Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-03-2018, 11:14   #1

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B
sea time

I am relatively new to ocean sailing (not sailing in general) and would like to get some sea time. I have my ASA cerifications 101,103,104,105 and have chartered. My family is not interested in spending our short 1 week vacations ocean sailing. They like hanging out at anchor and seeing stuff which doesn't translate to ocean miles, standing watch and the like. I am not at a point in my life where I can take weeks off to take advantage of most opportunities I can find. Does anyone know of opportunities that are a few days at a time? Not looking for destinations, just sailing. Head off shore for 24-36 hours and then turn around and sail back. Would be looking for sailing opportunities from the SE coast of US

I would not think I would be alone in my situation of having limited time but the desire for some ocean miles/experience.

Thanks for the suggestions if any.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 14:49   #2

Re: sea time

Just to clear up my request. I am not looking for free sailing. I have problem being a "paying customer"

Thanks

Foster
Old 19-03-2018, 15:05   #3

Boat: Outbound 44

Maybe you could fit in one of the shorter courses from

Mahina seminars
Old 19-03-2018, 16:27   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Hi Foster,

Are you strictly limited to a few days max? If your schedule is flexible and you could devote maybe a week you could probably pick up a number of crew positions with boaters moving their boats north and south up the US east coast with the seasons.

Otherwise, my experience most boaters are going out for day sails or maybe a family weekend. Doesn't seem to common for someone to just sail out to sea for a couple of days then turn around and sail back.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 17:05   #5

Boat: 2017 Lagoon 42

You are in the south east: Perhaps being a crew for crossing to Bahamas? Obviously some expense in flying back o US, but much more of a time frame based on your availability.
DeepCut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2018, 17:28   #6

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepCut View Post
You are in the south east: -----.
Speaking of the SE, where is Monroe?
Old 20-03-2018, 04:50   #7

FSMike-Not on the coast. I live about 30 miles east of Atlanta, Ga.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will keep searching for opportunities that work. I am open to them all.

In my original inquiry I was thinking more along the lines of a person that offers these short cruises at sea as a business. Example...Load the boat up with 4 people at $1000 each for approximately 48 hours at sea for a little training/experience. Like has been mentioned there are quite a few that do these training trips but for longer durations. I might just have to wait a little longer until these style trips fit into my life a little better.

Thanks again.
Old 20-03-2018, 05:49   #8

Boat: Valiant 40

I don't know anyone at all who sails offshore if they're not going anywhere unless there is literally nowhere else to sail from their port, and they probably day sail.

You might keep an eye on the "crew wanted" section of these forums. You'll find numerous boat owners looking for a "helping hand" making short offshore hops of a few days. Maybe you'll get lucky and one will line up with your schedule.

Another option is to pay for a course with an outfit like YachtingEducation.com. I know Mark, have sailed and raced with him and he's huge fun and very knowledgeable.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 06:03   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by flee27 View Post
FSMike-Not on the coast. I live about 30 miles east of Atlanta, Ga.

Thank you for all the suggestions. I will keep searching for opportunities that work. I am open to them all.

In my original inquiry I was thinking more along the lines of a person that offers these short cruises at sea as a business. Example...Load the boat up with 4 people at $1000 each for approximately 48 hours at sea for a little training/experience. Like has been mentioned there are quite a few that do these training trips but for longer durations. I might just have to wait a little longer until these style trips fit into my life a little better.

Thanks again.
I'm embarrassed to say I lived in Atlanta for 20 years and have family from Winder and Athens and I couldn't recall where Monroe is. Had to look it up on Google maps.

Based on your time restrictions for now I think your best chance to get some sea miles will involve one way trips like people moving their boat up and down the ICW. Could you arrange for your wife to do something like drop you in Jacksonville and a few days later pick you up in Norfolk or something along those lines?
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 06:12   #10

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Buy a boat and just go sailing.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2018, 06:43   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
I'm embarrassed to say I lived in Atlanta for 20 years and have family from Winder and Athens and I couldn't recall where Monroe is. Had to look it up on Google maps.

Based on your time restrictions for now I think your best chance to get some sea miles will involve one way trips like people moving their boat up and down the ICW. Could you arrange for your wife to do something like drop you in Jacksonville and a few days later pick you up in Norfolk or something along those lines?
No problem. Monroe is not exactly a large town. Easy to drive right by, especially years ago. Like most places Monroe is turning into a suburb of Atlanta now.

All things are options. I will just be on the look out for one that lines up. I am sure opportunities will present themselves if I look.

I appreciate all the well thought suggestions and advice.

Keepondancin...Your "helpful" suggestion deserves no further comment
Old 21-03-2018, 03:48   #12

Boat: Bristol 27

James Baldwin of Atom Voyages took a guy out a couple years back from the SE part of the US. I believe they planned to go over to the Bahamas but decided not to

So it was a few days sailing out and back.......a shake down cruise on his 28' Triton

Atom Voyages - Atom's Shakedown 2016
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote