Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: have you taken a formal self defense training class
yes I have taken training 45 65.22%
no I have no formal training 12 17.39%
I think I look into/take a class 2 2.90%
I don't think it is needed and aren't planning to take one 12 17.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2013, 23:15   #61
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: self defense - are you trained

Got to admit I watched it with the sound off and laughed as well. Then turned it on and it was not so funny. It may however have been poetic justice.

Coops.
Old 16-10-2013, 05:05   #62

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
Kicking criminal ass,thats cool!!Kudos for the "Fine Little Lady"..
Also a good way to get yourself killed.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 06:12   #63

Boat: a sailing boat

I am trained. Best advice to anyone (also to the trained) - do nothing unless you are willing to make and take much harm.

In 99% of cases being passive and submissive is the optimum self defense.

In the remaining 1% of cases you will have to flee the scene VERY fast. Unless you want to become a well trained in self defense dweller of some third world country jail.

The other guy may be way less trained, but they are most likely to be way more violent than you.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 06:17   #64
cruiser

Originally Posted by tropicalescape
Kicking criminal ass,thats cool!!Kudos for the "Fine Little Lady"..

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Also a good way to get yourself killed.
Acting as a doormat and pacifist is also an excellent way to get yourself killed.

As I said in an earlier post "one never knows how one will act in a robbery situation," so it's best to be prepared and trained. My wife and I didn't know ahead of time that she'd go ballistic and attack the robber... she just did it as her natural reaction when confronted. Both times, the cowards dropped their weapons and ran. One time a knife, the second time a large screwdriver.

During the confusion while being robbed, there's no time to rationally think things through... you just react. It happens in an instant.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 06:26   #65

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Therapy View Post
I'm thinking all those guys are athletes.

Most cruisers are not.
Exactly, there have been several threads on here where folks readily admit they cannot pull themselves back up on their boat when anchored ...........they need a ladder. Now that same person is suppose to take on bad guys?

Also, to you bad guys, remember if there are 6 or more of you to always attack karate guy one at a time like in the movies..........
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 06:30   #66
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
I am trained. Best advice to anyone (also to the trained) - do nothing unless you are willing to make and take much harm.

In 99% of cases being passive and submissive is the optimum self defense.
b.
Not to get political, but I believe there are millions of Jews, who will disagree with you.
Old 16-10-2013, 06:32   #67

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
Not to get political, but I believe there are millions of Jews, who will disagree with you.
Two entirely different situations.
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 06:49   #68

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
I was a very talented wrestler in highschool and shortly thereafter until I quit the sport. So that is my only training.

My best defense is my iron jaw. Holy crap can I take a shot to the head. I've been hit by some very strong, violent people. Then, with my wrestling background, they are close enough for me to grab, take them to the ground and twist into a pretzel. Their toughness drains right out of them when their face is so close to their own butt they can smell it.

I hate violence, it's never been something I resort to, to solve my problems. Only when protecting myself and loved ones. However, I'm reasonably confident in my ability to defend myself in most situations.
Old 16-10-2013, 07:36   #69
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

we were taught to protect self in a shady place when i worked in alexian brothers hospital in east san jose. many rapes of nurses in parking lot, even during daylight hours. since then, my cats have taught me more than those policemen did .....

the best defense is to be offensive.......i can do that
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 08:22   #70
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
the best defense is to be offensive.......i can do that

so many different visions running around in my head on this that I don't know what to do
Old 16-10-2013, 08:45   #71
Marine Service Provider

Boat: command yachtsdouglas32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveslide View Post
I was a very talented wrestler in highschool and shortly thereafter until I quit the sport. So that is my only training.

My best defense is my iron jaw. Holy crap can I take a shot to the head. I've been hit by some very strong, violent people. Then, with my wrestling background, they are close enough for me to grab, take them to the ground and twist into a pretzel. Their toughness drains right out of them when their face is so close to their own butt they can smell it.

I hate violence, it's never been something I resort to, to solve my problems. Only when protecting myself and loved ones. However, I'm reasonably confident in my ability to defend myself in most situations.
Me too...Wrestlers are not to be taken lightly,a good one can cause permanent damage to bodily organs and bone,I think its neat to watch karate guys and gals kicking and what not ,but it cant do much if your target is moving around,you want to get close ,so close that they cant hit and kick with any force and then start "twisting into a pretzel" and if that wont stop them (always will) thats when you start squeezing that goozell,I hate fighting but if I have got to do it "I am going to hurt them real bad so they cant do the same again,to me or anyone else..mean people suck....
tropicalescape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2013, 08:58   #72
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by tropicalescape View Post
I am going to hurt them real bad so they cant do the same again,to me or anyone else..mean people suck....
To me that is want a fight is about! Hurt them so they can not keep hurting you. There isn't any "fair" involved.

I notice that when I watch a MMA fight it almost always ends up down on the mat. I bet a spinning kick is pretty hard to do inside a boat
Old 16-10-2013, 09:15   #73
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
To me that is want a fight is about! Hurt them so they can not keep hurting you. There isn't any "fair" involved.
The right tool used along with the element of surprise in close quarters can be very effective when properly placed into an attacker's chest.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ka bar.png
Views:	190
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	68790  
Old 16-10-2013, 09:24   #74
S/V rubber ducky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
The right tool used along with the element of surprise in close quarters can be very effective when properly placed into an attacker's chest.
well I was thinking more of a finger to an eye, punch to the throat, set of teeth into a neck, bending an elbow backwards, type of thing

I want to hurt and stop them, I don't really want to kill them as that becomes a problem

BTW - is that why you brought that knife with you when you came sailing with me?
Old 16-10-2013, 09:35   #75
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
BTW - is that why you brought that knife with you when you came sailing with me?
No knife then, I don't carry a knife when out and about. I just have them scattered around the boat mostly for rigging malfunctions when a hand, finger or foot becomes tangled, or possibly a prop entanglement issue.

They are in place and can be used if we have a security threat.