, officials that aren’t here today, can’t be found, come back tomorrow etc.

However if you find a way, some may find it interesting to hear what you had to go through.
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2018, 06:03   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I have made this a “hot topic” because it has to do with a firearm.
Do not get into philosophical discussions about them, their uses or society’s role etc.
ONLY respond as to your knowledge about the rules on importation, what is necessary, possible consequences of possession etc.

Please let’s try to leave emotions out of this.
Being a hot topic, it will be closely monitored.
a64pilot is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2018, 06:25   #4

I think it would be a real hassle, up to the point of not actually being possible to do it legally.

Gun laws in each of the countries you list is different in each one. All are restrictive, some are very restrictive. For example Greece has 3 round maximum magazine capacity on shotguns.

I don't know enough say for certain it can't be done, but there is no 'EU wide' gun ownership or transportation policy. Local laws apply and your mossberg will surely fall foul of the majority of them.

I'd leave it at home if I were you.
Kristoff21 is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2018, 06:42   #5

Boat: Leopard 39

The gun laws of no nation are set to protect the rights of cruisers to defend themselves. We are aliens in their lands, and their gun laws are designed to control insurgencies against their rule. Their criminals will have firearms to use against you (criminals do things like that); but if you have your own (declared or undeclared) firearms and defend yourself, you will be prosecuted according to their laws and spend a part of the rest of your life in their prisons. That's just the way it is. Right and wrong have no place in this equation. Foreign nations are more interested in enforcing their own laws and avoiding bad press (for predation in their water$) than they are in protecting you or your efforts to defend yourself. IMHO, leave the guns home; if you bring them, be aware that the defense of your life is less important to host nations than enforcement of their laws where foreigners are concerned.
danielamartindm is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2018, 07:14   #6

Boat: building TW28, bateau.com

Just don't. Take books instead.
Liburnian is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2018, 07:23   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
I have a serious gun question regarding bringing a Mossberg Mariner 12 gauge shotgun aboard on our planned Atlantic crossing next month over to the Mediterranean. This thread isn't about safety, risk of crime, whether or not I should have one or be allowed to have a gun, so.... please save the cyberspace if you plan to vent or ask me why I feel the need to have one, we've never had a problem with crime or fear of crime anywhere in the Med over the past 6 years.

I'd like to hear specifically from folks who live in and know the gun laws for Italy, Spain, Portugal, Croatia and Greece about rules regulating the possession of a shotgun (and ammo) in their country as the laws would pertain to those folks (like us) who would arrive with a shotgun via boat. What would need to be done to properly secure a weapon onboard, and what would need to be done to declare upon entry. I already know that hunting weapons like a 12 gauge shotgun are allowed in these countries, but I need advice as to whether or not having one aboard would be worth the trouble.

Cheers

Ken
i have declared my fire arms in gib,malta and cyprus,all of which locked them up for the duration of the stay,a few times i left them in cyprus whilst cruising turkey and greece.

other times i did not declare them,as we had a port clearance all the way from cyprus to gib and never bothered checking in ,nor needed to under eu rules.
atoll is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2018, 07:49   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

This is from a few years ago now, but I was on a superyacht thru those locations which had both a 30-06 and a shotgun (and ammo for both) in (locked steel) gun safe's on board (the guns and ammo each in a separate safe). They were declared, and often the safe's were 'sealed'; but we were allowed to have them on board everywhere we went.

This was a large, commercially registered vessel with a professional crew; and idk but they may well have been treated differently under different rules than a private pleasure vessel.
estarzinger is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2018, 08:10   #9

Boat: Union cutter 33

Why don’t u just carry a spear gun and a can of bear spray
rosatte is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2018, 08:17   #10
cruiser

“Serious question” implies I’m looking for a “sincere” answer.

Thanks to those who’ve offered up answers based on experience traveling through the Med.
Kenomac is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2018, 08:19   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Don't think bears have been a problem in Europe for about 2000 years
Pete7 is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2018, 08:24   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by estarzinger View Post
(the guns and ammo each in a separate safe).
This is an ironic approach to 'safety'. In an attempt to keep the guns and ammo 'safe', they force you to create an internal safety issue. Best practices typically dictate that ammo not be stored in a safe. In the event of a fire, should the contents detonate, it creates a chain reaction with the other ammo. The detonation of the ammo creates massive amounts of pressure within the safe, effectively creating a bomb.

I recognize and respect the fear of having unsecured ammunition as well. However, it creates a bit of a paradox.
Shrew is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2018, 08:27   #13

Boat: Robinhood -- 36

I hope you get some serious and factual answers, I’ll be following for current information. Thanks for posting the question.
Miker1944 is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2018, 08:53   #14

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Cheers

Ken
I wish you well getting anything but rhetoric.
Cadence is offline   Reply
Old 13-06-2018, 09:00   #15

Boat: 1984 Cal 31

On a slightly different note, you may want to reconsider the use of a pistol-grip buttstock setup with a Mossberg shotgun, given that the safety is on top of the rear of the receiver, and fairly inaccessible when using the pistol grip.

Mossbergs are great, but are much more functional with a regular stock that has the thumb naturally positioned next to the safety selector.

As much as I enjoy firearms in the US, I would really question how much of the potential hassle and aggravation of moving them around in Europe/Med I'd be willing to live with. There are other interesting and practical options for self-defense. Then again, maybe it won't be that big a deal.

A follow-up on your experiences, port-by-port could be very enlightening.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply
Closed Thread