Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2015, 23:28   #91

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppy View Post
Paul Watson puts his ship and the lives of his crew at risk. He should not be given a new ship, he should be given a desk job.
By order of an American court he has not managed the last two campaigns.
Old 27-01-2015, 23:32   #92

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
"Why is that"? No, I don't want your donations and I'm not a member of Sea Shepherd. I'm asking the name calling to stop so that the moderators don't shut the thread down! Is that unreasonable?

Your problem of the med I don't understand. SS DO fight for fish populations and clean seas.
Because of the irresponsible actions of it's leader, any thread about Sea Shepard risks being shut down.

The simple fact that Sea Shepard can elicit a strong dislike or even hatred from people who support SS ultimate goal, is a strong indication that their methods are unacceptable in the civilised world.
Old 27-01-2015, 23:37   #93

Quote:
Because of the irresponsible actions of it's leader, any thread about Sea Shepard risks being shut down.

The simple fact that Sea Shepard can elicit a strong dislike or even hatred from people who support SS ultimate goal, is a strong indication that their methods are unacceptable in the civilised world.
Well that would explain many of our citizens dislike of our Prime Minister!

But no, it's an indication of immaturity and an inability to discuss ideas in a rational manner without resorting to childish name calling. Let's stand above that sort of behaviour and avoid it. Otherwise go elswhere.
Old 27-01-2015, 23:39   #94

Boat: LAGOON 400

Quote:
"Why is that"? No, I don't want your donations and I'm not a member of Sea Shepherd. I'm asking the name calling to stop so that the moderators don't shut the thread down! Is that unreasonable?

Your problem of the med I don't understand. SS DO fight for fish populations and clean seas.
here is 1 little bit

Italy?s toxic ships: a crime of global proportions ? RT News

i am sure can find another 100 of that proportion but cant be bothered.
Old 27-01-2015, 23:44   #95

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
here is 1 little bit

Italy?s toxic ships: a crime of global proportions ? RT News

i am sure can find another 100 of that proportion but cant be bothered.
I don't understand you! Sea Shepherd would be condemning this behaviour like any other normal person would. Why are you blaming Sea Shepherd for this?
Old 27-01-2015, 23:55   #96

Quote:
Well that would explain many of our citizens dislike of our Prime Minister!

But no, it's an indication of immaturity and an inability to discuss ideas in a rational manner without resorting to childish name calling. Let's stand above that sort of behaviour and avoid it. Otherwise go elswhere.
Always been a Liberal voter, totally dislike him. Luckily as I have been non-resident for so long I am not on the electoral roll and can't vote, so I won't be faced with a dilemma.
Old 28-01-2015, 00:43   #97

Quote:
Always been a Liberal voter, totally dislike him. Luckily as I have been non-resident for so long I am not on the electoral roll and can't vote, so I won't be faced with a dilemma.
Old 28-01-2015, 01:30   #98

Boat: Westerly Sealord

What exactly does Phil the Greek ( and the mad monk) have to do with this thread?

Lets all stop eating 'wild' fish and start eating 'farmed' or 'domesticated' fish... ( bit Monty Pythonish having a pet fish)

Pity about the mangroves in Thailand and Vietnam that are being destroyed to make room for the fish farms..
Oh..lets eat salmon then... oh dear... it takes 4kg of wild fish ( typically slimey mackerel I believe) to produce the fishmeal to produce 1 kg of farmed salmon...

Gollee.. what to do...?

Too many people is the problem... we need fewer people... no more rooting is the answer.....

Whale steak? Yummy..... but not this bloke.... I'm trying to domesticate him...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fin.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	39.0 KB
ID:	96165  
Old 28-01-2015, 03:02   #99

Boat: 11meter Power catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShoes View Post
Stop the over fishing plunder and the sharks can go back to eating fish like they used to, but now have found aussie surfers tastey.

Sharks are deep water critters and this insane overfishing have brought them out of the depths. They used to eat orange ruffies, now all those are gone, so whadda expect.

Its nice these people can get funded to ride in a new boat, but I would think it would be more helpful if they bought a big ass tanker converted into a garbage scow and go clean the plastic out of the oceans and sink fishing boats, them big commercial ones!
Absolute rubbish about sharks. Have you ever spent any time diving around the coasts and reefs of Australia? If you had you would know that they have always frequented the shallow coastal areas chasing areas where bait fish congregate. Thats not to say they won't also be found in deeper waters.

cheers
Old 28-01-2015, 08:52   #100

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenelupiga View Post
why is that? dont you want open discussion or is just money donation exercise.

here is why SS suck :

go back to MED and fight for fish population and clean seas. As you know there is no fish and med sea is disgustingly dirty, especially under surface.

Then I will contribute my money.
I agree with you about the Med fishing. The Med bluefin tuna are most probably extinct from over fishing. I don't know about the trash, but I know ocean floors off America coasts are probably filthy too unfortunately.

The thing I think Arsene is getting at is that they are too close focused on the whole thing. But I understand they can't be everywhere at once. But they should be standing up for more than just a couple things. Not to say they support other things because they aren't actively involved in them.

