Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2018, 06:35   #1

seeking Local knowledge Venice to Clearwater Florida

Howdy!

I'm travelling to Florida to do some sailing at the end of March. I am planning Venice to Clearwater and I have been advised that there is good sheltered anchorage at Egmont Key with the Manatee River as a backup.

I would love any local knowledge anyone can provide.

thanks!

mark
messenbu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 06:42   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: seeking Local knowledge Venice to Clearwater Florida

I would consider Egmont good for day anchorage or settled weather. It would be completely exposed to winds from the north or south but you can anchor on the east or west sides for protection from west or east winds. Also exposed to wakes from any passing boats.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:32   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Retired Delivery Capt
Send a message via Skype™ to Snore

I do charters in the area.

Manatee is good, but can be buggy if it is warm and the wind stops. If you have a gen and AC, be ready to use them.

Egmont is bug free if you anchor off the island, but rolly from the ship traffic.
"Whenever...it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people's hats off- then, I account it high time to get to sea..." Ishmael
Snore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 09:30   #4

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Better alternatives to Egmont Key would be Longboat Pass to the south. Boca Ciega Bay/Gulfport to the north.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:12   #5

Boat: Ericson sloop 28.5

I like Jewfish key near Longboat pass...in front of Mar vista restaurant..Its protected and deep enough. Just be aware that the dropping tide from Sarasota bay can turn you around at anchor. I think if you eat at the rest. they don't mind if you tie up at their dock over night but don't quote me on that, but I have done it. The restaurant is excellent. The St Pete marina is also excellent because down town St Pete is fantastic entertainment...its a little off the beat'n path but worth every penny..$15.00 buoy in front of the Vinoy hotel.
Egmont is ok...but you better be in the leeward side. The water boils on the east side when the tide is dropping. Desoto point is good if you want free anchorage but no facilities.
Infatuation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:19   #6

I charter a lot in Tampa Bay. I have a friend who has anchored off of Egmont and any change in weather you are screwed.. There are plenty of old school marinas North and South of there that are worth visiting to see the town. Bradenton Beach High and Dry - they do have depth for sailboats. Seafood Shack, Gulfport Marina, The anchorage near where Moore's Stone Crab restaturant used to be. South of Longboat Pass... BTW I don't think right now Longboat Pass is passable.
mholtzberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 08:43   #7

Boat: Currently in between

Be aware that if you do choose Egmont there is a sandbar to the south, Between Egmont and Anna Maria, where everyone is Nekkid. You might get retinal burn!
Old 09-03-2018, 08:56   #8

Boat: Bristol 32

I anchor all year near Pine Island.
Captain Parry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 10:40   #9

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Egmont is a day anchorage. And, if anchored to the West(open to the GOM), it can become a death trap in quickly changing weather conditions. The Manatee River is the best choice on either the N or S shore depending on the wind. The N shore has a sand and gravel bottom and you can anchor safely in 8-12 feet off the park with good protection. You'll have a minor shift on the turn of the tide. Good luck and safe sailing. . . Rognvald P.S. One time we anchored on the East side of Egmont fairly close to shore and in over 30 years of sailing, I've never seen so many Bull Sharks feeding and cruising the water. Not my choice to snorkel.
Old 09-03-2018, 12:25   #10

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

I have been in the area for the winter, no boat, but in my kayak a lot. Very good anchorage in the Manatee river, along the north shore. Protected in most everything but west winds. A little further up, as you pass the DeSoto Monument park on the south side, go pass the red marker, don't know the number, turn to the right, and anchoring there will give you good protection except for the fetch coming down the river. Nothing on shore in either location, unless you call for a ride somehow. Above Longboat pass, just south of the Cortez bridge, you can anchor among the mastless sailboats and engineless powerboats, and dinghy into the dinghy dock just south of the Anna Maria Pier. Plenty of places to eat, and if needed, shuttle up the Island to Publix and Ace Hardware. Dinghy dock at the pier isn't there. I would certainly lock the boat and the dinghy. It has been, and is breezy, 10-15, and a bit higher at times, don't think Egmont is the best choice.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 14:27   #11

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

long boat pass was just dredged according to the coastguard i called last week coat guard station Cortez Im going on a trip from Tarpon springs to long boat than Venice than Ft Myers beach !
for me Egmont would be out no sense putting yourself at rick if the wind changes. icw or outside its all clear ! beautiful sail or motor !
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2018, 15:50   #12

A couple weeks ago, we took both our sailboats (my 34' and friends 36' with 5' draft) from the gulf thru Longboat Pass Bridge with no problems. We anchored south of the Cortez bridge on the east side. Had dinner at Annie's, just north of the bridge (also on the east side) and has dinghy dock. Looks run down, but prices are good as is the food. I recommend the grouper and crab cake!!
Dan_K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 11:23   #13

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

Manatee river is very nice and protected there is a state park right on the tip of the Manatee river. See the early indian settlements and how they lived. Something to see. very safe anchorage.. I here there are anchoring balls there now .
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2018, 16:27   #14

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

Quote:
I here there are anchoring balls there now .
Just sailed past here this afternoon, did not see any mooring balls.

To the OP, Desoto Point is a good anchorage, however, if you are heading north it will take about two hours to get up into the river from the Gulf of Mexico. Great place if you have that kind of time.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:23   #15

For Desoto Point you can go ashore on the south side just to east of the giant cross. There's a trail that leads to a parking lot and Uber can pick up there if you need to go into town. I asked the park ranger if its ok to leave the dinghy and they said cool just don't tie it to any trees.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal, florida, water