Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2015, 09:38   #16

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: Sea sickness, friends

Hey, Ribbit... I think that the active ingredient in Sturgeron is the same as in marazine. I could be wrong but a physician friend mentioned that. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 10:20   #17

Another famous seasick person was Charles Darwin. Unlike most people, he didn't get better after 3 days at sea but stayed seasick for the voyage relieved only by stops like the Galapagos.

Perhaps we have seasickness to thank for his discovery of evolution.

Even ashore Darwin had frequent vomiting and traveled to Malvern to try the then popular Dr. Gully's Water Treatment for two months. Other than the 5 mile walk, it seems a lot like being offshore on a 36ft monohull.

Dr. Gully's patients at Malvern were woken at 5 am, undressed and wrapped in wet sheets then covered with blankets. An hour later, buckets of water were thrown upon the patients who then went on a five mile walk, carrying an alpenstock and a Gräfenberg flask of mineral water, stopping at wells for the waters. They returned to the Malvern pump room for a breakfast of dry biscuits and water. They then had the day to spend bathing in a range of kinds of baths, or in some cases wore a wet sheet called the "Neptune Girdle" round their middle at all times, removing it only at meal times. Dinner which was always boiled mutton and fish was followed by a few hours in a dry bed. The exercise, plain food and absence of alcohol together with the congenial company of other wealthy patrons proved generally beneficial.[2]
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 10:23   #18

My favorite advice on seasickness from John Neal:

Mahina Expedition - Offshore Cruising Instruction
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 10:50   #19

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

No problemo taking my prone to sea sickness friends out. Just choose a trip long enough they'll be too sick to care about when you are getting back and there's time to recover from it while at sea, no rerouting in any case
And I do get sea sick occasionally myself if I've been landlubbed too long and the weather is bad enough.
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 10:54   #20

Lots of info here
crabcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 12:23   #21

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Phil View Post
Hey, Ribbit... I think that the active ingredient in Sturgeron is the same as in marazine. I could be wrong but a physician friend mentioned that. Cheers, Phil
Nope! Marazine is Cyclizine, and Stugeron is Cinnarizine. Different chemicals altogther.

And FWIW, both Ann and I find Stugeron very effective. Not easily available in many places, Oz and the USA included.

Jim
Old 26-11-2015, 12:33   #22

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

I just read the link to John Neal's discussion of seasickness. It is all correct, AFAIK.

We carry suppositories, have never had to use them.

For over-the-counter, I used to use marazine. Have tried Bonine (which I think is meclizine HCl). However, Stugeron is my go-to. Works very well for me. I have used the Scop patches, but the dry mouth side effect was unpleasant (although it was still better than throwing up).

I think telling the landlubbers they must be responsible for their own seasickness prevention is wise. If we were taking folks out that we couldn't do that with, I think I would carry some OTC treatment, to offer in case someone needed it.

As seasickness is treatable, I would not refuse access to the boat for any friend, but all guests should be warned of the possibility and know what one's expectations are, as to their responsibilities.

Ann
Old 26-11-2015, 12:36   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Nope! Marazine is Cyclizine, and Stugeron is Cinnarizine. Different chemicals altogther.

And FWIW, both Ann and I find Stugeron very effective. Not easily available in many places, Oz and the USA included.

Jim
Thanks, Jim. My physician friend is obviously mistaken... Cheers, Phil
Old 26-11-2015, 12:42   #24

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

I have never been sea sick but from reading this thread it seems that wave size/action as well as being above deck or below deck can affect me. I have never been in the real rough stuff.

For those that have been seasick what size waves caused it?

So far for me - I like the motion of the ocean.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 13:14   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim

Oh heck. I hope I can fly out with some in my luggage. Is it available OTC in Canada if I can't?

At the dosages I take (7.5mg once a day for a few days) I have never experienced a problem. If I can get 25mg tablets, that will go down to 6.25mg a day (as I will take a 1/4).

Problems generally start when doses of drugs exceed a certain level. For example I rely heavily on ibuprofen for basic pain and inflammation control. But I do know that problems can start when you exceed 2,400mg a day.

So the absolute maximum I take per day, is 1,200mg, to leave a very wide and safe margin.

I did read somewhere, that my taking it 30 minutes before getting on a boat with Stugeron, may not work for some, and they seem to find up to an hour and a half before, works better for them.
Ribbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 14:13   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I have never been sea sick but from reading this thread it seems that wave size/action as well as being above deck or below deck can affect me. I have never been in the real rough stuff.

So far for me - I like the motion of the ocean.

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
My one and only time I was ever seasick was on my first time at sea on a towboat into a head-on buck blowing about 30 knots towing a hugh barge with a couple of dozers, donkey engine and several containers of logging equipment headed for up coast. It was like being inside a piñata at a Mexican birthday party! I was sick for about 20 hours and the Mate covered me up with a tarp up on the bow and left me there. Never got sick again! Phil
Old 26-11-2015, 14:42   #27
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

The Bow?? ......Bloody luxury...... On my tug, when I got seasick and couldn't stand my watch.....Mate made me clean the toilets.....
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 15:06   #28

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post

For the time I was REALLY seasick it was >10m/33' seas. We sailed out early in the morning and I was on watch all day without no problems. When I went below it struck in a minute and lasted for two days...
Besides that I've felt a bit nauseated a couple of times in moderate conditions.

BR Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 15:25   #29

Boat: Cape Dory 36

I have to agree with Pelagic regarding your friend, as for myself when I was young throwing up never stood in the way of me raising or trimming a sail. Never let a seasick person below decks.... period.
OBXSkipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2015, 16:49   #30

It didn't feel too luxurious at the time, Pelagic! I had just cooked dinner for the skipper and mate and took off through the wheelhouse door in time to lose it over the side! I crawled up to the bow and hung onto the anchor winch for dear life!

Tags
sea sickness