Join CruisersForum Today

Old 10-10-2017, 11:17   #16
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Seahawk Paints and warranty

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunkylump View Post

But it's ok for you to scrape off boat bottoms and leave that in the world's oceans? Do you really believe they aren't toxic?

Nice to know that you are doing that to our world's oceans as well
Yes, the paints I service are toxic. But here's the difference; they're not illegal. Nor is the cleaning of them illegal. Let's face it, biocide-laden anti fouling products are currently the only effective and affordable way for pleasure craft owners to combat fouling growth. There is no justification however for the use of TBT anti fouling paints, when there are effective alternatives and especially when you are aware of the damage TBT paints do to the environment.

Quote:
I am aware that there is a ban, and that there is no ban in the Caribbean. That is where I sail.
There may not be a ban in the country where you had the paint applied, but that is not the same as there being a Carribbean-wide ban on TBT. I assure you that is not the case. And not justification even if it were the case.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:23   #17
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
I am aware that there is a ban, and that there is no ban in the Caribbean. That is where I sail.

Cheers.
I am aware of the legality of TBT based paints in the Caribbean and indeed in other areas as well. However, whether legal or not that doesn't change the impact on the environment. Do you not also considered the morality of using a product that is universally acknowledged to be damaging to the oceans?

CFCs and ozone depleting chemicals are still legal in developing countries but that doesn't make them any less damaging to the planet.

Old 10-10-2017, 11:33   #18

Boat: Stevens 47

Ok, so to use your logic Fstbottoms....if it isn't illegal...it's ok. It's ok for you to scrape bottom paint off, and leave it in the oceans/seas...whatever.

Where I sail and have my boat...it is NOT ILLEGAL....to use the paint that I and many, many others have chosen to use. Remember, that's using your logic. So, even though theT paint that you scrape off...of I would assume a good number of boats, is also toxic, but to a lesser degree of toxicity....it is still toxic.....but because it has not been deemed "illegal"....it's ok. Sorry, but doesn't work for me.

I agree that the current state of "technology in bottom paints" is lacking...one would think that someone, somewhere has a new and economical answer. I hope some day it comes to that, we shall see. But until then, and until a product that I have chosen to use and is not illegal where I use it....is deemed illegal or taken off the market, it's my choice whether to use it or not.

I appreciate that there will be those that oppose my view on this, and good, clear discussion is always appreciated. Heck, I may even think twice next time. I will use a Seahawk paint of some kind though.

Thanks for your viewpoints.....the whole impetus behind my post was to give accolades to Seahawk Paints, and they deserve them in my opinion. They stand by their product, they honor their warranty in a very efficient manner, and I truly appreciate their doing so.
Old 10-10-2017, 11:43   #19
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Too bad you decided to make your lack of environmental stewardship known here, so that others, who take exception to your use of a poison so harmful that even notorious polluters like China have banned it, could hijack the thread.

Your praise of the Sea Hawk Paints company is also specious, considering that the entire management staff (including the owner) went to prison and the company paid a seven figure fine behind the crimes they committed regarding lying to the USEPA and their customers about discontinuing production and sales of TBT in this country after it was made illegal. But hey, if that's the way you like to roll and the people you like to do business with- knock yourself out.
Old 10-10-2017, 19:17   #20

Well i had a Sea Hawk paint job, in white, carried out in Grenada and by the time i got to the B.V.Is. most of it had washed off.
Dennis was involved in the complaint and he offered to repaint the leading edges which had wore away to the yellow primer.
Despite institing that this work was carried out nothing was done. I have the photos to prove it.
Their response is we donít garauntee our white paint.
So Iím still in the Caribbean having paid for a very expensive paint job and no anti fouling fouling protection.
My only answer is to have her lifted every time I leave and have the hull pressure washed.
The hull will have to stay that way until I get somewhere where I can get an alternative paint supplier.
I think they call it a captive market.

Tags
paint

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: