Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2015, 23:12   #121

Boat: between boats
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
I agree with you about the Med fishing. The Med bluefin tuna are most probably extinct from over fishing. I don't know about the trash, but I know ocean floors off America coasts are probably filthy too unfortunately.

The thing I think Arsene is getting at is that they are too close focused on the whole thing. But I understand they can't be everywhere at once. But they should be standing up for more than just a couple things. Not to say they support other things because they aren't actively involved in them.

Also, yes I think the captain should be held in admiralty court for his actions.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
There ya go Rustic Charm its in bold for ya

Old 28-01-2015, 23:14   #122

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Okay, they didn't run down any open boats. The CG intervened when the Farley Mowat was 5 cables away which is far too close to be cowboying around with a ship when men are working in open boats on ice flows. The CG identified that the lives of Canadian Citizens were at risk and stopped them before a loss of life occurred. That's kind of their job.

Accidental? Why don't you answer that question for yourself. Do you figure its logical that the Des Grosiellers just happened to bump into the Farley Mowat in the Cabot straight? With miles of sea room all around. The Des Grosiellers was based in Quebec city at the time, all the way across the gulf of st Lawrence. Or do you figure they had a purpose there. If you were the Captain of one of the crowns ships would you straight up admit that you rammed a rusty hulk full of hippies, especially when dealing with a propaganda machine like SS?

Where am i getting this from? I didn't find out about SS when they started creating bloody entertainment for the unwashed masses when they started airing whale wars. There was a lot of news coverage of this event at the time. If you missed the coverage you missed the coverage. I was following the storey closely at the time. I don't have a source to quote but I can tell you this. You want me to quote an internet source? Well some of us do our learning by participating in life, not just researching it on the internet.

SS has since cleaned up the videos you see on YouTube in an effort to polish their image. The original videos showed the open work boats and how closely SS was working to them. Remember SS is a propaganda machine first and everything else second.
Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
ok, thanks for clarifying this. You made it up. I'm cool with that. But, keep in mind you keep claiming there's a SS propaganda machine and yet your admitting to having nothing it would appear to support your claims. And now you seem to be suggesting there's been a conspiracy to clean up the Internet by SS. seems a little far fetched to me.

From what I have read, there were 'no' sealers in open boats. SS did not have a Canadian license to 'film' and that's what the coast guard was reacting to in trying to block their site of the slaughter. Then there was the big dispute over the incident because it happened in international waters.

Personally, I really don't understand anyone anywhere defending the commercial harvesting of seal pups for big business? Let alone 'sailors' who by nature love the sea and the creatures there in.
Old 28-01-2015, 23:18   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
There ya go Rustic Charm its in bold for ya

Barra, I missed him making that statement. Thank you for your patience in pointing that out. If I had seen it I would have reacted to it myself.

Clearly, you can't have something extinct, if they are still being fished. Perhaps, he was intending to mean 'in danger of going extinct' which was certainly the case in 1998.
Old 28-01-2015, 23:22   #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain58sailin View Post
If they were really brave they would go into Mexican waters and stop them from dumping crude oil into the sea from the flares on the offshore platforms, Green Peace too for that matter.
I'd like them to protest in our Tamar River due to the raw sewage being pumped into our river, but I guess they can't be everywhere doing everything.
Old 29-01-2015, 00:06   #125

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
ok, thanks for clarifying this. You made it up. I'm cool with that. But, keep in mind you keep claiming there's a SS propaganda machine and yet your admitting to having nothing it would appear to support your claims. And now you seem to be suggesting there's been a conspiracy to clean up the Internet by SS. seems a little far fetched to me.

From what I have read, there were 'no' sealers in open boats. SS did not have a Canadian license to 'film' and that's what the coast guard was reacting to in trying to block their site of the slaughter. Then there was the big dispute over the incident because it happened in international waters.

Personally, I really don't understand anyone anywhere defending the commercial harvesting of seal pups for big business? Let alone 'sailors' who by nature love the sea and the creatures there in.
Made it up? Wow. If it's not on the internet it must not be true. You didnt even know about the Farley Mowat before I educated you on it a few hours ago and now you're the world's leading expert.

You're exactly what Sea Sheppard needs to succeed. Gullible and blind to the possibility that the truth that's most convenient for you at the time, may not be the only truth.

Old 29-01-2015, 00:08   #126

You went from knowing nothing about it to reading a Wikipedia article and becoming an instant expert. If this is what passes for investigation in 2015 we are screwed as a species.

In fact you didn't even know that fouling a ships prop on the southern ocean was potentially dangerous a few hours ago. You really are very uneducated on the subject to be taking such a firm stance.

