Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 13-04-2016, 13:20   #16

Boat: Kadey Krogen '42
Re: second opinion on passage weather FL - SC

Originally Posted by tstilp View Post
My first source was my own with a combination of checking passage weather and noaa. I came up with the same prognosis for the most part as yours being that it will be a ruff wet ride but still be safe. The deal is that I am trying to move the boat between Thursday and Sunday with the option of adding Monday to the schedule due to work. If it takes a turn for the worse I dont mind checking into a marina along the way and finishing the move in a few weeks when I get some more time off.
I was in the same situation, trying to do the same thing exactly two years ago, as I had to be in Charleston in 3 days.

Weather started out NE winds at 15, built to 18 to 20, seas built to 8 to 12 ft, finally after 5 hours of total misery, I realized the rate we were going, like 4 knots, it would take 30 hours to get there instead of the 18 I had hoped (or something like that).

The problem was there are no marinas to just pop into. So it was a 4 hour slog back to Florida and we came in at Cape Canaveral inlet, about 1 hour north on the ICW from where we departed that day.

Lessons learned:
Don't travel into headwinds or seas
Have a real plan if you must turn around

I ended up getting as far as Savannah, and I rented a car and drove back and forth 200 miles each day to Charleston for 10 days.
Great pie place on the way, best pecan pie I have ever had.

Richard on M/Y Dauntless, currently Exploring Europe
Dauntlessny is online now   Reply With Quote

passage, weather

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: