Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-01-2015, 20:09   #1

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Apparently Sea Shepherd has received it's biggest ever donation. 12.8 Million Euros.

New vessel for Sea Shepherd | The Examiner
Old 26-01-2015, 20:25   #2

Boat: between boats
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Boo

Gone off those knobs since they started valuing sharks lives over those of west aussie surfers and divers
Old 26-01-2015, 20:31   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Boo

Gone off those knobs since they started valuing sharks lives over those of west aussie surfers and divers
it's not just them you have gone off then, a great many WA's feel the same in support of the sharks. And for that matter a great deal of Aussie surfers.
Old 26-01-2015, 20:46   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
it's not just them you have gone off then, a great many WA's feel the same in support of the sharks. And for that matter a great deal of Aussie surfers.
Rubbish. If there are any south west aussie surfers who want to keep a known maneater alive after the fact they dont say boo!

Those that are at risk are the only ones who's opinion i care about on this topic.
The rest should but out just like seashepherd
Old 26-01-2015, 20:54   #5

Quote:
Rubbish. If there are any south west aussie surfers who want to keep a known maneater alive after the fact they dont say boo!

Those that are at risk are the only ones who's opinion i care about on this topic.

No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au

The thread was not really about Sharks! BUt..
Old 26-01-2015, 20:59   #6

Quote:

Here's some more 'rubbish'. From a well known surfer.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...95458947133296
Old 26-01-2015, 21:00   #7

Boat: Tayana 52

Sea Shepherd - weren't they the ones who dumped diesel into Cairns Harbour?

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 26-01-2015, 21:02   #8

Quote:
No Cookies | dailytelegraph.com.au

The thread was not really about Sharks! BUt..
I know your from Tassie and all mate but Manly is about 5300km from SW Austalia which is where SS chose to get involved. Nice safe seats to feel all green and fuzzy warm from since NSW still uses shark nets.

WTF Ricky Gervais, Richard Branson??? How does their opinion matter???
Like i said they dont count - their lives or those of their friends and family are not in danger

Seashepherd made it about sharks when they took up the cause. Go and save the nice non human eating whales from the Japs and leave us to try and keep safe while pursuing our watersports
Old 26-01-2015, 21:06   #9

Boat: Amel Super Maramu 2000

The sharks have just as much right to be in the water as humans.
This govt sponsored shark culling is just so ridiculous, what are they going to do, kill every shark in Indian Ocean ??
If you know there are man eating sharks there, don't go there, seems pretty simple !
Old 26-01-2015, 21:09   #10

Quote:
I know your from Tassie and all mate but Manly is about 5300km from SW Austalia which is where SS chose to get involved. Nice safe seats to feel all green and fuzzy warm from since NSW still uses shark nets.

WTF Ricky Gervais, Richard Branson??? How does their opinion matter???
Like i said they dont count - their lives or those of their friends and family are not in danger

Seashepherd made it about sharks when they took up the cause. Go and save the nice non human eating whales from the Japs and leave us to try and keep safe while pursuing our watersports
Well, to be honest I had no idea where 'Manly' was.

I didn't post the link because of Gervais or Branson, but in response to your quite outlandish claim that surfers are not apposed to the cull.

We have sharks down here in Tassie to you know. But you don't find us wanting to start killing them all because someone dies from a shark attack.

But anyway, I'll leave the shark thing. The thread was meant to be about SS new plans for a new super dooper boat.
Old 26-01-2015, 21:13   #11

Quote:
Well, to be honest I had no idea where 'Manly' was.

We have sharks down here in Tassie to you know. But you don't find us wanting to start killing them all because someone dies from a shark attack.

But if you did want to put out some nets in dnager zones or order a catch and kill after an attack or even just befoe a likely one I wouldnt get invovved cos its none of my business - thats my point, just that.

just hope the new boat is for whales not sharks.
Old 26-01-2015, 21:15   #12

man did this disintegrate quickly. 21 minutes. I wonder if it's a record.
Old 26-01-2015, 21:33   #13

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

Barra. I kind of look at the oceans of this world as community property. I wish everyone did, maybe the oceans would be in better shape than they are. So in my mind everyone's opinion counts. I agree with you that if a shark is endangering people, they should be removed. By the same token, if people are needlessly destroying the life in our oceans, they should be removed. I applaud SS for the work they are doing in behalf of all living things.
Old 26-01-2015, 21:47   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravinracin View Post
Barra. I kind of look at the oceans of this world as community property. I wish everyone did, maybe the oceans would be in better shape than they are. So in my mind everyone's opinion counts. I agree with you that if a shark is endangering people, they should be removed. By the same token, if people are needlessly destroying the life in our oceans, they should be removed. I applaud SS for the work they are doing in behalf of all living things.
I agree with you too RR but the value of an opinion can and should be different in different circumstances. ie in this case its easy to be all pro conservation in your opinion if you or your loved ones are at no risk of attack (like Ricky Gervais in the article RR linked)

I am pro sea life conversation too (if you sail how can you not be?) and was a donator to SS but the rising large shark population has forced difficult issues to be faced locally here. With few facts its been sensationalised beyond belief!

What has been enlightening to me at least was how social media and organisations like SS have made it a global issue but from the perspective of people with no real personal risk in this issue.

I no longer donate to SS and if I was to wear my SS shirt to the local pub here it would be uncomfortable to say the least.
Old 26-01-2015, 22:25   #15

Boat: 1977 Clipper Marine 32'

Barra, sensationalism is a great thing the media uses to make profit. The facts usually don't get in the way. At least here in the US that is true. I don't know much about your media and how they operate. Hopefully they have a little more ethics than our media outlets.

Wearing that shirt would probably get the same results in some seafood restaurants in Japan. Near me, in San Francisco, a restaurant was busted a while back for serving whale meat, a product that is banned in the US. I would think this restaurant would have a problem with it also. I have donated to and will continue to support SS. Whales scare the hell out of me when I am sailing. I had one surface about 50 feet from us off the central California coast last November. I figure I am in their territory so I take my chances. I was pleased to see the money SS received.

We can spent trillions to protect our oil interests all over the world, but very little to enforce laws, that are on the books, to protection our oceans and the creatures in them. SS is working really hard to help, you can't fault them for that.
Closed Thread