Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: have you taken a formal self defense training class
yes I have taken training 45 65.22%
no I have no formal training 12 17.39%
I think I look into/take a class 2 2.90%
I don't think it is needed and aren't planning to take one 12 17.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2013, 09:27   #31
cruiser

Re: self defense - are you trained

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake-Effect View Post

Nobody said anything about leaving your boat open or unlocked. Quite the opposite. It should be well-secured, and it should look well-secured. Deterrence.

99.9% of the CF readers will understand that I was being sarcastic. The other .1%.......
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 09:52   #32

Boat: Bristol 27

If all else fails, use Crane Kick! " No can defend."
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 10:36   #33

Boat: Beneteau First, 345

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrid View Post
I have military training, so I suppose that would count or at least help out in a bar room brawl.

Between this and the previous note, I will say that the best type of self-defense I know of it Military training. Though the standard retort does seem to focus on "martial arts" type training as the most standard response.

My company hired an ex-Navy SEAL to give some self-defense pointers, and I'll say it was absolutely informative and relevant to our situations. He even indicated he recommends that everyone do some kind of martial arts for mind/body fitness, but NOT self defense at a street-thug level.

Just my 2 cents.
Lasata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 10:36   #34
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

I'm surprised by the 75% of poll respondents that have training. But so far I'm the only one considering taking classes before cruising.

I think martial arts though is a waste of time. Most of those are really about getting belts or for movie action stars.
Old 15-10-2013, 11:18   #35

Boat: 1969 Morgan 28, Stiletto 27

For those who wish to fight with armed thugs over money, a can of WD40 and a Bic lighter are worth considering.

It has a certain Pzazzzz, is legal, is difficult to advance into, but afterward you will deal with some really POd people.
Old 15-10-2013, 11:50   #36

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei

As a retired military officer and retired police officer I would say, yes, I'm trained ... including Special Forces, Ranger, SWAT, and EOD (Bomb Disposal). Age, while important, is not necessarily a disqualification. My sensei (also a retired police officer) is 70 years old, but bench presses over 400 lbs and can outfight anyone else I know. But absent a lifetime of exposure to violence I would not advocate trying to fight one's way out unless death was a certain outcome. More than the training, you will lack the situational awareness to prepare for and win a confrontation.

Most likely you will confront multiple opponents and unless you are prepared to use every means available to win, you will lose and probably suffer greatly for it.
Old 15-10-2013, 12:12   #37
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWOA View Post
As a retired military officer and retired police officer I would say, yes, I'm trained ... including Special Forces, Ranger, SWAT, and EOD (Bomb Disposal). Age, while important, is not necessarily a disqualification. My sensei (also a retired police officer) is 70 years old, but bench presses over 400 lbs and can outfight anyone else I know. But absent a lifetime of exposure to violence I would not advocate trying to fight one's way out unless death was a certain outcome. More than the training, you will lack the situational awareness to prepare for and win a confrontation.

Most likely you will confront multiple opponents and unless you are prepared to use every means available to win, you will lose and probably suffer greatly for it.
You were a police officer, and I understand your background, but have you ever personally faced a one on one robbery threat alone or with your spouse while unarmed? My wife and I have twice, and I can tell you it didn't happen the way you describe... although I realize it can. One on two (of us), each robber was most likely expecting my wife and I to submit and just hand over the cash like 99% of his other victims. What they didn't expect, was my wife going ballistic and the two of us attacking, chasing and capturing them for the police. Today, one is in prison and no longer a threat to anyone.

My point is: Since you'll never know what your natural reaction will be in this sort of situation, it's best to be prepared. The OP Sailorboy has the right idea. Obtain the training, then he'll be ready. The police were no help at all to either of us in those two situations.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 12:15   #38

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
+A1... the world is full of keyboard heros...
plus+ 2
Old 15-10-2013, 12:15   #39

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I don't think if she was confronted on the street she would be good to protect herself because her attacker wouldn't be following the "rules"..
If someone was to attack me, you can bet I wouldn't follow any rules either. I'd do my best to take them down by any means necessary.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 12:18   #40

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestathook View Post
For those who wish to fight with armed thugs over money, a can of WD40 and a Bic lighter are worth considering.

It has a certain Pzazzzz, is legal, is difficult to advance into, but afterward you will deal with some really POd people.
Reading this made me wonder - what about darts? You could keep a dartboard on your boat and use them as weapons if needed. With good aim, it could certainly stop an intruder without getting close to them and I would think would be perfectly legal as well?
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 12:54   #41

Boat: catalina 27 & Windrose 20 Hunter 34

I have found that my best defense is to pee down my leg, **** my pants and puke down my front if possible then curl up in a ball and weep uncontrollably.
Tbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 13:47   #42
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbrad View Post
I have found that my best defense is to pee down my leg, **** my pants and puke down my front if possible ...........
I'm read that works well to stop a rapist.

But may have less effect on someone breaking into the boat.
Old 15-10-2013, 14:20   #43

Boat: Hunter Passage 42 - s/v Sensei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenomac View Post
You were a police officer, and I understand your background, but have you ever personally faced a one on one robbery threat alone or with your spouse while unarmed? My wife and I have twice, and I can tell you it didn't happen the way you describe... although I realize it can. One on two (of us), each robber was most likely expecting my wife and I to submit and just hand over the cash like 99% of his other victims. What they didn't expect, was my wife going ballistic and the two of us attacking, chasing and capturing them for the police. Today, one is in prison and no longer a threat to anyone.

My point is: Since you'll never know what your natural reaction will be in this sort of situation, it's best to be prepared. The OP Sailorboy has the right idea. Obtain the training, then he'll be ready. The police were no help at all to either of us in those two situations.
No, I've never been the subject of a robbery; as a retired police officer under LEOSA as long as I qualify annually, I can carry anywhere in the US and its territories ... and I do. That doesn't mean I've haven't been in some scraps. Four against one and sixteen against two come to mind as an example and there are others ... and they lost (because I don't get paid to lose and in the 16 vs. 2 it was in large part thanks to a former marine who had my back as I kicked butt).

As for your comment on my natural reaction you obviously have never run into an Army Ranger ....

I've been shot at, kicked and punched and I've shot people, kicked and punched to win fights ..... During the time I spent in the military and law enforcement the weapons skills I developed extended from the physical to the full nomenclature of firearms and edged weapons. As my sensei (Isshinryu) was often wont to say, "You should be able to step out of the shower with a light coat of sweat, take on the world, and win." He was my defensive tactics instructor at the law enforcement academy and was speaking in the law enforcement context, but I've found it has application in how I greet every day.

I've also found that the alertness and physical ability I project affects the perception of those around me. Perhaps it makes them want to look for easier pickin's ....

Old 15-10-2013, 15:15   #44

Boat: Ohlson 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by UWOA View Post
No, I've never been the subject of a robbery; as a retired police officer under LEOSA as long as I qualify annually, I can carry anywhere in the US and its territories ... and I do. That doesn't mean I've haven't been in some scraps. Four against one and sixteen against two come to mind as an example and there are others ... and they lost (because I don't get paid to lose and in the 16 vs. 2 it was in large part thanks to a former marine who had my back as I kicked butt).

As for your comment on my natural reaction you obviously have never run into an Army Ranger ....

I've been shot at, kicked and punched and I've shot people, kicked and punched to win fights .....

I've also found that the alertness and physical ability I project affects the perception of those around me. Perhaps it makes them want to look for easier pickin's ....

Props to you for your lengthy LEO career and for your exceptional fighting prowess.

Perhaps you could draw on your experience as a law enforcement officer to draw us an accurate portrayal of the typical street thug/robber (excluding drunken brawlers) his/their motives, and typical modus operandi? Could you then give your professional opinion as to the most probable outcome should the typical 60 something non-violent cruiser decide to buck?
virginia boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2013, 15:52   #45
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: self defense - are you trained

These threads always make me smile... we have your typical cruiser in shorts and flip flops fighting off robbers who can walk bare foot on broken glass..
As an example.. in St Martin folk thought it was hilarious that I walk around with jeans and boots... but I'll tell you this.. a boot scraped down someone's shin works a lot better than 'Hang on a minute.. me thongs broken'... you want to be taken seriously... dress the part... don't dress like a prat and an easy mark

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote