Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-06-2016, 14:09   #61
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Security Issues - Numbers don't add up

so, you are in ca, then, saying that i , someone out here, not in usa behind a desk, do not LIVE??
mebbe you need to do more research before sniping folks.
there was a bunch of iirelevant spew about guatemala , as well.
hope you have a pic of ocean on your office wall.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 14:16   #62
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

central america has different issues than vene. at present there are no active coups, and folks are eating. borders are not closed and life happens.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 14:17   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
so, you are in ca, then, saying that i , someone out here, not in usa behind a desk, do not LIVE??
mebbe you need to do more research before sniping folks.
there was a bunch of iirelevant spew about guatemala , as well.
hope you have a pic of ocean on your office wall.
If anyone should go back and read the post zeehag it should be you. I NEVER said you don't live. I would have actually said quite the opposite if I was asked. I am not sniping you zeehag and I said Guatemala is marvelous. As the thread evolved I do not see how Guatemala and given conversation was irrelevant.
Waterrat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 14:18   #64

Quote:
central america has different issues than vene. at present there are no active coups, and folks are eating. borders are not closed and life happens.
I totally agree.
Waterrat10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 15:29   #65

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
you read selectively, dont you. try reading ALL the posts.
I read FULLY all the replies in a post that I am contributing to.
Don't! presume you know what I read or pretend you know anything about me because you don't!
List the reply #'s or persons who are advocating travel to Venezuela and those that say Guatemala or any other CA country is presently experiencing similar conditions.
Repeatedly advising us to travel to Vene serves no purpose.

Bob
REsCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 19:35   #66

Boat: 66' Spencer 42' Sloop

Right now in Venezuela people are killing each other for toilet paper and you want to take a yacht there?
Old 04-06-2016, 22:20   #67

Boat: Rhodes Pearson 41 sloop

I lived on Margarita Island for 2 years in the mid 1970's, and it was very stable then under Pres. Carlos Andres Perez. Crime was almost non-existent, prices were very reasonable, and life was good. I became friends with the captain-of-the-port in Porlamar. He would call me to interpret when he had English speaking cruisers checking in. Friends on the island now advised me not to visit anytime soon due to crime and corruption. I knew local fishermen then, and they were barely subsisting then. I can see how they would turn to piracy to get by! I'd like to return, but not anytime soon.
jessehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 22:39   #68

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessehunt View Post
I lived on Margarita Island for 2 years in the mid 1970's, and it was very stable then under Pres. Carlos Andres Perez. Crime was almost non-existent, prices were very reasonable, and life was good. I became friends with the captain-of-the-port in Porlamar. He would call me to interpret when he had English speaking cruisers checking in. Friends on the island now advised me not to visit anytime soon due to crime and corruption. I knew local fishermen then, and they were barely subsisting then. I can see how they would turn to piracy to get by! I'd like to return, but not anytime soon.
I cruised there after you, in the mid-80s. A few weeks after I left a cruiser was murdered after he went to the bank to withdraw money to go pay for a new dinghy. The good old days weren't necessarily all good.
Old 08-06-2016, 05:27   #69

Boat: Lagoon 450

Wow...a lot of heated discussion on Venezuela and other locations. Without a doubt, Venezuela is only available to the bold, not yet old, cruiser. Just read this latest news clipping which indicates the situation in this country will getting worse before it gets better. A wise sailor will keep a very wide berth.

Keys to understanding the political and economic crisis in Venezuela | Caribbean News Now

Question is how far is safe enough? In a few months we'll passage from the Leewards to the ABC's - and many others too. Im now thinking of sailing back up to say Martinique (with a stop a Carrefour ) and then heading across. That would put us 175-200nm off the Venezuela coast. Is it enough? There isn't a right answer but there could be an informed answer. Does anyone have any knowledge of the local boats, abilities, type, worthiness, that can travel that far out for a piracy and return? Apart from the navy themselves of course.
Emerald Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 05:47   #70
CLOD

Boat: none

I think the point of the thread (at the start) is to do you homework before going places and that the reported crime stats are just a piece of the picture.

OTOH - the point of the thread now is just entertaining snipes
Old 08-06-2016, 05:53   #71

Boat: Catalina 30

The Venezuelan Navy and "Coast Guard" are to be feared almost as much as the pirates. From experience, 200 miles is barely enough. As the news article points out, this country is rapidly accelerating into chaos, and there ain't no law, and certainly very little order. I would expect that the US coast guard will have some presence there... but my advice is, where ever you are, head north as fast as you can. This is one instance where being in a well traveled shipping lane might not be a bad thing, as awful as that sounds.
carlheintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:06   #72

Boat: EggHarbor,Sportfish,35

I have a beautiful finca on the border with Brazil on the Guyana Plateau. Would love to visit my place but wouldn't for a second consider flying to Venezuela,especially now. Wait till the crisis is over and then wait a little longer. And yes the authorities are just as bad and they are "legally" armed.
landsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:07   #73
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Cool the bull good people!

I wrote you a small 'haiku' titled "8-5-5, the New Matrix":

For our Zeehag is a coder,
Do not read the lines!
See the whole picture!

;-)

Love,
b.
I could use a translation for that post too.
Old 08-06-2016, 07:51   #74

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMCantor View Post
After spending time on 25+ islands in the Caribbean, we've never been anywhere where we were concerned about security. You should have some basic common sense (lock your dinghy, don't leave valuables on deck at night, lock the boat when you're away), but that applies in any anchorage in the world.

People who are unpleasant or disparaging toward locals run higher risks. Those who treat people with respect have lower risks.

I am certain that many "stolen" dinghys have more to do with happy-hour owners who get confused about running the rabbit around the tree before jumping in the hole.

For a Forum of readers with a mixed audience of experience and skill levels, this is a very dangerous mentality for fledgling cruisers since it assumes that common sense and manners will, by and large, prevent serious crime against the person in known areas of concern. I suggest the author reads the numerous accounts, reported in Noonsite, detailing rapes, robberies, assaults and murders of innocent people who ,in no way, were expectant of the heinous acts/crimes they experienced. Everything we do in life involves risk but to ignore trends in certain cruising areas known for violence and believe "It won't happen to me!" is to disregard personal safety for yourself and your crew. One must truly question their reason for cruising. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 08-06-2016, 11:39   #75

Boat: Beneteau Sense 46
pirate Re: Security Issues - Numbers don't add up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerald Sea View Post
Wow...a lot of heated discussion on Venezuela and other locations. Without a doubt, Venezuela is only available to the bold, not yet old, cruiser. Just read this latest news clipping which indicates the situation in this country will getting worse before it gets better. A wise sailor will keep a very wide berth.

Keys to understanding the political and economic crisis in Venezuela | Caribbean News Now

Question is how far is safe enough? In a few months we'll passage from the Leewards to the ABC's - and many others too. Im now thinking of sailing back up to say Martinique (with a stop a Carrefour ) and then heading across. That would put us 175-200nm off the Venezuela coast. Is it enough? There isn't a right answer but there could be an informed answer. Does anyone have any knowledge of the local boats, abilities, type, worthiness, that can travel that far out for a piracy and return? Apart from the navy themselves of course.
I crossed from the Saints (Guadeloupe) last june(2015) to Bonaire 3 nights 4 days straight shot on course 250 deg had to sail a little at 230 to keep the Genoa full because of the wind angle but corrected just 60 miles short of Bonaire back to 250deg . No problems just a freighter the last night named Aegis Caribbe called on the radio and he skedaddled out of there like he had mad dogs behind him. After that went on a morning run to Curacao 30 odd miles. and spent the Hurricane season there in Seru Bocca Marina nice people.
Ernie on the Mary Jane
sailon46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
security