Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: have you taken a formal self defense training class
yes I have taken training 45 65.22%
no I have no formal training 12 17.39%
I think I look into/take a class 2 2.90%
I don't think it is needed and aren't planning to take one 12 17.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2013, 09:52   #76

Boat: Skookum 53'
Re: self defense - are you trained

Again the best weapon at your disposal is the one between your ears, (while some might have a blunt instrument). I found when I quit going into bars, I didn't have any more fights. I have worked and lived in some pretty ugly areas, and situational awareness is your best friend. I eat a lot of raw garlic, so I can beat most men with my breath. I also advocate the soiling of ones self in response to a threat. I always hide in the brown cloud that surrounds me when ever a shark is near when I am diving.
Old 19-10-2013, 23:02   #77

Boat: Nantucket 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Im a regular Hoce Gracie myself lol,to hell with kicking and punching,Im going to choke someone out if they attack me ...Chocked out and Tie um up into a small package,beats the hell out of getting hit over and over...
You must have skimmed my scenario, just because there is an initial strike in this it is followed by controlling your opponent and taking him down making sure he's not getting up in a fast manner. I'm a massive believer in chokes but while you try to jump in straight to a choke without any distraction or softening then you've increased your risk. Yes sometimes a strong push pull strike to turn them around to choke but choking usually comes later. I'd also say it takes me longer to choke someone down then to tear them down break and elbow or arm crush some ribs and concuss them. Each real situation must be evaluated before act because once you start you better be able to finish. Sometimes the fastest thing may be to strike and crush the windpipe to await the next assailant. At any rate what I'm hearing over and over here is all good advice. In that its the right advice for that person. He k you may live or die based on your own decision, In a lot of cases talking giving acting your way out is better. But if your cornered and fear for your life, have the required skills and trained to the point they are like walking then I would try and defend myself. Having someone board my vessel with women and children on board in the middle of the night with a machete tells me this person is not rational likely not sane probably desperate scared or psychotic etc and some say trust this person to do the right thing if you fully comply? Well you'll have to decide for yourself when you are actually in the situation yourself. But having a plan such as sums of money to give is a fantastic idea but I would never bet my life that that's the only plan I need and that somewhere during the corse of events I may have to revert to violence. Being submissive and compliant as long as it does not put you in situation where you are at their mercy is a great tactic because there is a chance they are going to relax their thinking of you slightly.
Now further in fighting I too agree forget a lot of kick and strike techniques. But they are fundamental especially if you are trained how to close the distance getting a foot strike then perhaps a throat strike as you come in etc a well targeted femoral or bladder strike can finish the fight right there. If you miss it does not matter because you are coming in low and high closing the gap at incredible speed you are rushing in and if he gets a strike in hopefully it will not connect well. You are distracting confusing me surprising your would be attacker until you are in tight and have gained full control of your opponent. At that point I would not slow up by choking my opponent out because this is not a match this is life and death. I am going to ensure that if I start a counter attack the person is not getting up to attack me while I'm dealing with the next one.
In all this I imagine being on the boat perhaps down below and an assailant jumps through the companion way etc. I'm not thinking outnumbered by a gang in a dark alley. I also believe their will be accomplices nearby and coming next.
mischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 04:00   #78

Boat: Bristol 27

Looks like wrestler guy, knife guy, and karate guy are all expecting a nice fair fight from bad guy. Get real.

This is what bad guy does, and the last time he did it wasn't when he was in high school. It will happen when you least expect it. He will probably have several in his group and you may only be attacked by 2 or 3 while the others take a break or watch for law enforcement.

It's like going to class for a certain job then you get out there and try actually doing that job and realize you are no where near as good at it as the folks that have been doing it for years.

Then, checkout you average sailor at your dock. Most cannot even reboard their boat after swimming by simply doing a pull up using the upper stern railing.

You better use your head in every situation.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 05:05   #79

Boat: Bristol 27

And furthermore, ever seen a pack of wolves hunt. They rarely go after the Alpha Male of the pack or strongest female, they usually try an isolate a weaker member of the herd that may have strayed away from the main body.

As was mentioned earlier, that ain't hard to find among the cruising crowd. Why go after karate guy that may be in good shape " that doesn't want to fight" (ha ha) when they can isolate a victim and score some quick cash.

Bad guy isn't about ego and "I'll kick your ass!" He's about making money during his work day.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 07:42   #80
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by mischief View Post
You must have skimmed my scenario, just because there is an initial strike in this it is followed by controlling your opponent and taking him down making sure he's not getting up in a fast manner. I'm a massive believer in chokes but while you try to jump in straight to a choke without any distraction or softening then you've increased your risk. Yes sometimes a strong push pull strike to turn them around to choke but choking usually comes later. I'd also say it takes me longer to choke someone down then to tear them down break and elbow or arm crush some ribs and concuss them. Each real situation must be evaluated before act because once you start you better be able to finish. Sometimes the fastest thing may be to strike and crush the windpipe to await the next assailant. At any rate what I'm hearing over and over here is all good advice. In that its the right advice for that person. He k you may live or die based on your own decision, In a lot of cases talking giving acting your way out is better. But if your cornered and fear for your life, have the required skills and trained to the point they are like walking then I would try and defend myself. Having someone board my vessel with women and children on board in the middle of the night with a machete tells me this person is not rational likely not sane probably desperate scared or psychotic etc and some say trust this person to do the right thing if you fully comply? Well you'll have to decide for yourself when you are actually in the situation yourself. But having a plan such as sums of money to give is a fantastic idea but I would never bet my life that that's the only plan I need and that somewhere during the corse of events I may have to revert to violence. Being submissive and compliant as long as it does not put you in situation where you are at their mercy is a great tactic because there is a chance they are going to relax their thinking of you slightly.
Now further in fighting I too agree forget a lot of kick and strike techniques. But they are fundamental especially if you are trained how to close the distance getting a foot strike then perhaps a throat strike as you come in etc a well targeted femoral or bladder strike can finish the fight right there. If you miss it does not matter because you are coming in low and high closing the gap at incredible speed you are rushing in and if he gets a strike in hopefully it will not connect well. You are distracting confusing me surprising your would be attacker until you are in tight and have gained full control of your opponent. At that point I would not slow up by choking my opponent out because this is not a match this is life and death. I am going to ensure that if I start a counter attack the person is not getting up to attack me while I'm dealing with the next one.
In all this I imagine being on the boat perhaps down below and an assailant jumps through the companion way etc. I'm not thinking outnumbered by a gang in a dark alley. I also believe their will be accomplices nearby and coming next.
Sounds like you know what to do,giveum hell...or giveum some money,if that dont work, giveum some more hell..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 09:06   #81

Funny story, I was in Law Enforcement and was required to go to a base in Va. to learn advanced hand to hand, including weapon assault.
One exercise required us to disarm an assailant who had a pistol, very similar to the video posted previously in this thread. I did well and enjoyed it.
The next year we were required to go back and refresh our training. I shot myself 9 times (hypothetically of course) and on the 10th try shot my partner. I got it right on the 11th try but I would have been dead nine times already so it really did not count.

Next step was the grab roll and kick, (most of the jiu jitsu experts will be familiar with this) Ended up flat on my back with the perp on my chest laughing and me groaning in pain

My instructor was kind, but did mention that unless I was willing to practice these moves ( 42 in all) twice a week every week I should NEVER!!!! try to use them.

I do not see a lot of cruisers, (certainly not me) training for 8 hours a week in a harbor that has a self defense instructor to make sure you are doing it correctly.

It is dangerous to teach people self defense if they are not going to practice it religiously. You might get them killed!
johnmcntsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 09:27   #82

When I'm threatened, I just start talking about climate change and they scream and run away.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 09:32   #83

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post

Acting as a doormat and pacifist is also an excellent way to get yourself killed.
Verifiably not true in Guatemala where I live, and the rest of Central America too. It invariably ends badly for those who resist here. Those who dont are typically left unharmed (very little pointless violence here like in the USA). If you are going to physically challenge a group, and they always work in groups, of Guatemalan bad boys you better have absolutely overwhelming force on your side....not just delusions of being Bruce Lee.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 09:57   #84
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Verifiably not true in Guatemala where I live, and the rest of Central America too. It invariably ends badly for those who resist here. Those who dont are typically left unharmed (very little pointless violence here like in the USA). If you are going to physically challenge a group, and they always work in groups, of Guatemalan bad boys you better have absolutely overwhelming force on your side....not just delusions of being Bruce Lee.
Gangsters? the best defense is to run..
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 10:06   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcntsh View Post
Funny story, I was in Law Enforcement and was required to go to a base in Va. to learn advanced hand to hand, including weapon assault.
One exercise required us to disarm an assailant who had a pistol, very similar to the video posted previously in this thread. I did well and enjoyed it.
The next year we were required to go back and refresh our training. I shot myself 9 times (hypothetically of course) and on the 10th try shot my partner. I got it right on the 11th try but I would have been dead nine times already so it really did not count.

Next step was the grab roll and kick, (most of the jiu jitsu experts will be familiar with this) Ended up flat on my back with the perp on my chest laughing and me groaning in pain

My instructor was kind, but did mention that unless I was willing to practice these moves ( 42 in all) twice a week every week I should NEVER!!!! try to use them.

I do not see a lot of cruisers, (certainly not me) training for 8 hours a week in a harbor that has a self defense instructor to make sure you are doing it correctly.

It is dangerous to teach people self defense if they are not going to practice it religiously. You might get them killed!
NAC, BA or the farm?
Old 20-10-2013, 10:09   #86

The farm, but did not work for them
Old 20-10-2013, 10:12   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmcntsh View Post
The farm
I knew it had to be one or more of them. I spent a lot of my life in that area, doing the same thing.
Old 20-10-2013, 10:22   #88

Great place to hunt!!
Old 20-10-2013, 10:55   #89
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Gulfstar 50

Once in a former life - yes formal training.

Advice to cruisers? Twofold - Talk to you local police. Somewhere nearby is the martial arts guy/gal that they go to for training. Dirty/street fighting. Spend a day or 2 there.

The other thought is "200 blows a minute". I recall that this was a centerpiece of KGB training. The idea is to hit your attacker(s) 3 or more time a second. Hands, elbows, feet, knees, sticks, pens, hammers, winch handles, knives - it does not matter. Many small impacts do more damage then one large one. Keeps them for recovering their strength and whits and moves the advantage to your court. Additionally, this places your mental state into a winning one.
evm1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-10-2013, 11:46   #90

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Thou I have training in armed and unarmed marshall arts I don't think it's needed (nor wise to use) in most circumstances.. just turns a threatening situation into a life treatening one.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote