Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2015, 19:48   #106
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Is it now?

I don't sail around in a fleet of high tech whaling 'ships'!
I'm not illegally hunting whales in a sanctuary!

What does fouling a prop do? It slows them down. They may have to send divers over the side to free the prop. To date I think the record was a 12 hour delay and the devil of a thing was off hunting again.

Does it out sailors at risk? I doubt it. There not stranded at sea,
I think you did say that there was no risk aside from slowing the ships down.

Or did the Japanese government sneak into your house and write this post under your name in an effort to discredit you.

Yes, I do get it. It certainly seems the Japanese are poaching. They should probably be stopped. But two wrongs don't make a right.

Having said that, SS doesn't only target poachers. They also target legitimate fishermen trying to make a living at a cold and unforgiving job.

The Canadian seal hunt comes to mind. They no longer conduct terrorism in Canadian waters because the CCG and RCMP intervened, seized there assets and threw them in jail. You sure don't see them in New Brunswick or Newfoundland any more, because the Farley Mowat is still rusting away under police guard.

Now that's how you deal with pirates.


Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
FamilyVan is offline  
Old 28-01-2015, 19:51   #107
Registered User

Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Montreal
Boat: C&C 25
Posts: 115
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Your just not getting it are you?

No one disputes what can happen with a disabled vessel on the high seas. no one!

But these pirates who are illegally fishing for whales in a protective sanctuaries, and the other pirates, most likely Spanish backed illegally fishing for fish, are NOT out minding their own business or going about their legal occupations.

And your 100% right, no government currently has the balls to confiscate these pirates nets and vessels. Recently the New Zealand navy was given permission by the vessel's registered country to board one of these pirate ships but the NZ Navy decided it was too dangerous to board them when they wouldn't comply so just let them go.

Now, if these pirates were poaching in Russian waters, you can pretty well guarantee they would be sunk!

Now what's more dangerous in these 'high seas', SS tactics of throwing stink bombs, blocking fuel access and blocking carcass transfers or the military sinking them?

"These animals have a very well established history of ramming ships on the high seas. This new boat is going to get some one, possibly many people killed".

Yep, a bit of emotional but erroneous fact reporting. lol. What's the 'well established history'? Where's a link to this claim?

Frankly, I really don't give stuff for the safety of poachers, or the damn pirates off the East Coast of Africa.

Who gives SS the right to use force to achieve its means ? Vigilantism, thats all it is..

They are no better that the pirates of the coast of Somalia ..

If you want to address the issue of overfishing, and have an extra 12 mill lying around, plus another mill per month, then i would suggest a very well funded Awareness program and start educating the buyers of such foods.

That would bear a better result and gain immediate following..

So whats the real reason for SS
__________________

__________________
tightgroup is offline  
Old 28-01-2015, 19:53   #108
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I think you did say that there was no risk aside from slowing the ships down.

Or did the Japanese government sneak into your house and write this post under your name in an effort to discredit you.

Yes, I do get it. It certainly seems the Japanese are poaching. They should probably be stopped. But two wrongs don't make a right.

Having said that, SS doesn't only target poachers. They also target legitimate fishermen trying to make a living at a cold and unforgiving job.

The Canadian seal hunt comes to mind. They no longer conduct terrorism in Canadian waters because the CCG and RCMP intervened, seized there assets and threw them in jail. You sure don't see them in New Brunswick or Newfoundland any more, because the Farley Mowat is still rusting away under police guard.

Now that's how you deal with pirates.


Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
The Farley Mowat was an old rusty ship that SS failed to 'port fines' pay fines on. 'rusting away under police guard'.. nothing like a few good 'facts' to spread a story. here's a link. Have a read. lol.

RV Farley Mowat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 28-01-2015, 19:54   #109
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
I think you did say that there was no risk aside from slowing the ships down.

Or did the Japanese government sneak into your house and write this post under your name in an effort to discredit you.