Also, yes I think the captain should be held in admiralty court for his actions.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Old 28-01-2015, 15:48   #101

Boat: between boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
I agree with you about the Med fishing. The Med bluefin tuna are most probably extinct from over fishing. I don't know about the trash, but I know ocean floors off America coasts are probably filthy too unfortunately.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Oh dear. More ill informed opinion ronnie. The med blue fin tuna are far from extinct and are in fact recovering due to the commercial fishing moratorium there. Dont let the facts get in the way of a good ol opinion though eh?
Old 28-01-2015, 16:43   #102
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Too many people is the problem... we need fewer people... no more rooting is the answer.....
BINGO! That's the answer.

Too many of US!
Old 28-01-2015, 17:29   #103

Quote:
Is it now?

I don't sail around in a fleet of high tech whaling 'ships'!
I'm not illegally hunting whales in a sanctuary!

What does fouling a prop do? It slows them down. They may have to send divers over the side to free the prop. To date I think the record was a 12 hour delay and the devil of a thing was off hunting again.

Does it out sailors at risk? I doubt it. There not stranded at sea, because there is a fleet of them. If by some good stroke of luck SS manages to permanently seize and engine, then all they will do is tow the thing back to port.

The Japaneese and the Spanish financed poachers can be assured that if they were behaving like this in Russian waters they would probably be sunk. That's a real issue of safety.
Have you ever been at sea on a disabled vessel? I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess the answer is no.

I'll relate a personal experience. I was traveling with a following sea, 240' ice breaker, a much bigger and more robust ship then the harpoon ships in question.

We were running 4 engines, 100% out put. What happened next, is we pitched off a wave and the twin props were free wheeling in air- not water. As a failsafe the engines had an over rev governor and all 4 engines went into safe mode and shut down.

Without the directional stability provided by the forward thrust, the ship broached. This happened fast, the boat took about 5 or 6 rolls. This happened at around 2 am so several sailors were thrown from there bunks. Several injured several hospitalised.

The whole event lasted maybe 3 or 4 minutes before the engineers were able to get the engines back on line.

So yes, disabling a ships propulsion on the southern ocean is recklessly dangerous.

With this new technological terror they're creating they will be faster and far out displace the harpoon ships. These animals have a very well established history of ramming ships on the high seas. This new boat is going to get some one, possibly many people killed.

I'm cool with the whales and the fish, but deprivation on the high seas is piracy. No government in the region has the huevos to deal with these pirates. And by deal with them I mean seize their assets and throw the lot of them in jail.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 28-01-2015, 18:29   #104

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Have you ever been at sea on a disabled vessel? I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess the answer is no.

I'll relate a personal experience. I was traveling with a following sea, 240' ice breaker, a much bigger and more robust ship then the harpoon ships in question.

We were running 4 engines, 100% out put. What happened next, is we pitched off a wave and the twin props were free wheeling in air- not water. As a failsafe the engines had an over rev governor and all 4 engines went into safe mode and shut down.

Without the directional stability provided by the forward thrust, the ship broached. This happened fast, the boat took about 5 or 6 rolls. This happened at around 2 am so several sailors were thrown from there bunks. Several injured several hospitalised.

The whole event lasted maybe 3 or 4 minutes before the engineers were able to get the engines back on line.

So yes, disabling a ships propulsion on the southern ocean is recklessly dangerous.

With this new technological terror they're creating they will be faster and far out displace the harpoon ships. These animals have a very well established history of ramming ships on the high seas. This new boat is going to get some one, possibly many people killed.

I'm cool with the whales and the fish, but deprivation on the high seas is piracy. No government in the region has the huevos to deal with these pirates. And by deal with them I mean seize their assets and throw the lot of them in jail.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Your just not getting it are you?

No one disputes what can happen with a disabled vessel on the high seas. no one!

But these pirates who are illegally fishing for whales in a protective sanctuaries, and the other pirates, most likely Spanish backed illegally fishing for fish, are NOT out minding their own business or going about their legal occupations.

And your 100% right, no government currently has the balls to confiscate these pirates nets and vessels. Recently the New Zealand navy was given permission by the vessel's registered country to board one of these pirate ships but the NZ Navy decided it was too dangerous to board them when they wouldn't comply so just let them go.

Now, if these pirates were poaching in Russian waters, you can pretty well guarantee they would be sunk!

Now what's more dangerous in these 'high seas', SS tactics of throwing stink bombs, blocking fuel access and blocking carcass transfers or the military sinking them?

"These animals have a very well established history of ramming ships on the high seas. This new boat is going to get some one, possibly many people killed".

Yep, a bit of emotional but erroneous fact reporting. lol. What's the 'well established history'? Where's a link to this claim?

Frankly, I really don't give stuff for the safety of poachers, or the damn pirates off the East Coast of Africa.
Old 28-01-2015, 18:34   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Oh dear. More ill informed opinion ronnie. The med blue fin tuna are far from extinct and are in fact recovering due to the commercial fishing moratorium there. Dont let the facts get in the way of a good ol opinion though eh?
Facts Barra! Here is a link to the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas research page. If you scroll down to Blue Fin Tuna and check out the summary you will see that between 1998 and 2006 it is believe that Blue Fin Tuna has recuperated, BUT it's stipulated quite strongly that the research is fraught with problems that seriously question the data due to false and misleading data. Over fishing, poaching and massive understating of catch quota's make the data seriously unreliable.

So, whilst you are correct that they seem to be 'recovering', it's not due to 'moratoriums' but due to management. But the extent this is being successful is seriously an 'unknown'. Far from claiming that the fishery is 'far from extinction'.

https://www.iccat.int/en/assess.htm
Closed Thread