Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: have you taken a formal self defense training class
yes I have taken training 45 65.22%
no I have no formal training 12 17.39%
I think I look into/take a class 2 2.90%
I don't think it is needed and aren't planning to take one 12 17.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2013, 20:58   #121

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Re: self defense - are you trained

My post said nothing about firearms.
It was all about self defense.
Don't make assumptions.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:07   #122

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
I have noticed on many of these discussions that one possible option to a boat boarding at anchor/mooring is to simply run away from the miscreants by jumping over the side when menaced.
Best post in the thread

Most cruisers are pretty good swimmers. We go in for a swim twice a day for much of the year. In addition we a used to diving under the boat etc.

Its hard to swim rapidly with a weapon like a machete, or even a knife, so its likely you could out swim anyone carrying a weapon like this. The greater physical strength, and street fighting skills (compared to average cruser) are largely nullified by the water. No one has any practice fighting in this enviroment.

If the bad guys are firing from the ship you stand a reasonable chance of getting away by swimming underwater for part of the way particuarly at night.

Rape is difficult in the water.

There are tactics like stealing their dingy that they arrived on (or swamping it as has been suggested). I suspect this would catch them by surprise, or at least be a scenario that they had not considered.

The biggest problem would be if there is an extra assailant in the dingy they arrived in. In this case the tactic may not work. Even so swimming under your own boat from side to side would make pursual difficult.

It has the advantage it is entirely a passive approach. If the "assailant" was actually a customs officer you are unlikely to locked up for your actions.

Its nice to see a thread where some of the alternative approaches (to firearms) are discussed.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 02:28   #123
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I don't think as a general line of defence , jumping in the water is a good argument. Doesnt work if menaced down below and/or assumes you can reach an exit.

Furthermore assumes water is warm. Cold water shock could kill or disable you very rapidly.

Trial streams etc could carry you away.

If you are challenged , the mere act of turning to mount the side decks and jump could be misinterpreted and lead to an attack possible aimed at your back or outside your vision. Finding yourself in the water , reliant on keeping yourself afloat ,with an injury is worst then remaining on the boat

In extremis, it might be an option, especially if the opportunity presented itself , so as to be acted upon in relative safety , it could be used . As a " strategy" I don't think it merits.

The vast majority of boardings have simple robbery in mind. The key here is to not directly or inadvertently surprise such people , surprised people react. IF you surprise them , you need to be confident you will win the outcome , Let them take what they want.

Active physical self defence , needs to have a particular mindset and ability because once committed there no going back. In most people such reactions only generally happen when it become apparent that ones life is in danger , and then it's often too late

In my view , either you have a deployable firearm , primarily used to deter ( no one what's to shoot anyone ) And you get the opportunity to retrieve it , load it and use it, or you really only have a passive play , attempting to convince the assailant you are not a threat.

Thankfully most petty criminals do not want contact with property owners , preferring to steal while unchallenged, the rare other types are more difficult to deal with.

The best self defence advice , is simply to not put yourself in a place or position , where such violence is prevalent or where your senses warn you something is wrong. Deploy alerting equipment if you can , as forewarning is the greatest advantage , use passive defensive systems , like good locks , physical barriers to entry etc. do not " flash the cash"

All this will get you through 99% of places the other 1% ,sail somewhere else. After all its a boat.

Dave
Old 03-11-2013, 07:44   #124

In all of the formal training I have received, and I have received a lot over the years, one thing was emphasized over and over again. And, that was, to imagine and foresee possible self defense situations, at every opportunity, and formulate a plan, and a back plan, and a backup plan to the backup plan.

Because, when you do get hit with a self defense situation, it will usually happen at blinding speed, and you won't have time to be formulating a good plan or plans when it occurs.

This is good advice for boating in general (and life in general).

And, hoping nothing happens, is a wish, not a plan.
Old 03-11-2013, 09:20   #125

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Why belittle people that don't think like you. You stated your views leave it at that. There's no " hero" in being dead

Dave
Better check on who belittled who. Try reading up a little more on previous posts. As johnmcntsh posted after my first post:
"And here we go down the gun thread road again. Lets see what non cruising poster has the most guns"
Violence is just that Violence. The more violent survive and win. I've survived 67 years including Vietnam and other life and death situations. I'm just trying to get people to understand no matter where you are and at any time you can be placed into a fight or flee, life or death situation and unfortunately it will become worse. I have PTSD from previous traumatic events. It is a curse and a blessing. The brain is physically altered by PTSD. Not to aggression but to survival. If I can get you thinking about this subject and that Violence is the only way to counter violence in the act, then I have contributed to your survival and I will accept whatever bashing comes with it.