Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 06-03-2014, 12:19   #76
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1969 Pearson 35 #108 & 1976 Sabre 28
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi
Re: Search for 24-foot sailboat off Hilo Hawaii (Merged)

Rimas has not asked to be rescued or any way helped by anyone. He made a remark that he was having a rough time in a message but nothing more and a concerned reader took it upon themselves to call out the cavalry. He later reported that he was okay but the GG had already begun a search for him by that time. Rimas appears to be the last guy who would undertake a voyage with the idea that he could fire off the epirb the first time he was inconvenienced by the sea.

If what other people have said about his shipboard routine, he is tackling the passage with the minimum of conveniences. I had to make a choice about continuing on to Hawaii 200 miles on the way from SF when my self steering acted up. Could not see making that trip without self steering and turned around to get it fixed. It wasn't because I couldn't spend all my waking hours on the helm, have done that, but didn't want to spend the extra time at sea that that would have entailed. Hand steering for days on end, heaving to to sleep, will get you there but it's not easy or quick. Those are the conditions that Rimas has chosen to live with and he's happy with that.

As far as the boat, it seems to be adequate to the task. Simple but strong enough to survive. He and the boat have alread endured worse conditions than almost all the contributors to this thread, including me, have ever experienced in their lives and is still soldiering on. Would I leave when he did to make the passage and/or would I do it in the boat he's doing it in?? The answer is no but then I'm sitting at my keyboard in Kona thinking about going down to work on the boat so it can leave the slip after too long being idle. He's out there doing it while we are sitting ensconced in our warm houses insulated from the elements.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Pope View Post
I think in most cases they used what they had, also in most cases they were reasonably skilled, the most important factor to me though is that they took responsibility for themselves. There was no safety / rescue industry, apart from the rules of the sea where seafarers looked out for each other. Unlike today where if things get a little unpleasant they think they can press a button and expect a helicopter sometime soon.

Old 06-03-2014, 12:34   #77

Boat: Trismus 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
Rimas has not asked to be rescued or any way helped by anyone. He made a remark that he was having a rough time in a message but nothing more and a concerned reader took it upon themselves to call out the cavalry. He later reported that he was okay but the GG had already begun a search for him by that time. Rimas appears to be the last guy who would undertake a voyage with the idea that he could fire off the epirb the first time he was inconvenienced by the sea.

If what other people have said about his shipboard routine, he is tackling the passage with the minimum of conveniences. I had to make a choice about continuing on to Hawaii 200 miles on the way from SF when my self steering acted up. Could not see making that trip without self steering and turned around to get it fixed. It wasn't because I couldn't spend all my waking hours on the helm, have done that, but didn't want to spend the extra time at sea that that would have entailed. Hand steering for days on end, heaving to to sleep, will get you there but it's not easy or quick. Those are the conditions that Rimas has chosen to live with and he's happy with that.

As far as the boat, it seems to be adequate to the task. Simple but strong enough to survive. He and the boat have alread endured worse conditions than almost all the contributors to this thread, including me, have ever experienced in their lives and is still soldiering on. Would I leave when he did to make the passage and/or would I do it in the boat he's doing it in?? The answer is no but then I'm sitting at my keyboard in Kona thinking about going down to work on the boat so it can leave the slip after too long being idle. He's out there doing it while we are sitting ensconced in our warm houses insulated from the elements.
My apologies, Perhaps I should have made myself a little clearer, My criticism is not for one second of Rimas but of his critics, and the so called safety culture that has been fostered over the years.

Old 06-03-2014, 13:22   #78

Boat: grampian 26

He may be one of those guys blessed with an abundance of luck and pull it off. If not then his boat will become bottom trash and his remains food for the fish.
Either way he is fulfilling his life long dream.
Fortune favors the bold.
Old 06-03-2014, 13:43   #79
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

so, where is he now?
Old 06-03-2014, 13:55   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cascade, Sloop, 42 - "Casual"

Anyone remember the book about the Japanese sailor that sailed over from Japan to SF just after WWII? He had much less, was in a locally built wood boat about the same size and didn't even have a passport. Much longer journey as well.
Old 06-03-2014, 18:05   #81

Boat: PETERSON 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwi399 View Post
Are you seriously comparing this guy to Chiles? Chile's took every precaution to make sure the Ericson was up to the rigours of the southern ocean - and time would tell that it was not - well he made it in the end, but not before the hull cracked and before that his rig was damaged and started pumping, so he went to -- I think -- Tahiti for repais.
The Ericson was a brand new boat he had specifically built for the voyage, and he has stated in later years that the boat and rig had a design fault - in his particular boat anyway - but of course he did not know this at the time.

The drascombe, also a new boat, hit a log and pitchpoled.

His current boat, a Moore 24, a strongly built boat to start with, has gone through extensive upgrades including a complete new rig.

A hell of difference to some guy going in a flimsily built old boat that he hasn't bothered to beef up both the hull and the rigging. This Ruskie can do what he wants, but don't try compare him to Chiles.

The smallness of the boat is not the issue. If he went in a 50 footer that he had not bothered to up-grade for the task - it would be the same issue.

By the way - Chiles carries no life-raft, and definitely no EPIRB. He will not ever call for help under any circumstances.
What about this guy? Does he "expect" to get rescued if it all goes to pot? I bet he does. Again - huge difference between he and Chiles.

