Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2015, 02:22   #31

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch
Re: Sea Shepherd adding yet another to its fleet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barra View Post
Gee whiz no one actually reads anyones posts do they? It seems not anyway

I didnt say that conservation of sharks is a local issue only. its not now and nor do i want it to be. Im just saying the idea that someone in new orleans for example or even tassie should think they have some kind of a right to tell off the WA government for trying to stop imminent threats to their populace is just plain wrong.

Its not a "kill them all" or cull or anything else. If it was then ok tell us off. but until then its polite to just stay out of local public safety issues just like i do in New Orleons or elsewhere where its none of my business.
Ummmm, after reading this, let me say again,

"Barra, the idea that conservation of a species is local business only is quite outdated and has been repeatedly proven to be a world wide loss, not just national (Australia) or state. I'm not aware of 'Gators' being in any sense endangered, but if they were it would be my business as well as everyone else's regardless of where they live. And your back yard is also my back yard. It's just a matter of perspective."

Conservation Of a species in Western Australia IS my business, and it is also the business of someone in another part of the world.

And 'yes' the WA governments approach IS to indiscriminately kill them. That's what bait lines do. It's not targeting dangerous sharks, it targets all Sharks. Thats my business.
Old 27-01-2015, 05:22   #32

Boat: Kaufman 47

Quote:
Have you actually read my posts????

I think not.

I never said lets "kill all the sharks"

or to remove them"for the sake of it"

or that they are "eating everyone"

I said that if particular large sharks are an "imminent threat" (yes thats in itallics because it is a defined term which typically doesnt form part of an "aimless plan") then they should be removed before they kill someone.

Thats far less of an impact than your "harvesting" of gators for "population control" that is somehow ok in your book. Nonetheless I wouldnt dream of telling you what is appropriate re gators. Not so for you and my backyard though it seems.
You keep saying imminent threat to the populous, how is this a threat to the general population of Australia? Or even western Australia? It's not, it's a imminent threat to surfers who are swimming in areas known to be shark territories. How is 1 fatal attack a year(taken from your home land's government site) imminent threat? Even two is quite a fraction of the "populous".

There are just as many deaths, actually I think it's average 2 a year in Australia, by snakes. Should we, by your logic, start" removing" them as well? What about crocodiles?

Quote:
I didnt say that conservation of sharks is a local issue only.
Yes you did:

Here.

Quote:
But if you did want to put out some nets in dnager zones or order a catch and kill after an attack or even just befoe a likely one I wouldnt get invovved cos its none of my business
And here.

Quote:
I know your from Tassie and all mate but Manly is about 5300km from SW Austalia which is where SS chose to get involved. Nice safe seats to feel all green and fuzzy warm from since NSW still uses shark nets.

WTF Ricky Gervais, Richard Branson??? How does their opinion matter???
Like i said they dont count - their lives or those of their friends and family are not in danger

Seashepherd made it about sharks when they took up the cause. Go and save the nice non human eating whales from the Japs and leave us to try and keep safe while pursuing our watersports
Also here.

Quote:
I agree with you too RR but the value of an opinion can and should be different in different circumstances. ie in this case its easy to be all pro conservation in your opinion if you or your loved ones are at no risk of attack

I am pro sea life conversation too (if you sail how can you not be?) and was a donator to SS but the rising large shark population has forced difficult issues to be faced locally here. With few facts its been sensationalised beyond belief!

What has been enlightening to me at least was how social media and organisations like SS have made it a global issue but from the perspective of people with no real personal risk in this issue.
And here as well..

QUOTE=Barra;1734191] Its not a "kill them all" or cull or anything else. If it was then ok tell us off. but until then its polite to just stay out of local public safety issues just like i do in New Orleons or elsewhere where its none of my business.[/QUOTE]

Do you even read your own posts? You contradict yourself.

Some of us would like our next generations to be able to see these sharks alive and not become extinct because some surfers thought they were imminent threats to the populous.