Yes, I do get it. It certainly seems the Japanese are poaching. They should probably be stopped. But two wrongs don't make a right.

Having said that, SS doesn't only target poachers. They also target legitimate fishermen trying to make a living at a cold and unforgiving job.

The Canadian seal hunt comes to mind. They no longer conduct terrorism in Canadian waters because the CCG and RCMP intervened, seized there assets and threw them in jail. You sure don't see them in New Brunswick or Newfoundland any more, because the Farley Mowat is still rusting away under police guard.

Now that's how you deal with pirates.


Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Correction. The Farley Mowat was sold at government auction.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
FamilyVan is offline  
Old 28-01-2015, 20:09   #110
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
The Farley Mowat was an old rusty ship that SS failed to 'port fines' pay fines on. 'rusting away under police guard'.. nothing like a few good 'facts' to spread a story. here's a link. Have a read. lol.

RV Farley Mowat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Sea Sheppard failed to pay port fines because it was seized by the RCMP! After attempting to run down fishermen in open boats in an ice covered sea. Only the intervention of the CCG prevented the loss of life. They did what ice breakers do. They rammed them!

Jees. Talk about not knowing your facts.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
FamilyVan is offline  
Old 28-01-2015, 20:16   #111
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

You tube "Farley Mowat rammed by CCGS Des Grosiellers", then tell me they just forgot to pay some port fines.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________
FamilyVan is offline  
Old 28-01-2015, 20:25   #112
Registered User
 
Barra's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Western Australia
Boat: between boats
Posts: 808
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Facts Barra! Here is a link to the International Commission for the Conservation of Atlantic Tunas research page. If you scroll down to Blue Fin Tuna and check out the summary you will see that between 1998 and 2006 it is believe that Blue Fin Tuna has recuperated, BUT it's stipulated quite strongly that the research is fraught with problems that seriously question the data due to false and misleading data. Over fishing, poaching and massive understating of catch quota's make the data seriously unreliable.

So, whilst you are correct that they seem to be 'recovering', it's not due to 'moratoriums' but due to management. But the extent this is being successful is seriously an 'unknown'. Far from claiming that the fishery is 'far from extinction'.

https://www.iccat.int/en/assess.htm
You say "management" i say tomato

Either way the FACT is they are NOT EXTINCT!

Seriously though all this thread is proving is there are a whole lot of people with very few facts to go by sprouting opinion as if it is fact fed by the likes of SS propaganda machine
__________________
Barra is offline  
Old 28-01-2015, 22:36   #113
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
You say "management" i say tomato

Either way the FACT is they are NOT EXTINCT!

Seriously though all this thread is proving is there are a whole lot of people with very few facts to go by sprouting opinion as if it is fact fed by the likes of SS propaganda machine
No one suggested they were 'extinct'! Who suggested this?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 28-01-2015, 22:41   #114
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
You tube "Farley Mowat rammed by CCGS Des Grosiellers", then tell me they just forgot to pay some port fines.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Who said they 'forgot' to pay port fines? WHO?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 28-01-2015, 23:04   #115
Registered User
 
Rustic Charm's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Tasmania, Australia
Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Posts: 4,898
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by FamilyVan View Post
Sea Sheppard failed to pay port fines because it was seized by the RCMP! After attempting to run down fishermen in open boats in an ice covered sea. Only the intervention of the CCG prevented the loss of life. They did what ice breakers do. They rammed them!

Jees. Talk about not knowing your facts.

Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Now I've read a little I have a question of clarification for you FamilyVan, where did you get these facts from?

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just asking you for a link or 'something' that indicates these are true? Where do you claim SS was 'run down fisherman in open boats'? Where did you get 'only the intervention of CCG prevented the loss of life'?

And 'where' did you get the idea that the CCG intentionally rammed them? Because the CCG's response at the time was that it was an 'accidental graze' and denied ramming them?

So, just to clarify, where are you getting this from?
__________________
Rustic Charm is offline  
Old 28-01-2015, 23:26   #116
Wayfaring Mariner
 
captain58sailin's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Homer, AK is my home port
Boat: Skookum 53'
Posts: 4,045
Images: 5
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

If they were really brave they would go into Mexican waters and stop them from dumping crude oil into the sea from the flares on the offshore platforms, Green Peace too for that matter.
__________________
" Wisdom; is your reward for surviving your mistakes"
captain58sailin is offline  
Old 28-01-2015, 23:39   #117
Registered User
 
Andy73's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 229
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightgroup View Post
If you want to address the issue of overfishing, and have an extra 12 mill lying around, plus another mill per month, then i would suggest a very well funded Awareness program and start educating the buyers of such foods.
That would bear a better result and gain immediate following..
So whats the real reason for SS
I would argue that what SS has done with an internationally syndicated program has reached more consumers than any conventional awareness program could.
__________________
When you swim in the sea...
And an eel bites your knee...
... That's a morayyyyy
Andy73 is offline  
Old 28-01-2015, 23:44   #118
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
BINGO! That's the answer.

Too many of US!
Sssssshhhh no one likes to talk about that and certainly not about how to prevent the problem.

Too hard basket, let future generations deal with it

Soylent Green (1973) - Plot Summary - IMDb

Ooops, it's only 7 years away
__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline  
Old 28-01-2015, 23:56   #119
Registered User
 
hoppy's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 40
Posts: 2,842
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

One more off topic .....

The only public person I've ever heard addressing the elephant in the room


http://www.news.com.au/world/hillary...-1226560803039


I wonder what Bindi Irwin thinks about how Sea Shepard uses the boat that's named after her dad.
__________________
S/Y Jessabbé http://www.jessabbe.com/
hoppy is offline  
Old 28-01-2015, 23:57   #120
Registered User
 
FamilyVan's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 1,779
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
Now I've read a little I have a question of clarification for you FamilyVan, where did you get these facts from?

I'm not saying your wrong, I'm just asking you for a link or 'something' that indicates these are true? Where do you claim SS was 'run down fisherman in open boats'? Where did you get 'only the intervention of CCG prevented the loss of life'?

And 'where' did you get the idea that the CCG intentionally rammed them? Because the CCG's response at the time was that it was an 'accidental graze' and denied ramming them?

So, just to clarify, where are you getting this from?
Okay, they didn't run down any open boats. The CG intervened when the Farley Mowat was 5 cables away which is far too close to be cowboying around with a ship when men are working in open boats on ice flows. The CG identified that the lives of Canadian Citizens were at risk and stopped them before a loss of life occurred. That's kind of their job.

Accidental? Why don't you answer that question for yourself. Do you figure its logical that the Des Grosiellers just happened to bump into the Farley Mowat in the Cabot straight? With miles of sea room all around. The Des Grosiellers was based in Quebec city at the time, all the way across the gulf of st Lawrence. Or do you figure they had a purpose there. If you were the Captain of one of the crowns ships would you straight up admit that you rammed a rusty hulk full of hippies, especially when dealing with a propaganda machine like SS?

Where am i getting this from? I didn't find out about SS when they started creating bloody entertainment for the unwashed masses when they started airing whale wars. There was a lot of news coverage of this event at the time. If you missed the coverage you missed the coverage. I was following the storey closely at the time. I don't have a source to quote but I can tell you this. You want me to quote an internet source? Well some of us do our learning by participating in life, not just researching it on the internet.

SS has since cleaned up the videos you see on YouTube in an effort to polish their image. The original videos showed the open work boats and how closely SS was working to them. Remember SS is a propaganda machine first and everything else second.



Sent from my SGH-I547C using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
__________________

__________________
FamilyVan is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Its Not How Much Someone Costs, Its What You Bring to the Table. s/v Beth Our Community 27 28-02-2012 10:50
Sea-sick German Shepherd Dog Derrick Serrer Families, Kids and Pets Afloat 7 02-09-2008 08:12



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 09:04.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.