As far as protecting sealers goes- that's the job, that's what I signed up for, protect the citizens of the country whether I agree with what they're doing.

Do you have any idea how many dumb uneducated sailors I rescued when I was in the CG? I would think to myself this is natural selection, how could any body be dense enough to get themselves into this situation, but I would still help them. I wouldn't just let them drown.

At least fishermen generally have enough common sense and seamanship ability that if you need to help them out there's a reason beyond arrogance and ignorance- sailors of the yachtsman variety, usually deserve to be in the position they're in.

Old 29-01-2015, 00:29   #127

Quote:
Made it up? Wow. If it's not on the internet it must not be true. You didnt even know about the Farley Mowat before I educated you on it a few hours ago and now you're the world's leading expert.

You're exactly what Sea Sheppard needs to succeed. Gullible and blind to the possibility that the truth that's most convenient for you at the time, may not be the only truth.

"You didn't even know about the Farley Mowat before I edicated you on it a few hours ago". really? Can you quote something I said that gave you the impression I knew nothing about this ship?

I'm not sure why you think I knew 'nothing' about the Sea Shepherd ship. I've previously read quite a bit about its history. I've been following Sea Shepherd since the 90's. And I'm also aware that this 50 year old ship was well past its use by date, which is why Sea Shepherd 'failed, refused', to pay the port fees when it was impounded. It's also why they didn't even try to purchase the thing back for a measly 5000 pounds. It was a rust bucket that had met its life. The Canadian Government assisted in disposing of this old relic at no cost to Sea Shepherd.

I certainly admit I knew nothing, zero about this incident your claiming that involves the ship running down seal hunters in dingy's. I'm guilty, you educated me about it. the problem is I just can't find anything on the Internet that supports this claim. Then you seem to admitted that it didn't happen. So I assumed you made it up. Perhaps I was wrong, in which case please refer me to a newspaper clipping, link, anything that supports this allegation.

And then you claim that Utube has somehow been cleaned up by Sea Shepherd, to take away the what? The evidence of what you were claiming?

I'm not an expert, not even pretending to be. I'm not sure what you think you have educated me on just yet but I'm open to you explaining that to me.
Old 29-01-2015, 00:34   #128

So you deny that the Farley Mowat was within 5 cables of open work boats? You think the Des Grosiellers just happened to bump into the Farley Mowat. What exactly is it that I'm making up?

You think 5 cables is a reasonable distance to be from workers in open boats. I guess that goes along with your theory that prop fouling couldn't do anything but slow a boat down.

Old 29-01-2015, 00:37   #129

You realise the Captain and First Mate were not only both charged, but were both convicted. Or does your Wikipedia article not have that information?

Old 29-01-2015, 00:40   #130

Quote:
So you deny that the Farley Mowat was within 5 cables of open work boats? You think the Des Grosiellers just happened to bump into the Farley Mowat. What exactly is it that I'm making up?

You think 5 cables is a reasonable distance to be from workers in open boats. I guess that goes along with your theory that prop fouling couldn't do anything but slow a boat down.

No Familyvan, I do not think the 'Des Grosiellers just happened to bump into the Farley Mowat. I think like Sea Shepherd believes and all the papers at the time reported, the Des Grosiellers intentionally and in contravention of the law rammed the SS vessel. Des Grosiellers skipper at the time claimed it was just a graize and it was accidental.

I think this is now going around in circles. I'll leave the last word for you and bow out.
Old 29-01-2015, 00:44   #131

Contravention of international law? It was a Canadian Coast Guard ship in Canadian waters. They weren't in contravention of any laws. They were creating a barrier to protect citizens from a terrorist threat. You're into quoting stuff. Explain to me where it says in Canadian Law that a crown ship can't take whatever action is necessary to protect its citizens.

Old 29-01-2015, 00:48   #132

In fact, the CG was no doubt protecting the SS crew as much as the fisherman. The fishermen around there have a tendency to shoot at people who interfere with their fishery.

Old 29-01-2015, 05:44   #133

Boat: Skookum 53'

Hey Guys, this is another example of what gets a thread shut down. Has little or nothing to do with sailing and has degenerated into a political argument that is getting personal. I am not the minder, I have just seen this kind of thing before.
Old 29-01-2015, 06:05   #134

actually the Japanese are illegally hunting whales under the guise of research. The only research they are doing is how to prepare whale meet for the table
Old 29-01-2015, 06:08   #135

and the Japanese have a long history raping the Sea for any creature that swims. Not just their coastline but the coastlines of mamy other countries as well. I have no sympathy for them at all
Closed Thread