Don't blame the shark for you not like the consequences of the risk you take to enjoy your sport. Accept it or don't surf. I don't blame gators if they bit me if I'm walking in their part of the bayou, I understood the risk.

- Ronnie...on the geaux
Old 27-01-2015, 08:31   #33

Boat: Scout 30

We support the Sea Shepherds. They've exposed the despicable practice of killing whales for food to millions of Americans that would otherwise know nothing about it. People never seem to have a problem rationalizing environmental destruction for personal gain. What amazes me is people that defend it.
Old 27-01-2015, 08:49   #34
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I fully support paul watson

go Sea Shepherds

dave
Old 27-01-2015, 08:50   #35
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

We have been sailing in the Indian Ocean for many years and really could do with these guys here. We occasionally have seen seine nets, which are illegal, stretching beyond the horizon. So many times I have wanted to launch my dinghy and cut the tow lines - which are steel cored. The trouble then is what do we do? We have many kilometers of nets that shall continue to kill everything that swims into it. We could not haul it aboard so we are forced to leave them be. We also have seen Taiwanese and Japanese trawlers operating within marine reserves. It is infuriating. They pay not the blindest bit of notice to our objections or that we have photographed them. For the last few years fish have become much more scarce as have the Far Eastern boats that have cleaned the sea, and the sea bed, of everything. The trouble is that no-one else seems to give a damn.
Old 27-01-2015, 08:54   #36
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.

Agree with their mission. Disagree with many of their methods. Ship is operated in a very unprofessional manner.

Life begins where land ends.
Old 27-01-2015, 08:54   #37
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

seems like 12 million euros would be better used to invest in what's left of the failing european union instead of worrying about japanese whale boats
Old 27-01-2015, 09:40   #38

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
seems like 12 million euros would be better used to invest in what's left of the failing european union instead of worrying about japanese whale boats
That's silly!
12 million euros would be insignificant to the European economy but can be a very significant part of protecting the marine ecosystem.
Old 27-01-2015, 10:31   #39

The most endangered species in our waters is the fishermen and I wish these cowboys would stop taking the law into there own hands, if you ask me it's them that are the criminals
Old 27-01-2015, 10:43   #40

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Support the sharks. They have been around longer that us. If we predicate everything on our needs for fun, we can kiss off our future. The finning is already decimating the sharks.
Old 27-01-2015, 10:56   #41

Boat: Scout 30

How many fisheries have to collapse before fishermen understand that conservation is in their own best interests.
Old 27-01-2015, 11:24   #42
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: V45

I agree with suporting fishermen the same as I support farmers. The 'but' is defining them. I dont support conglomerates with their artificial farming methods (GM and chemicals) nor the fishing vessels that rape and pillage the sea, and the sea bed, leaving nothing but a marine desert behind them. Try diving the shallow area's and see the results. There is nothing left. I do not class these as fishermen but rather as villains. It seems as though very little is done to prevent this type of action and this where SS can play an active role.
Old 27-01-2015, 11:26   #43

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scout 30 View Post
How many fisheries have to collapse before fishermen understand that conservation is in their own best interests.
I think many do. I really support SS's intent. Just not the method.

And especially, "Capt. Paul". This guy may get the crew to drink the cool aid. Jim Jones. They maybe should spend it in the courts or to sway international opinion, rather than show boating?
Old 27-01-2015, 11:35   #44

Boat: cheoy lee 35 (perry)

Stop the over fishing plunder and the sharks can go back to eating fish like they used to, but now have found aussie surfers tastey.

Sharks are deep water critters and this insane overfishing have brought them out of the depths. They used to eat orange ruffies, now all those are gone, so whadda expect.

Its nice these people can get funded to ride in a new boat, but I would think it would be more helpful if they bought a big ass tanker converted into a garbage scow and go clean the plastic out of the oceans and sink fishing boats, them big commercial ones!
Old 27-01-2015, 11:39   #45

Eat the whales and save the krill.
How many krill does each whale eat.?
What the difference for size.
Col. Patron of the krill.
Closed Thread