Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-02-2010, 11:27   #1

Boat: Tom Gilmer designed "Blue Moon"
Send a message via AIM to UnlikelyVoyager
Self-Hoisting Up the Mast...

I'd like to be able to get to the top of my fairly short mast (about 25' from deck), without having to depend on a grinder. I'm going to do a 1500 mile single handed trip up the coast, and I'd like to be able to get up to the top by myself, if necessary.

I've heard that if you rig a 6-part block and tackle to the top of the mast (hoisting up one end with a halyard), that you can pull yourself up in a bosun chair.

Although I understand the theory (the 6 part B&T should allow me to hoist my 180 lbs up the mast by pulling down with a 30 lb pull), it sounds too good to be true.

Anyone have personal experience with this type of rig?

- John

Check out my blog: UnlikelyBoatBuilder.com
UnlikelyVoyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 11:41   #2
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
sure it works but it takes a lot of line .. i saw a guy do it at my marina.
Old 17-02-2010, 11:42   #3

Boat: Belliure Endurance 35
Send a message via Yahoo to DaveC
Next time you're out sailing in a brisk breeze and have to haul in your main sheet, first try to bring the boom in by hand at the same place it attaches to the sheet. Then do it with your sheet. Providing your sheet is on a 4-block tackle you'll begin to see.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 11:56   #4

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
personally i wouldnt waste the time to setup a block and tackle. i climb up my mast all the time just using my climbing harness and a couple of climbing slings setup one as a prussic line on the main harlyard. another as a safety prussic on the spinaker halyard. works great easily setup
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 11:58   #5

how to tie a prussik knot

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
personally i wouldnt waste the time to setup a block and tackle. i climb up my mast all the time just using my climbing harness and a couple of climbing slings setup one as a prussic line on the main harlyard. another as a safety prussic on the spinaker halyard. works great easily setup

How to Make a Prusik Knot
Old 17-02-2010, 12:02   #6

Boat: Herreshoff 45 Second Star
While a block and tackle may work, you would need about 140' of line at 6:1. You would also have some friction losses so the pull would likely be 35lbs or more. Personally, I think I'd be pretty tired after pulling 135' of line with a 35lb pull. Then there needs to be a very secure way to cleat the line when you reach the top.

Have you considered one of the mast climbing systems where you use your legs? I use a mitchell rope walking system to climb my 60 foot mast which requires about the same effort as climbing a ladder. There's also the frog system like "Top-Climber".

Regards, Carl
2ndstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 12:31   #7

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
I have used a 6 to 1 block and tackle to haul myself and about 25 pounds of tool up masts for many years. I weigh about 200 lbs and am over 50 yo.
On a taller mast, I do have to pause once or twice on the way up simply because of how much line I have to haul. For a 25' spar it would be easy.
I would not recommend using anything smaller than 7/16" diameter line because of the grip. It is simple to tie yourself off where the bottom block hooks into your chair.

I've seen people use the top climbers and such. There's nothing wrong with them except that they never seem to be able to carry much with them and they don't seem to allow one the freedom to move around the mast as well as just hanging from a halyard.
Old 17-02-2010, 12:36   #8

Boat: Beneteau First 42
It would be much easier to use something like a Top-Climber. Watch the video at ATN Video Library .

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 13:34   #9

If you go the tackle route buy the largest diameter blocks you can stand because of the greatly reduced *running* friction induced into the system. With any system use a halyard pulled bar tight to the deck to hold your harness or chair near the mast.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 14:12   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I have used a 6 to 1 block and tackle to haul myself and about 25 pounds of tool up masts for many years. I weigh about 200 lbs and am over 50 yo.
On a taller mast, I do have to pause once or twice on the way up simply because of how much line I have to haul. For a 25' spar it would be easy.
I would not recommend using anything smaller than 7/16" diameter line because of the grip. It is simple to tie yourself off where the bottom block hooks into your chair.

I've seen people use the top climbers and such. There's nothing wrong with them except that they never seem to be able to carry much with them and they don't seem to allow one the freedom to move around the mast as well as just hanging from a halyard.
Great. And thanks for the tip on the size of the line. Do you do anything to prevent a fall in case the hauling line slips out of your hands?

Old 17-02-2010, 14:16   #11

ive never had any problems carrying tools rope etc up the mast with me. just load up my haul bag and clip it to my harness.
Old 17-02-2010, 14:20   #12

Boat: Nor Sea 27'
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlikelyVoyager View Post
Great. And thanks for the tip on the size of the line. Do you do anything to prevent a fall in case the hauling line slips out of your hands?
I have a safety strap that I encircle the mast with when I get to where I need to work, but that's about it.
I have never had the line slip out of my hand though I have experimented and let go the line. All you have to do is grasp the six parts of the tackle which are right in front of you and you can stop your fall in a heartbeat.
Old 17-02-2010, 14:51   #13

Mast Mates work very well. You hoist it up on your mainsail track, then just climb up like a ladder. Simple and secure...

Flexible, portable mast climbing ladder made of nylon webbing which attaches to any sail tra
I'm On point, On task, On message, and Off drugs. A Streetwise Smart Bomb, Out of rehab and In denial. Over the Top, On the edge, Under the Radar, and In Control. Behind the 8 ball, Ahead of the Curve and I've got a Love Child who sends me Hate mail. - (George Carlin)
Aussiesuede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2010, 15:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelmrc View Post
I was just looking at the prussic knot/rope harness system in "The Riggers Apprentice" (pp 260-261).

That does look like a good, inexpensive system for occasional trips up the mast.

Even better, it doesn't take any storage space, which is in short supply on my 23' yawl.

A climber's harness would be more comfortable than the rope harness... I think I'll make one of those rope harnesses and see how painful it is to be suspended from one.

Thanks for the tip!

-- John

Old 17-02-2010, 15:03   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by knothead View Post
I have a safety strap that I encircle the mast with when I get to where I need to work, but that's about it.
I have never had the line slip out of my hand though I have experimented and let go the line. All you have to do is grasp the six parts of the tackle which are right in front of you and you can stop your fall in a heartbeat.
Ah, I see. That makes sense.

I imagine I'd be holding onto that line with a death grip, anyway, so chance of letting go is pretty slim

Tags
mast