Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2015, 12:27   #46

Boat: 35' Jeanneau Espace 1000 DL
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

You Sea sheperds supporters: If you are veggies,I truly respect your choices and opinions. Your opinions could be just as valid, or more, as mine After watching the movie "earthlings" I went veggie for a month or so, but have to admit, I need my beef.. But then, If you are not.. What standards do you adhere to when selecting the animals wich are ok to eat? Their Intelligence? Their "cuteness"? Their ability to communicate pain? (cause they all feel it, fish too.) I can't find a easy answer to these questions, but have ended up thinking that quality of life has to be the most important factor.

So I have to respectfully disagree with those of you wich are violently against whaling , but eat farmed chicken, veal, foie gras and such. Pork and beef too.

I eat meat but try to eat as little farmed meat as possible. I do hunt when I get the opportunity and yes , I would eat whale. Got a much bigger ethical problem with chicken.

The funniest thing yet in whale wars was in one of the first seasons when one of the crew, when asked "what are you looking most forward to when coming ashore?" Where he answered "a big steak"!!

But sea sheperds and the japanese "researchers".. Calling this research is just silly. call it what it is, fancy food for the posh and rich upper class in Japan.

And intentionally fouling the prop of another vessel on the high seas should get you keelhauled.. by the captain of the offended ship!

edit: About Mr. Watsons seamaship.. apart from the nasty prop-fouling business.. He has managed to get all the greenies home alive from the worlds nastiest waters.. Came close a coupple of times , but still..
And he was the only one who dared to go looking for the Berzerk expedition sailboat , after they went missing in a storm , shortly after the NZ coastguard probably forced them from safe achorage. In a storm he described as the freakiest one he had ever seen..

I say stop that prop-fouling stuff , and keep making funny television until the japanese stop blaming it on "research"

.manitu
Old 27-01-2015, 12:39   #47

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by manitu View Post
You Sea sheperds supporters: If you are veggies,I truly respect your choices and opinions. Your opinions could be just as valid, or more, as mine After watching the movie "earthlings" I went veggie for a month or so, but have to admit, I need my beef.. But then, If you are not.. What standards do you adhere to when selecting the animals wich are ok to eat? Their Intelligence? Their "cuteness"? Their ability to communicate pain? (cause they all feel it, fish too.) I can't find a easy answer to these questions, but have ended up thinking that quality of life has to be the most important factor.

So I have to respectfully disagree with those of you wich are violently against whaling , but eat farmed chicken, veal, foie gras and such. Pork and beef too.

I eat meat but try to eat as little farmed meat as possible. I do hunt when I get the opportunity and yes , I would eat whale. Got a much bigger ethical problem with chicken.

The funniest thing yet in whale wars was in one of the first seasons when one of the crew, when asked "what are you looking most forward to when coming ashore?" Where he answered "a big steak"!!

But sea sheperds and the japanese "researchers".. Calling this research is just silly. call it what it is, fancy food for the posh and rich upper class in Japan.

And intentionally fouling the prop of another vessel on the high seas should get you keelhauled.. by the captain of the offended ship!

.manitu
What an odd illogical post. Chickens are not endangered! Are they?

And you don't have to be a vegan to volunteer on SS you just have to agree to live as a vegan whilst on it.
Old 27-01-2015, 13:04   #48

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoShoes View Post
Stop the over fishing plunder and the sharks can go back to eating fish like they used to, but now have found aussie surfers tastey.

Sharks are deep water critters and this insane overfishing have brought them out of the depths. They used to eat orange ruffies, now all those are gone, so whadda expect.

Its nice these people can get funded to ride in a new boat, but I would think it would be more helpful if they bought a big ass tanker converted into a garbage scow and go clean the plastic out of the oceans and sink fishing boats, them big commercial ones!
I'm not sure I entirely agree but I do with the gist of you post.
Old 27-01-2015, 13:13   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rustic Charm View Post
What an odd illogical post. Chickens are not endangered! Are they?

And you don't have to be a vegan to volunteer on SS you just have to agree to live as a vegan whilst on it.
Why do we preserve wildlife?? would it be okay to farm whales in your opinion?

We breed freaks of nature to eat, animals wich has no place in the nature , and would not survive in it either. We destroy our wild salmon with escaped farmed salmon full of diseases. We destroy the wildlife's natural habitat with monster farms with cattle and monocultures. we breed enormous populations of chicken in tiny cages , and feed them so much that broken legs are the norm nowadays.. But somehow this is all ok to get our meat, just not hunt cute or intelligent annimals for it???

And offcourse I'm against hunting endangered species. So the japanese should quit calling it research , and argument for hunting based on internationally respected countings , wich they now just dont bother with.

But I'm just as much against chopping down rainforrest , endangering lots of species, just to farm cattle for european beef eaters.

And worst of all, we, the west, toss half our food in the bin!!!
AAaahhrrgh!

My point is that these are complicated matters , and they need to be adressed.

.manitu
Old 27-01-2015, 13:27   #50

Boat: Rhodes Reliant 41ft

Let me make sure I understand this. A supposedly intelligent land-dweller, for entertainment, gets on a small float that looks like the seal, which sharks JUST LOVE, and is then pissed off when the shark tries to eat them. Gotta be the funniest thing I have heard so far this week.
Old 27-01-2015, 13:28   #51

Quote:

We breed freaks of nature to eat, animals wich has no place in the nature , and would not survive in it either. We destroy our wild salmon with escaped farmed salmon full of diseases. We destroy the wildlife's natural habitat with monster farms with cattle and monocultures. we breed enormous populations of chicken in tiny cages , and feed them so much that broken legs are the norm nowadays.. But somehow this is all ok to get our meat, just not hunt cute or intelligent annimals for it???

And offcourse I'm against hunting endangered species. So the japanese should quit calling it research , and argument for hunting based on internationally respected countings , wich they now just dont bother with.

But I'm just as much against chopping down rainforrest , endangering lots of species, just to farm cattle for european beef eaters.

AAaahhrrgh!

.manitu
At this point I am not sure if I agree or disagree with your post. I got totally lost? I think I probably do? Slow down and explain one point at a time. It might just my stupidity?
Old 27-01-2015, 13:32   #52

Quote:

AAaahhrrgh!

.manitu
Well Manitu, I don't find myself disagreeing with you at all. Just an odd way to begin. or was it sarcasm. I'm not that great with social conventions.
Old 27-01-2015, 14:03   #53

Quote:

.manitu
In all honestly, ( I know this will get a wide response), what's wrong with prop fouling on the high seas or any other sea for that matter?

Seriously?

Would it be ok to prop foul pirates operating off the East Coast of Africa? I get so irritated at the softly softly approach about pirates.

If The Japanese and the 'possibly' Spanish syndicates continue poaching in the Southern Atlantic, then prop fouling to me seems to be a fairly light and safe option. It's better than shooting at them with a disabling shot to the engine bay's or something similar which would certainly happen if they were in Russian waters.

Of course, there is the 'court' option. Which is yet to be seen will work with the Japanese whaling. The court action that occurred took almost ten years to initiate, by an NGO. Ten years! And you certainly can't go to court with the Spanish poaching fleets, because it's not known for sure who own them.
Old 27-01-2015, 14:37   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
At this point I am not sure if I agree or disagree with your post. I got totally lost? I think I probably do? Slow down and explain one point at a time. It might just my stupidity?
Looking at my first post now, I see that the first paragraph is missing, and I cant edit the post now.

I just tried to ask a question, without offending anyone.
How do we select wich animals who are okay to eat.
Wich criteria , based on reason, needs to be put first? And second? and third?

My point was that we who feel we need some meat must admit that wherever it comes from, it has impact on nature.
I think we must try to define wich impacts we can tolerate, on wich ecosystems.
I feel that we need to focus more on the quality of life the animals have, than the pain they feel when it ends. Offcourse, we must still not allow unhumane killing, and not allow any more pain than absolute needed.No more than in a comparable animal-animal hunt as a MINIMUM standard.

And we must stop right now destroying big ecosystems on the other side of the world just to get cheap beef.

I dont claim to have all the answers, but we need to listen to wise men who has this as their expertise, and use reason. we should get our food from the more robust ecosystems we have, trying to inflict as little pain as possible. But it is so easy to appeal to people's feelings, so that is what the media do.

Oh, and please point out if I screw up my wording , english is my second language, and I'm trying to advance my english skills. I'm gonna need it badly on my world cruise if my spanish doesn't start to make sense soon...

.manitu
Old 27-01-2015, 14:53   #55

Quote:
Looking at my first post now, I see that the first paragraph is missing, and I cant edit the post now.

I just tried to ask a question, without offending anyone.
How do we select wich animals who are okay to eat.
Wich criteria , based on reason, needs to be put first? And second? and third?

My point was that we who feel we need some meat must admit that wherever it comes from, it has impact on nature.
I think we must try to define wich impacts we can tolerate, on wich ecosystems.
I feel that we need to focus more on the quality of life the animals have, than the pain they feel when it ends. Offcourse, we must still not allow unhumane killing, and not allow any more pain than absolute needed.No more than in a comparable animal-animal hunt as a MINIMUM standard.

And we must stop right now destroying big ecosystems on the other side of the world just to get cheap beef.

I dont claim to have all the answers, but we need to listen to wise men who has this as their expertise, and use reason. we should get our food from the more robust ecosystems we have, trying to inflict as little pain as possible. But it is so easy to appeal to people's feelings, so that is what the media do.

Oh, and please point out if I screw up my wording , english is my second language, and I'm trying to advance my english skills. I'm gonna need it badly on my world cruise if my spanish doesn't start to make sense soon...

.manitu
Don't worry about you English. It's my first and yours may be as good or better that mine.
Old 27-01-2015, 15:00   #56

Quote:
In all honestly, ( I know this will get a wide response), what's wrong with prop fouling on the high seas or any other sea for that matter?

Seriously?

Would it be ok to prop foul pirates operating off the East Coast of Africa? I get so irritated at the softly softly approach about pirates.

How is fouling a vessels prop NOT an act of piracy , as long as that vessel isn't attacking you?
Whatever you feel about whaling, there has to be people on those boats that don't deserve to die. In a tough workers market , were do you draw the line on what you are willing to do to feed your kids?

And if they ever got truly lucky in their prop-fouling attempts, as they easily could do with a bigger and faster boat, thats what we are talking about. Putting other sailors, some not THAT guilty, in grave danger.

And it is bound to escalate the conflict, putting young (and old) idealists who follow their hearts , and sometimes do not fully understand the situation or the risk, in grave danger too.

.manitu
Old 27-01-2015, 15:00   #57
S/V rubber ducky

Boat: Hunter 410

Quote:
Apparently Sea Shepherd has received it's biggest ever donation. 12.8 Million Euros.

New vessel for Sea Shepherd | The Examiner
what anchor are they going to buy for it?
Old 27-01-2015, 15:02   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
A new type, made from lentils. Very heavy on the system, totally vegan.
Old 27-01-2015, 15:10   #59

Quote:
How is fouling a vessels prop NOT an act of piracy , as long as that wessel isn't attacking you?
Whatever you feel about whaling, there has to be people on those boats that don't deserve to die. In a tough workers market , were do you draw the line on what you are willing to do to feed your kids?

And if they ever got truly lucky in their prop-fouling attempts, as they easily could do with a bigger and faster boat, thats what we are talking about. Putting other sailors, some not THAT guilty, in grave danger.

And it is bound to escalate the conflict, putting young idealists who follow their hearts , and do not fully understand the situation or the risk, in grave danger too..manitu
How is fouling their prop's killing crew?

SS use this tactic because if it works, it is effective and non violent (that will get a reaction). The tactic slows the vessel and causes hours of delays therefore halting whaling for a period of time. That's the intent.

And enough with the 'young idealists'. SS is staffed by people of all different ages, experiences and training. The whole idea that they simply take on young people with no training and experience is just plain silly and contrary to what actually happens.

And 'how is it NOT piracy'. Just refer to a definition, ' a person who attacks and robs ships'. Or some other definition, they are all of the same essense. A pirate is a person who attacks ships for gain. I can't see how any of SS's activities fall into being a 'pirate'. and yes, I know they fly the jolly roger, but it's a 'joke', it's not meant to be taken seriously.

(and your written English is pretty good me things. )
Old 27-01-2015, 15:16   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Yeah, wich anchor shape or brand has least enviromental impact, and wich , totally diferent one is easiest to pass off a a "green" anchor ? And wich one of those do you think they'll choose? And are they going to dive on it??

.manitu