Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2014, 09:58   #16

Re: Search for 24-foot sailboat off Hilo Hawaii (Merged)

So he is one of many many people to go that far in a small boat. He made it. He didnt call the coast guard to help him. I say good job. Big boats break apart in heavy seas and sink. A pop bottle makes it as long as the lid stays on.

Sent from my SCH-I415 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
wellin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 10:10   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

The storm that is due to hit California in the next couple of days just passed north of Hawaii. Another less intense storm went through a couple of days before. The waves from the most recent storm are due to hit here tomorrow. Calling for large surf which probably means in excess of 20'. Ocean swells are less but they've had a 1,000 or so miles to subside before they get to the islands.

This guy has experienced some serious weather and so far seems to be surviving. Losing a life raft off a 24' boat in those conditions is no surprise. Boat has probably been playing submarine with the conditions he's experienced. Such conditions have caused much more experienced sailors in much stouter boats to quit and abandon ship. Don't know the condition of his boat and its preparation but the sail has been done countless times in similar boats though probably not at this time of year.

One thing I do question is trying to make the sail in the winter. In typical conditions, he'd be subjected to the passage of 4-6 or even more low pressure systems on the trip. We are not talking little inconveniences but storms that not infrequently produce winds of near hurricane force. If you've watched the 'Deadliest Catch', you know they aren't fun little blows. He's either a little crazy or felt he and his boat were capable of handling the weather. Will leave others to make the determination of his mental state.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 12:49   #18

Boat: 15 foot Canoe

He was at the dock for a few months attempting to gain donated funds. I got to wave at him a couple times while rigging and unrigging our club boats. A bit reclusive but probably nearly as mentally stable as most of us sailors. Marching to a different drummer type.

In my opinion he is one not to welcome nautical advice. This has got to be one of the worst months of the year to get underway for the mainland. February brings the storms noted for dragging boats from their moorings here in Hilo. Northwinds are the worst for us here.
Old 28-02-2014, 13:17   #19
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Roverhi mentioned the storms passing by north of Hawaii.

From the info in the news articles, I'd put him in the area I've colored yellow in the NOAA chart below. A 969 mb Low has just moved from north of him to the northeast of his position, and it looks like he's been in the "crush zone" between that Low and a High northeast of the islands. The surface analysis notes "Storm" near the center of the Low--that's 48 to 55 knots. Seas are probably in the 24-30 ft range.

Not a great spot to be in a 24' boat. Not a great time of year to be out there in anything! Hope he makes it.
Old 28-02-2014, 13:32   #20
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Yeha thats cruncher, but is that a low I see to the west smacking in from 160? - a squash zone between two lows? ETA? Worse
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 13:41   #21

Boat: 1978 Pearson 26 One Design

I found his Facebook page. I guess that yellow thing lashed (sort of) to the foredeck is the liferaft? Hmmmm....
rhr1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 13:51   #22
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Doesn't look like he has a reefing system installed.
Old 28-02-2014, 13:52   #23
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
Doesn't look like he has a reefing system installed.
maybe, but he had jacklines
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 13:57   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

and a sevylor 50 usd puffboat..omy..... ok..... and those storms aint as easy as you guys seem to think.. they have all the punch and power of a ts even to furycame only very cold. seas have been measured in pnw storms at 50+ ft.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 14:10   #25
cruiser

Do you think he would be doing this in his ill prepared boat if he didn't have the back up of being able to push a button and request a rescue?
LBW399 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 15:01   #26

It demonstrates to me that satellite connectivity on a boat in trouble can save USCG a lot of money in unnecessary search effort. I hope the two good samaritans that diverted to help look for him didn't burn too much extra fuel. Either way, we end up all paying for it.

I really hope he makes it. But, if no word of arrival appears, I'll be looking for his boat in about...say 6 mos passing back by the Big Island:

What's happened to Japan's tsunami debris? | Earth | EarthSky
Mahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 17:36   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahana View Post
It demonstrates to me that satellite connectivity on a boat in trouble can save USCG a lot of money in unnecessary search effort. I hope the two good samaritans that diverted to help look for him didn't burn too much extra fuel. Either way, we end up all paying for it.

I really hope he makes it. But, if no word of arrival appears, I'll be looking for his boat in about...say 6 mos passing back by the Big Island:

What's happened to Japan's tsunami debris? | Earth | EarthSky
He seemed a nice enough fellow and there was even an article in the local newspaper (Hawaii Tribune-Herald) about his quest awhile back. I think he'll either make it or head back to the islands via tradewinds and see Honolulu next. We've had a few abandoned boats get taken up by the north Pacific gyration and end up on our shores or near enough to be taken in by local fishermen.
Old 28-02-2014, 17:40   #28

Here's the local scoop awhile back.

Man sailing around world stops in Hilo | Hawaii Tribune-Herald

I'm not certain why he's going to San Francisco.
Old 28-02-2014, 20:13   #29

The Whidbey News article from July (linked somewhere above) indicated that he was headed for Cape Horn. Perhaps this is a kind of shake-down cruise in preparation for the Southern Oceans.
Mahana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2014, 23:11   #30

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

I haven't checked on him today, but yesterday he sent msg he was fine and in pretty rough conditions. As a matter of fact, I think he sent 4 messages yesterday. He is Russian, in a San Juan 24. I donated $20. us to his trip and he ended up raising about $1400. I think. The guy has something going for him. In one message yesterday he stated "I LOVE SAILING". Sure hope he makes it. I will drive down and welcome him if he does. Seems a lot are blasting the quality of his boat and others his sanity, but The history of sailing is all about putting everything on the line. There were no weather windows, radar, gps, epirbs, etc. Each trip the whalers left on was putting it all on the line. I spent a little time in the silent navy in fast attack nukes during the cold war and that was the feelings we had at each departure. Scary, but thrilling. We knew we were real sailors. I don't miss it, hated it at the time, but the memories, oh the memories, why the stories I could tell you-------------------. Good Luck and God Speed Rimus! https://fundly.com./rimas-around-the-world to donate funds. He will need it when he gets to SF, and his active face book, www.facebook.com./rimas.meleshyus. there is another way to see his actual location and messages just after he sends them but the info is on my other laptop. I will try to post it tomorrow.
ravinracin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arc, hawaii, sail, sailboat