I did not really compare the 2. I suggested that years ago a young sailor took boats that most would not for long voyages. The boat or boats had limits and those limits would have been hashed harshly on today's Internet.
I follow Webbs writings and I smiled when he mentioned meeting Ronnie Simpson. Now I could compare the 2 but I am not. Some at CF had a fit others were supportive of Ronnie. Now he is a well experienced sailor.
Just saying.
So not so seriously I was suggesting that tearing up some guy we don't know or understand because we have news reports of who he is could be very off.
Pretty sure no one thought Ronnie would do several crossings and win the solo transpac in a moore 24.
I'll take the sarcastic "seriously" as a comment of first blush impression and misreading what I wrote. Smiles and pleasant sailing.
Old 06-03-2014, 18:07   #82

Boat: PETERSON 44

Of course I just misquoted the post that mis quoted my position. Blaming this on the app.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:46   #83
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I did not really compare the 2. I suggested that years ago a young sailor took boats that most would not for long voyages. The boat or boats had limits and those limits would have been hashed harshly on today's Internet.
I follow Webbs writings and I smiled when he mentioned meeting Ronnie Simpson. Now I could compare the 2 but I am not. Some at CF had a fit others were supportive of Ronnie. Now he is a well experienced sailor.
Just saying.
So not so seriously I was suggesting that tearing up some guy we don't know or understand because we have news reports of who he is could be very off.
Pretty sure no one thought Ronnie would do several crossings and win the solo transpac in a moore 24.
I'll take the sarcastic "seriously" as a comment of first blush impression and misreading what I wrote. Smiles and pleasant sailing.
Fair enough. I obviously did misread. My apologies.
And I obviously did jump to conclusions about this guy in general-but I seem not to be alone in that respect judging by other members posts in this thread - I assumed, incorrectly, that this fella had an Epirb and was ready to press it at the first sign of trouble, but as more things come to light about this fellow , this Russian it seems is a tough cookie doing it his way, and not expecting anyone to get him out of a tough situation. Respect.
Old 11-03-2014, 10:51   #84
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

so where is he now? any news?
Old 11-03-2014, 10:54   #85
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
Of course I just misquoted the post that mis quoted my position. Blaming this on the app.
Eh? You weren't telling me off then? Oh well, all is ok. Btw that Ronnie guy is pretty amazing, what with his background as an injured war vet. I think he is off across the Pacific in an engine-less Cal and one day wants to do a RTW race. Inspiring stuff.
Old 11-03-2014, 11:02   #86

Didn't know Bruce Kirby designed the San Juan 24, another success for our Canadian friend who also designed the Laser.
Old 11-03-2014, 12:52   #87

BTW, people, up until the 60s, nobody had self-steering when they crossed oceans on small boats. But it didn't mean they had to be satisfied with hand steering.

Most half-decent boats can be persuaded, without any additional gear or mods, to sail themselves to windward or close reaching with the tiller lashed, with little loss of efficiency in comparison with a vane or alert helmsman.

Most of the exceptions are horribly ill-balanced even when helming manually.

And (with a couple of small tricks which deserve to be more well known than they are) virtually all boats can be set up to sail themselves all the way down to a beam reach.

It's a bit trickier broad reaching and running on IOR style boats if the main stays up, but by pulling down the main and with a second heads'l on a second pole, it's easily done using the time-honoured "sheet to tiller" method

(some will attempt to keep the main up, sheeted amidships, but it can lead to Chinese fire drills if wave action leads to a broach, or conditions continue to build)

This knowledge risks being lost with the automatic assumption (as we see here) that high technology is indispensable. It's actually handy knowing how to scrape by, on any boat. Autopilots and windvanes are prone to outages, and can be high maintenance.

I have surprised skippers on their own boats, particularly ones with bunks near the autopilot. "Cripes, mate, did you hand steer all night? I had the best sleep so far this passage?"

Why wear out the technology by making it fight with the boat's instincts, depleting the batteries, when the boat is smart enough to steer itself?

Many solo sailors these days seem to abort their crossings simply because of problems with their steering aids, which seems a shame.
Old 11-03-2014, 20:58   #88

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

Rimas stated this morning, 3/11/14 that he had 690nm to go to S.F. 10 minutes ago at 7:43pm he said: " good night I am done sailing for today". His position 31.705N 134.338W . He apparently gets up each morning, hoists the sails and sails all day. He douses the sails in the evening and goes to bed. I don't think he has figured out self steering in his SJ24 yet. It looks like he may have some good weather for a few day. He sure has had a rough time of it so far. Many storms/gales.
Old 11-03-2014, 22:49   #89

I've fooled around a lot trying to get a modern boat to self steer broad reaching or running, never been succesful other than for short times in lighter conditions. It is certainly easier on autopilots and windvanes to use twin head sails. The full keel designs are easier to steer down wind in normal conditions. Yes almost any boat can self steer hard on the wind for days on end but beam reaching is a different game and in gusty conditions even some vanes have a problem unless your reefed down a lot.
Old 13-03-2014, 01:22   #90

As far as unsuitable boats go, our Russian friend isn't even in the hunt, compared with
this South African lad who build a boat in a mate's flat:

see (on youTube)
"Ant Steward, Around the world alone, in an open boat"

Tags
arc, hawaii, sail, sailboat

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: