Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-03-2014, 18:56   #46

Boat: PETERSON 44
Re: Search for 24-foot sailboat off Hilo Hawaii (Merged)

Did not webb chiles do this very same thing? Boat rig went to tea kettle and he went to Hawaii. Then much later he bought a drascombe and crossed the pacific mostly with the bottom side down. Washed up in a beach. Now he is going again with better gear. Still a small boat. I don't see the attacks against him like others. Never mind his age his sight loss and his acquisition of life saving gear.
Going solo. Anyone like to call webb a poor sea man. Give it a break. The winers are not usually experienced sailors. They are fearful owners that want legislated security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 19:03   #47

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

As of 4 pm today he is still at. this morning he was sailing in great conditions, as of 4pm he is in another big storm. Go Rimas!
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 20:17   #48

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Something to consider...

Last eve I starting re-reading this funny little book entitled: "Cape Horn; The Logical Route" by some Frenchman named Bernard Moitessier. {The English translation.}

In the foreword there's mention of how he'd destroyed his prior two sailboats by running aground through faulty navigation. And right off the bat, in chapter one, he's discussing plans to build a boat out of old newspapers, some pitch, and the odd bits and bobs of lumber.

But then of course back in 1965 there was no internet and no Cruisers Forum to which he could turn for advice. Or for that matter which would tear him apart for his audacity.

Fast forward to today and it's: How DARE this, this Russian try to cross the Pacific in such a little boat as a San Juan 24. And at THIS time of year? What WAS he thinking! The Coast Guard... The EPIRB.... The Life Raft... The this-that-or-the-other...

Strange how times change.

An aside...

For the unaware: Now-a-days Mssr. Moitessier is widely admired for his pre-voyage preparations, his nautical skills, his wide range of sailing experiences, his hints and tips for voyaging that resonate across time, and, really, for his spirited initiative, resourcefulness and "can-do" attitude. If you've not yet read his book(s) then I strongly suggest that you so do.

Okay - he put two boats on the rocks. But he explains how and why that happened and (from that) you'll learn what you should be doing. Because he tells you. And in his successful non-stop voyage around Cape Horn there came a time when he cut loose his drogue system the better to run before hurricane force winds and seas. Would you have the knowledge about your boat to know that is the best option? Would you have the guts to make that decision and irrevocably cut those lines?

Highly recommended reading, is this Mssr. Bernard Moitessier.
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2014, 22:32   #49
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Did not webb chiles do this very same thing? Boat rig went to tea kettle and he went to Hawaii. Then much later he bought a drascombe and crossed the pacific mostly with the bottom side down. Washed up in a beach. Now he is going again with better gear. Still a small boat. I don't see the attacks against him like others. Never mind his age his sight loss and his acquisition of life saving gear.
Going solo. Anyone like to call webb a poor sea man. Give it a break. The winers are not usually experienced sailors. They are fearful owners that want legislated security.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Are you seriously comparing this guy to Chiles? Chile's took every precaution to make sure the Ericson was up to the rigours of the southern ocean - and time would tell that it was not - well he made it in the end, but not before the hull cracked and before that his rig was damaged and started pumping, so he went to -- I think -- Tahiti for repais.
The Ericson was a brand new boat he had specifically built for the voyage, and he has stated in later years that the boat and rig had a design fault - in his particular boat anyway - but of course he did not know this at the time.

The drascombe, also a new boat, hit a log and pitchpoled.

His current boat, a Moore 24, a strongly built boat to start with, has gone through extensive upgrades including a complete new rig.

A hell of difference to some guy going in a flimsily built old boat that he hasn't bothered to beef up both the hull and the rigging. This Ruskie can do what he wants, but don't try compare him to Chiles.

The smallness of the boat is not the issue. If he went in a 50 footer that he had not bothered to up-grade for the task - it would be the same issue.

By the way - Chiles carries no life-raft, and definitely no EPIRB. He will not ever call for help under any circumstances.
What about this guy? Does he "expect" to get rescued if it all goes to pot? I bet he does. Again - huge difference between he and Chiles.
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 06:25   #50
Marine Service Provider

This is getting silly. ... comparing this ill prepared guy to chiles and moitessier and then making we prudent mariners out to be nattering nabobs ofnegativism is silly..and i'm outta here
Paul Annapolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:34   #51

Boat: Sold, alas, because life happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Annapolis View Post
This is getting silly. ... comparing this ill prepared guy to chiles and moitessier and then making we prudent mariners out to be nattering nabobs ofnegativism is silly..and i'm outta here
Sorry - Seems I wasn't clear with my point. Let me try again...

I was not attempting to compare anyone with anyone. What I meant was that if Moitessier tried to do today what he actually did in the early 60's then he'd be slammed by some here on CF. Please note that once he took an old, leaky, clinker of a sailboat and sailed around parts of Asia. The vessel leaked so badly that he'd have to heave-to and go diving to redo some of the patches. But he made it. That ship's sails wouldn't stand CF scrutiny either. And so on.

If this particular guy makes it to the next port then all these threads will drop out of view. But if he calls for help, or sinks somewhere on his own, then the "I knew it" crowd will chime in and the thread(s) will go on for awhile.

And yes, we prudent mariners would certainly take more effort in preparation before setting sail. I guess I'm accepting that many of us march to the beat of a different drum, and I'll try not to let my viewpoint on proper prep keep somebody else's boat tied to the dock. Aw heck.... Nobody listens to me anyway!
svmariane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:53   #52

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

At one time in our lives we were alll new to sailing. Many of us kept sailing because of dreams of great adventure. Some of us have had great adventures. This guy is having his adventure and living his dream and doing it in his own way.

Our opinions of him and his equipment are just opinions and a lot of them are based on experience but still just our opinions. He's not asked for our advice and I don't think he's asked for Coast Guard assistance on this voyage. I'm ok with that and I'm ok with him ignoring advice about leaving Hawaii for the mainland at this time of the year. I'm certain that decision was made at the urging of our local DLNR Boating division who told him he needed to move. When he's finished with his journey he'll have something to write about or tell his grandkids stories about even if he fails if he survives.

Good luck to him.
Old 02-03-2014, 21:09   #53

I want to say something about the lack of any haul-out facility for keel boats in Hilo affecting the decision to leave the harbor , but I think I'll just bite down on a piece of coconut.
Mahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 06:53   #54
Marine Service Provider

Let Him have a good dream and adventure in any way he wants. .. as long as he does not ask for donations or support our assistance when all goes wrong. ... as for the opinion about us all having opinions. .. well. .. that is just his opinIon. ...
Old 03-03-2014, 10:05   #55

Quote:
Let Him have a good dream and adventure in any way he wants. .. as long as he does not ask for donations or support our assistance when all goes wrong. ... as for the opinion about us all having opinions. .. well. .. that is just his opinIon. ...
So the crew of the Bounty didnt deserve to be rescued because they should have known better and not gone?

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 10:46   #56

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahana View Post
I want to say something about the lack of any haul-out facility for keel boats in Hilo affecting the decision to leave the harbor , but I think I'll just bite down on a piece of coconut.
As the Island DLNR Boating Manager, Miss Nancy, said, "Not in my lifetime."

Coconut husk with teriyaki sauce.
Old 03-03-2014, 11:25   #57

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Best of luck to a ballsy sailor.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 03-03-2014, 11:49   #58
Marine Service Provider

He is not "ballsy"....just ill prepared and maybe foolish. ...as for the comparisons with the crew of the bounty. ....I find your statement to be highly illogical... as spock would say. .
Old 03-03-2014, 15:49   #59

[QUOTE=wellin;1482421]So the crew of the Bounty didnt deserve to be rescued because they should have known better and not gone?/QUOTE]

There's a lengthy recent thread on the sinking of the Bounty and the referenced report speaks for itself:

Bounty sinking official report!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The bounty report has been released. Here is the press release

Press Release February 10, 2014

And here is the full 16 page report.
http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2014/MAB1403.pdf

Whatever dots connect to this situation points to captains taking unnecessary risks, perhaps influenced by outside pressure, but ultimately responsible for their decisions.
Mahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 15:50   #60

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415

Quote:
He is not "ballsy"....just ill prepared and maybe foolish. ...as for the comparisons with the crew of the bounty. ....I find your statement to be highly illogical... as spock would say. .

Losing a small vessel and jumping back into ain't for wimps.

I've climbed back on to many a horse that has thrown me and more than a few men that have knocked me down. The sea is much more powerful and I have seen days when she has scared me.

It requires overcoming a bit trepidation. The Russian has cojones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Tags
arc, hawaii, sail, sailboat