Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-11-2015, 12:47   #1

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230
Sea sickness, friends

I have a friend that was on his brother-in-laws boat and got sea sick. He says the reason was he drank warm beer. Would you invite a person that has been sea sick before and caused a trip to be shortened out on your boat?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 12:56   #2

Boat: catalina 400 MKII
Re: Sea sickness, friends

Yes. I have friends and family members who get seasick. I invite them on my special, gentle cruises. Calmest of days, short sails, return to the dock to hang out. People can build on positive experiences to go on longer and longer sails. I also have them experiment with different seasickness medications. From Ginger Ale to over-the-counter to prescription - people can sometimes find a method that works for them. I have some friends that only go on dock-sails. We may not leave the dock, but we have a great time.
scotty c-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 12:57   #3

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Try and pick up some marazine... it works wonders quickly even with those aboard who are already queasy. Difficult to find but google it for the formulation which may be available under a different name. Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 12:59   #4

Boat: 2ft wide dreaming chair

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I have a friend that was on his brother-in-laws boat and got sea sick. He says the reason was he drank warm beer. Would you invite a person that has been sea sick before and caused a trip to be shortened out on your boat?
i'd make sure he took some pills but other than that, it takes some courage to go back on board after getting seriously seasick.
or denial.
only one way to find out.
Simonsays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 13:08   #5

Boat: Tartan 30 & Columbia 26

I've taken lots of people sailing (seriously, hundreds!). I've never cut a trip short due to someone getting seasick. I always make it clear to all crew that seasickness is their responsibility, and if they're concerned they need to take their own precautions. Yes, I've had people hanging off the transom puking, but they're still alive when we get back to the dock.
wristwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 13:12   #6

Boat: Catalina 30

I vote to having them try experimenting with different sea sick meds. For me Bonine is a wonder drug. I still get sea sick if stuck down below in rough water or even at dock in high winds getting bounced around and Bonine makes me right as rain.
Old 24-11-2015, 13:35   #7

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

I tell my landlubber friends- and these are friends who can take reality- that I don't take land people on the boat because they're too much work.

I used to have land people as guests, but now I see the land people on land, and the water people on the water. It makes for a better experience for everyone. OK, I will occasionally make an exception and that's when it's forecast to be dead flat waters and warm enough that nobody needs or wants to be below deck.

It's funny when kids grow up on boats. We usually head out on short passages just before sunup. The darned kids will sleep until mid-morning; if the diesel is running they'll sleep till noon- no matter how terrible conditions are.

Gotta watch their landlubber friends though "let's go below and watch a movie and eat junk food!" oh, no, you don't.

The three elements most popular to sailing- sun, wave, and drinks- are the killers of landlubber guests...sunburned, drunk, and seasick!
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 14:32   #8

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

Agree that land people on my boat are a pain. Not their fault but just clumsy and not intune with any part of the routine. I tell them to stay seated as that is best.

Ever notice more clunking sounds as they move...ugh...but again not their fault.

I guess that is why you see boat people hanging with other boat people.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 14:39   #9

Boat: Pearson 39-2 "Sea Story"

I have found that anyone who gets seasick and isn't willing to tough it out turns down my invitations.

Most of the people we have aboard are landlubbers, but they sure do enjoy going out with us and we seem to be in the process of converting a few!
Old 24-11-2015, 14:49   #10

Boat: Ohlson 29

Short answer: yes, I would.

Long answer:

When you know someone gets seasick (or you have no idea of knowing since they're never on boats), pick the cruises you invite them on with care.

Also take care with your preparations - serving (warm?) beer before you leave or during the trip probably isn't the best way to avoid seasickness ...

I'm not sure why you wrote "and caused a trip to be shortened" - I doubt they wanted to get seasick (it sounds a bit accusatory to me) and, more importantly, you can get over seasickness while still sailing. I don't see how you have to cut your trip short, only that you could choose to do so.

But most importantly: the skipper has to take responsibility for when to invite which friends, and take some care to prevent seasickness. Landlubbers won't know the do's and don'ts, we do. So it's up to us to at least tell them what they need to know and avoid seasickness as much as we can.

When people do get seasick, they'll have to tough it out. So sad, I know, but it's part of sailing sometimes. And again, there's some do's and don'ts to get over it as quickly as possible.
Lizzy Belle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 15:55   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Let's see......A guy who gets seasick and complains about the temperature of his beer!.... Nah!
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 07:14   #12

Never had a failure with Stugeron, except with those that refused to take it.

Disadvantage is if you follow the instructions and take two tablets, people go to sleep. Two under the tongue to dissolve (swallow them and they will likely throw them up) sorts out people with really bad seasickness, within about 20 minutes - but then they sleep for hours and hours (had to sail a boat back to harbour on my own once, as everybody else aboard had been seasick, and were out like a light from the Stugeron).

Experimenting with them, I found that half a Stugeron taken about 30 minutes before going aboard, is an excellent preventative. If away for a while, a half taken each day for a few days, helps acquire sea legs with no issues. With no 'out like a light' sleeping, and maintaining good awareness.

I have only ever been seasick once (Force 10+ Bay of Biscay, and it hit me like a sledgehammer going below, was fine up top). I wouldn't wish seasickness on anybody, and to guarantee I don't get it again, even though unlikely to, I guarantee an enjoyable experience, by taking a half Stugeron myself, until I am sure I have my sea legs.

I do suspect they have prevented seasickness for me on occasion, when things up top turned rapidly cold and uncomfortable. There's a sort of reminiscence of how it was like that's difficult to describe, but no actual full blown seasickness followed (helped by rapid making of large steaming mugs of Oxo, and putting extra layers of clothing on, it doesn't take long to warm up and get nice and comfortable again).

A packet lasts ages if used as a preventative.

It bears remembering that some of the greatest sailors that ever lived, suffered terribly from seasickness. Including Lord Nelson.

So don't go holding it against anybody.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 07:27   #13
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

When friends get sea sick I just laugh at them. It makes me feel much better.

No, I don't take them out for a cruise again where they may force a change of plans. There begins to get safety implications as well as enjoyment.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 07:40   #14

Boat: Corsair F28 AC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontherocks83 View Post
I vote to having them try experimenting with different sea sick meds. For me Bonine is a wonder drug. I still get sea sick if stuck down below in rough water or even at dock in high winds getting bounced around and Bonine makes me right as rain.
Yep, I'm definitely going to have Bonine handy in by bag and will give it a try. Tried the scopolamine patch behind the ear once. I was a zombie the entire day.
Lakepapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 08:22   #15

I must emphasise that the size Stugeron tablet I break in half, is the common 15mg one retailed in the UK.

You can get prescribed this for Reynaud's disease for example, in dosages of around 75mg, so unless specifically prescribed for me (I might at some point, as I have Reynaud's), I wouldn't want to be taking a half, or even two.

It does appear that height challenged people with a lightly built stature, can get away with an effective dose of a quarter of a 15mg tablet.

Also, it appears the best value are big boxes of 25mg tablets, that are a lot cheaper than the 15mg tablets (with less of the 15mg in a box). Ask the pharmacist for them. Just cut each tablet down to size accordingly. I'll be chasing up the 25mg size in future.

Interesting article here:

http://www.yachtingworld.com/blogs/e...ess-cures-1664
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sea sickness