Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: have you taken a formal self defense training class
yes I have taken training 45 65.22%
no I have no formal training 12 17.39%
I think I look into/take a class 2 2.90%
I don't think it is needed and aren't planning to take one 12 17.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-10-2013, 14:56   #91

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: self defense - are you trained

Quote:
Originally Posted by evm1024 View Post
The other thought is "200 blows a minute"........
Yea, I can just see the typical 60 year old cruiser putting out at that rate against a couple of young punk 19 years olds. Not good odds.
Old 20-10-2013, 15:07   #92

Boat: 22' Westerly Nomad

Just have a motion sensor that triggers the loud banjo music!

Old 20-10-2013, 18:13   #93

Personlly, I have taken a variety of classes when I was younger and had some military training.

Although you can certainly benefit from the physical skills (kicking, hitting etc) I think the real benefits are the mental skills and familiarity with your body and a potentially hostile situation. Knowing what it feels like to be punched or kicked (even at less than full force) and having experienced a stressful situation (in a controlled environment) will not make you safe but they will help you stay calm.

I am a firm believer that keeping your head is one of the best self defense skills to learn...
Andy73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 18:38   #94

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Keep a cool head and carry a sharp knife! I carry a knife at all times except for air planes! Im old, but Im good with a knife, and had training with one way back in my armed dervices days and in Nam for 4 yrs. The only way I would ever use it is if my lady was in real danger! Then somebodys gonna bleed ! Them or me ! If it's just a robbery im gonna give em what they want ! There has to be different responses to different situations ! Just my 2 cents
Old 21-10-2013, 03:42   #95

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobconnie View Post
Keep a cool head and carry a sharp knife! I carry a knife at all times except for air planes! Im old, but Im good with a knife, and had training with one way back in my armed dervices days and in Nam for 4 yrs. The only way I would ever use it is if my lady was in real danger! Then somebodys gonna bleed ! Them or me ! If it's just a robbery im gonna give em what they want ! There has to be different responses to different situations ! Just my 2 cents
So what if you are being mugged by 2 or 3 women? The world is changing so fast. I still work on a military base and some of these young ladies are serious about what they do. Also, younger female triathletes are beating older male triathletes every event.............checkout WWE Champ Rhonda Rousey punching the crap outta someone.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wwe+...ey%3B340%3B234

https://www.google.com/search?q=wwe+...et%3B650%3B440

She (they) even has the looks to lull you into a compromising position then start punching!!

http://www.rondamma.com/index.html
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 04:28   #96

Boat: Bristol 27

oops, too late to delete my post above. I read his post to say a lady instead of his lady...............

but still, our ladies are changing these days. If someone's lady is similar to Rhonda, she may not need a lot of help.

https://www.google.com/search?q=wwe+...ey%3B340%3B234
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2013, 05:56   #97

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcntsh View Post
Great place to hunt!!
I was running one night up there, and had a herd of deer cross the road right in front of me. Close as I ever came to having a heart attack!
Old 21-10-2013, 23:56   #98

Boat: custom 42' catamaran

"Kickboxing is useless in the typical yacht cockpit or cabin area where space and flat area for a spread stance is minimal." ==> What I liked about the Muay Thai was the elbow and knee strikes which can be used in close quarters. I learned the roundhouse kick in Shoto Kan, Tai Kwan Do, Kempo, and San Soo Kung ** as well - a long range technique but targeted at the knee, possibly viable. It sounds like the original quote assumed that everyone has a mono, much more room on a cat (perhaps to wield a boathook - especially for thrusting). At 68 I don't think so much in terms of hand to hand anymore. I carry a throw down wallet in the right rear pocket where one is expected - next to a steel collapsible baton (just to have an option). Other items which might be carried unobtrusively are a sturdy cane, 2-3 feet of welded chain with a small padlock on each end and/or a folding lock blade knife. Further, I spent thirty years in a hobby where we fought full force/full contact with simulated medieval weapons in both individual and group combat (see www[dot]SCA[dot]org) stopping in my early sixties when I came to the Philippines. I also like my SureFire Defender 70 lumen yawara stick as well and have recently been considering a high power laser pointer (Arctic makes a rugged one that outputs a 2 watt beam for 30 minutes that can light stuff up at 55 km). These things seem like possible self defense items for those not extensively trained or older and not in peak condition any more. Even a group of assailants is going to be much less of a threat if they can't see well. This should be a non-lethal option and allow one to escape. A whole new meaning to the phrase ' light em up'.
Bruce626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2013, 00:44   #99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

You were a police officer, and I understand your background, but have you ever personally faced a one on one robbery threat alone or with your spouse while unarmed? My wife and I have twice, and I can tell you it didn't happen the way you describe... although I realize it can. One on two (of us), each robber was most likely expecting my wife and I to submit and just hand over the cash like 99% of his other victims. What they didn't expect, was my wife going ballistic and the two of us attacking, chasing and capturing them for the police. Today, one is in prison and no longer a threat to anyone.

My point is: Since you'll never know what your natural reaction will be in this sort of situation, it's best to be prepared. The OP Sailorboy has the right idea. Obtain the training, then he'll be ready. The police were no help at all to either of us in those two situations.
You hv your point. But make sure they are inexperience robber.
Gpolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:35   #100

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 37

All the self defense experts make me laugh. As a 67 yr. old un-assigned Marine with 2 100% disabilities I say throw all the booty you have towards them and in my case walk as fast as you can away. If on your boat you have lethal defense capabilities than asses the situation and if possible blow them away. A titanium Judge loaded with the nastiest self defense ammo you can get is a great equalizer for salt water environments. Have surveillance systems to warn of intruders and keep it (gun) with you close as you sleep.
If caught on land and wind up in a win or die fight, ripping off your opponents testicles guarantees the outcome.
Also don't be afraid of death if you really want to enjoy the seafaring life. It's all an adventure.
Old 01-11-2013, 21:05   #101

The 'Judge' was not rated very well by Gun Test magazine in independent testing (gunreports[dot]com) - and in most of the world, foreigners are not allowed to carry firearms.

I have noticed on many of these discussions that one possible option to a boat boarding at anchor/mooring is to simply run away from the miscreants by jumping over the side when menaced.

It would seem like this idea has some merit as most boat people are typically good swimmers, and where I am in the tropics, the water is warm enough to not complicate the issue with hypothermia. Something I have noticed about my catamaran and it likely applies to most boats is that it is really difficult to see an object that is next to the hull because of the curvature, so if the miscreant wants to maintain a visual on you they will have to lean out over the side. It seems like this would provide an opportunity to bring them into the water with you if you felt that this would improve your tactical situation - especially if you used a handy gaff to reach up and accomplish this (most of us likely have a sturdy and sharp gaff on the boat which could be reached from the water). Such an action may well take the miscreant by surprise causing them to drop any weapon - in any event, the sudden fall from the deck into the water is likely to cause momentary disorientation - especially if this is happening at night. One might note that since you are likely out of reach in the water from someone on the deck with a machete, this does pose the risk of bringing the miscreant closer.

Being in the water also provides other options - especially on a catamaran where a shallow dive puts you under the bridge deck where you mostly can't be seen at all. Another option is to move to the small wooden boat in which the miscreant(s) likely arrived - assuming that they wanted to make a silent approach and plan to depart with some of your stuff they need to carry. In my area these are small narrow double ended plywood boats with outriggers and only a couple inches of freeboard - relatively easy to swamp by depressing one end. Swamping their getaway boat means that they will likely have to abandon their boat and swim away - with a lot less of your stuff. If they abandon the boat, there are two further possibilities - first, it was stolen and the owner will appreciate its return; or, it was their boat and you now have a link to the miscreant as everyone will know who's boat it is.

If you had triggered lights and alarms before jumping in the water, it is likely that they will be looking around for a way to flee your boat; and when they do, you can return on board and notify the authorities - if any can be reached. Has anyone else considered such a contingency plan?
Old 02-11-2013, 05:28   #102
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post
The 'Judge' was not rated very well by Gun Test magazine in independent testing (gunreports[dot]com) - and in most of the world, foreigners are not allowed to carry firearms.
Well that's nonsense for a start. Most " foreigners" see absolutely no need to carry firearms, which is different from being prohibited. For example it's not difficult for Europeans to carry firearms on board , however you would be regarded as " mad in the head" if you did ( or some sort of wannabe cowboy )

Dave
Old 02-11-2013, 06:02   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Well that's nonsense for a start. Most " foreigners" see absolutely no need to carry firearms, which is different from being prohibited. For example it's not difficult for Europeans to carry firearms on board , however you would be regarded as " mad in the head" if you did ( or some sort of wannabe cowboy ) Dave
Once again an apparent failure to comprehend - it is irrelevant that foreigners in a country might want or not want to carry a firearm - in this case a revolver that shoots .410 shot shells. Foreigners are not likely to be allowed to carry such a weapon in most countries. Many of these people cannot carry such a weapon even in their own country - two that come to mind are the UK and Australia. Europeans might be able to carry such a weapon in their own countries (which I doubt) - but I find it unlikely in the extreme that they would be allowed to carry such a weapon legally in Asia, Africa, South America, Central America, or Russia - i.e. most of the world. I know for a fact that where I am in the Philippines, Europeans are not allowed to have firearms, just like other non-citizens here. I find it odd that you always want to focus on guns, usually negatively, whenever the subject comes up. If you can't find something constructive to say, a more civilized position might be to refrain from these provocative gun comments which often contaminate these self defense discussions (not that I expect you to listen).
Old 02-11-2013, 06:10   #104

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Ah, once again we decend it to yet another gun thread (YAGT)...on a non gun related topic.

Which of you guys have ever actually used a firearm for self defense aboard a cruising boat?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 06:13   #105
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce626 View Post

Once again an apparent failure to comprehend - it is irrelevant that foreigners in a country might want or not want to carry a firearm - in this case a revolver that shoots .410 shot shells. Foreigners are not likely to be allowed to carry such a weapon in most countries. Many of these people cannot carry such a weapon even in their own country - two that come to mind are the UK and Australia. Europeans might be able to carry such a weapon in their own countries (which I doubt) - but I find it unlikely in the extreme that they would be allowed to carry such a weapon legally in Asia, Africa, South America, Central America, or Russia - i.e. most of the world. I know for a fact that where I am in the Philippines, Europeans are not allowed to have firearms, just like other non-citizens here. I find it odd that you always want to focus on guns, usually negatively, whenever the subject comes up. If you can't find something constructive to say, a more civilized position might be to refrain from these provocative gun comments which often contaminate these self defense discussions (not that I expect you to listen).
It is you , who miss the point. Handguns can be problematic in certain countries that's true. But virtually anyone can license a pump , if they wanted to. And in my mind a pump shotgun is an excellent firearm aboard.

Look it's simple

(A) do you really need a firearm aboard , really .

(B) if your answer to that is yes , then you have to be aware of issues and prohibitions that apply on clearing in and departing countries with firearms onboard. ( for international travel)

(C) if you are happy with the hassle of (B) go sailing with a firearm. A small percentage of international cruisers do.

The vast majority decide against them for a whole variety of reasons

Any other debate , is either pro or anti advocacy

I have not made any pro or anti advocacy arguments on gun threads , merely pointed out the hassle issues , and as a multiple firearm owner , the practical issues of untrained and scared people on boats with firearms.

It you feel all these arguments are outweighed then by all means take a firearm onboard. I will argue its a ineffective and hassle ridden issue , but that's a different debate

Dave